Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

West Ham Home - Post Match Thread (4-1)

When we press hard, run at defences, pass the ball with speed and precision and take our chances - like we did last night - we are a spellbinding team to watch.

From the word go we were ‘at it’ and every player contributed to one of our best and most important wins of the season.

It helped of course that we were playing a team led by one of the country’s most over-rated managers. I think (hope) they will go down with Moyes.

PS Their penalty award was a disgrace. And for VAR not to turn it over even more so.

• Like 2

Really good performance last night. Very comfortable. As for the penalty I think if the ref goes to the little T.V he changes his mind, but VAR would never over rule it. Despite (from the front angle on MOTD atleast) it appearing haller shouldering into N'didi and then lunging a leg out and across. 

But fantastic performance last night good to be some what back. Hopefully that's the poor patch done and dusted now.

Edited by ARTY_FOX
  • Like 1

Had to watch that on replay after work, but a really impressive performance.  A little dip in the first 20 minutes of the second half when West Ham's subs really helped them (Antonio was excellent) but on balance one of our best games of the year.  The first half especially was a clinic.  WH are bad and that helps you look good, but we were good too.  Only 1 allowed on a soft penalty, and fully earned the 4 we got.

MOTM for me were Barnes, Ricardo, Perez and Maddison.  All lights-out.  Chilwell was terrific too (my God, we're so much better when he plays and not Fuchs, especially when he's aggressive and unafraid to make long runs to the center of the pitch) - he and Tielemans looked like they had their spark back.  Where the heck has this been for the past few weeks?

Edited by Deeg67

Noat to worreh abaht like.

From the first whistle we were out to win, whatever had been said, sorted, understood, implemented, it worked.

Last night was a pleasure to watch again.

It was disappointing to see Mendy get injured, that's right another player did get injured other than Vardy. 

He was out of the blocks and charging, really reminded me of Kante at points. I just hope that his injury wasn't because he can't actually play at that pace and he just broke. Hope it's nowt too serious, same too to Vardy!

Barnes answered a lot of questions last night, fair play to him. We all know that's his level, so it's for him now to work towards maintaining that performance regularly (said as I sit working in my pyjamas :mellow:)

Ricardo was ridiculous, those are the performances that, sorry to say, will make it hard for us to keep him. 

That's the copy we need for the Villa game next week, for sure. 

The whole everything was back, that was a top 4 performance and Champo's league is ours to lose now.

It's a weird old league, I'd say the most competitive Prem in years and all set to the leaders, potentially, 19 points ahead, bizarre. 

Edited by Danny Clender

One word sums up last night for me. Quickness.

Quickenss of thought, passing, movement off the ball and pressing, the latter done properly, organised in numbers and for pretty much the whole match.

Ok so West Ham were poor but our excellent perfomance made them look worse than they are. Really need to keep this level of perfoance up now.

Tielemans was absolutely terrific. Some of his passes were brilliant. Some were simple but took us forward  and the speed he moved the ball much much better. Ihenacho was really good I thought. For our second goal he quickly realised he would be offside if he played the ball, let in run through for Barnes and his cross was perfection. But what impressed me was Kelechi's movement off the ball. He made run after run just peeling off the central defender and into the space behind the full back. Most of the time we didn't use him but he didn't let their defence settle and he showed great determination for the run which ended up in our penalty.

Special mention to the ref who gave one of the worst perfomances I've seen down here in quite a while.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, reynard said:

Wow. Is this correct? Is everyone just really bad at corners then because I hardly ever think we are going to score from one.

I'm pretty sure it is. We were joint second until Burnley scored against us last week, then they went ahead of us.

It's just that scoring from corners is very difficult in the modern game, more so than it looks. In reality Maddison has a good delivery, but it doesn't seem like it because teams defend corners very well generally.

Really solid all round performance last night. Particularly pleased for Perez, Barnes, Tielemans and Chilwell who all went into the game with slight question marks above them but all stepped up big time.

Was also good to see Soyuncu and Evans switch back to what looks their natural position on the left and right respectively. Always good to see a manger admit he got it wrong and change something back as opposed to keep plugging away through stubborn pride.

West Ham just need an identity and style of playing. Always hear about the “West Ham way” but watching that you’d struggle to say what it is.

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I'm pretty sure it is. We were joint second until Burnley scored against us last week, then they went ahead of us.

It's just that scoring from corners is very difficult in the modern game, more so than it looks. In reality Maddison has a good delivery, but it doesn't seem like it because teams defend corners very well generally.

Completely agree. Also teams are more likely to score from short corners yet fans often moan when players take one. I think a lot of fans just think we’re rubbish because they only ever concentrate on our corners but in general they’re just really hard to score from. I think overall less than 1% of all corners lead to a goal. X

We've already scored 52 goals this season, which is seriously impressive. We scored 68 in 15/16 so I would be quite surprised if we didn't beat that tally.

Squad.thumb.png.e07d6c659851979a1295061988a55754.png

Here's a look at our squad and I think this is seriously impressive. In 15/16 we were carried by Mahrez and Vardy, but this season we have a really good all round contribution. Perez and Barnes' numbers are picking up, Maddison has been very good, Ricardo absurd and don't take for granted contributions from Chilwell, Nacho, Tielemans and even Dennis Praet. For me this is the best all round Leicester team we've had maybe ever. So many good players all over the pitch that can do serious damage. 

It does perhaps show though that next season we need some additional attacking options on the bench. Gray always seems to do well when he comes on, but stats wise he and Albrighton are rather lacking. Both are still solid players but when teams like Liverpool have Shaqiri on the bench it shows the level of depth we lack.

Anyway it's still very positive reading!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’ve just realised that when Vardy goes off I don’t in the slightest think that Nacho will come on and let us down ...   in fact I think he is a brilliant replacement !   He looks hungry and exciting and can turn a game.   Wasn’t that long ago I was baying for his head and calling him a complete waste of money ...     how wrong I was.  Sorry Nacho ...   I should have had a little more faith....   the ugly duckling has turned into a brilliant swan !  ..  and according to our Brendan has lots of room for improvement.   Hats off to you ...:worship:

What a performance. Barnes in particular was very good. I know he has his critics but he is a young and developing player who is worth sticking with. I hope when he has a bad game, his critics take a sensible approach and don’t just jump on his back. 

We have two cup games and then a run of three very tough games. Having a potential 14 point lead (subject to Wolves losing today) going into that run, gives us a great platform going into Feb. 

Thought we were excellent last night, now lets be honest the Hammers were pants, so an element of you look good against poor teams, but hey we didn't get it done against Burnley!!

But from literally the off, we played the ball around a lot quicker at the back, which set the agenda and we had so much of the play in the first 20 mins and they all got confidence from that, great job, Wilf back, Perez, Barnes and Nacho all played well above too.

The direction of the season will be enormously influenced in the next 10 days:

1) Possible 5th round of the cup, and Brentford have a big game against Forest on Tuesday which means they might rotate

2) Villa - 1st cup final for 20 years if we win

3) Chelsea @ home - beat them and 3rd is there to lose.

COYB, lets really hope last night's form continues for 10 days and the fans can really get behind them at all grounds.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

United 2 down, if it stays this way 14clear of 5th with 14 to play.

28 points now to make certain of Champions League- that’s if Spurs, United etc don’t drop any points.

I can feel a spreadsheet coming on! :brendan_still:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1