Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

I think we're supposed to stay at home apart from essential stuff, and avoid unnecessary travelling aren't we? 

I guess that's the latest advice Deb, yeah.

But if I stay at home and decide I need to nip out to buy bog roll (which I do) when I'm actually doing more harm than meeting my Mum in her garden.

Not sure what to do for the best really (P.S. I'd order stuff on-line but there's no delivery time slots available at all for the next 4 weeks now)

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I guess that's the latest advice Deb, yeah.

But if I stay at home and decide I need to nip out to buy bog roll (which I do) when I'm actually doing more harm than meeting my Mum in her garden.

Not sure what to do for the best really (P.S. I'd order stuff on-line but there's no delivery time slots available at all for the next 4 weeks now)

It’s a personal decision whether the tiny (but not zero) risk is one you’re willing to take.

There’s so much we don’t know about this virus. We think 2m is probably fine based on similar viruses, but we don’t have studies on this one to say this applies for sure.

Just going to leave this here. One anecdotal account, so make of it what you will.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, brucey said:

It’s a personal decision whether the tiny (but not zero) risk is one you’re willing to take.

There’s so much we don’t know about this virus. We think 2m is probably fine based on similar viruses, but we don’t have studies on this one to say this applies for sure.

Just going to leave this here. One anecdotal account, so make of it what you will.

Somber reading, thanks.

I'm still not sure how we get around the supermarket crowding issue (as a nation) though...

45 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

He needs to stand in front of a camera with a very precise script and address people in no uncertain terms. Just like Varadkar and Macron have done, and Rutte did but with a slightly different message. Or maybe the Queen should do it. The comms is an absolute shambles. Having seen Alastair Campbell's blog today, oh how we need someone like that back. 

Your post prompted me to look this up, it's an intersting read. Personally, I agree with most of what it says.

Link below for anyone else interested:

https://alastaircampbell.org/2020/03/time-for-johnson-to-get-serious-about-crisis-management-skills-my-twenty-check-points-for-his-briefing-team/

• Thanks 1

Just been forwarded this and not sure if it’s been posted yet.

Proper shit me up tbh.

edit: sorry, just seen it was posted a few hours ago. If you haven’t heard it yet, you need to 

Edited by Izzy

25 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I was just thinking how Theresa May would be preferable. She was good during the Salisbury situation and she's hella risk averse so we'd probably have locked down 6 weeks ago

Johnson might have better political instincts but despite her reputation I actually think May comes across a bit more human. Addressing the nation using words like sedulously is a very bad reading of the situation. Direct and clear communication from the government is necessary, more visual and graphical information is needed as well. For me at least, it properly sunk in seeing videos on exponential growth and what’s happened in Italy - it’s too easy to feel disconnected from what’s actually happening when the current communication from Johnson isn’t concise enough. Even if it is to avoid further panic it’s irresponsible 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, brucey said:

It airborne and hes sat, probably facing his mate for a good chunk of time about a foot away. People need to get out their head they can't leave the house at all, you can go for walk or run or a bike ride, but just don't stop to chat to your mate for half an hour, or sit outside a cafe having a brew with a friend. Its social distancing, it is what it says, distance yourself socially, it isn't house arrest.

Highly unfortunate IMVHO that you’ve ended up with Boris Johnson in charge at a time like this. He’s proved with Brexit that he’s a risk taker, and that in my opinion is the opposite of what is currently needed. Whatever people thought of Brexit, for or against, there is surely little doubt that it entails great risk.

What is needed here by leaders of all nations is to get on top of this by taking radical action at an early stage. The effects lag actions by several weeks, so by the time the effects are clear it is too late to take the appropriate actions. To be effective, the actions needed (social distancing, lockdowns, testing, quarantining, etc) will seem like an overreaction at the time they are taken.

Edit: Not really having a go at Boris, he is what he is and I can’t believe Corbyn would have been better. I’d rather have Theresa May in charge.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, String fellow said:

This has lots of sobering information, taken from an American perpective.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

This is an absolutely brilliant read, and in some ways quite optimistic conclusion that there might be another way to tackle the problem (like South Korea, Singapore, etc) that doesn’t lead to the catastrophic outcomes inherent in the mitigation strategy. 

Basically, get control early with extra strong measures to socially distance and isolate, with ongoing control by extensive testing and tracing. All the time building up Health System capacity, gearing up production and use of PPE, and developing new treatments through research.

I read the UCL report than was linked in that article and is focused on the UK. 

If you can read the article referenced above, I would strongly recommend you read the report by UCL which is focused on the UK.

But the main conclusion is pretty sobering once you get to it. We've recently adopted the suppression strategy moving from the mitigation strategy (herd immunity and so on) and you can probably understand why HM Govt about-faced when you're looking at a quarter of a million dead. UCL estimates 18 months until a viable vaccine becomes available. We should prepare for many months of this with a rise and fall in numbers of cases, and perhaps a secondary peak around Oct/Nov starting again until a vaccine becomes available. Need more data to refine.

52 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

It airborne and hes sat, probably facing his mate for a good chunk of time about a foot away. People need to get out their head they can't leave the house at all, you can go for walk or run or a bike ride, but just don't stop to chat to your mate for half an hour, or sit outside a cafe having a brew with a friend. Its social distancing, it is what it says, distance yourself socially, it isn't house arrest.

Is it airborne? I was under the impression is was transferred via droplets on surfaces?

23 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Highly unfortunate IMVHO that you’ve ended up with Boris Johnson in charge at a time like this. He’s proved with Brexit that he’s a risk taker, and that in my opinion is the opposite of what is currently needed. Whatever people thought of Brexit, for or against, there is surely little doubt that it entails great risk.

What is needed here by leaders of all nations is to get on top of this by taking radical action at an early stage. The effects lag actions by several weeks, so by the time the effects are clear it is too late to take the appropriate actions. To be effective, the actions needed (social distancing, lockdowns, testing, quarantining, etc) will seem like an overreaction at the time they are taken.

Edit: Not really having a go at Boris, he is what he is and I can’t believe Corbyn would have been better. I’d rather have Theresa May in charge.

The trouble is it's all well and good saying we needed to overreact. But take a look around you, we've just shut all societal businesses and people still aren't listening when things are this bad. Imagine if we'd have immediately gone balls deep, locked everything down, confined people to houses, blocked all flights coming in and just told people "it's for a reason", no one would have bought it. Look at the first couple of pages of this thread, do you really think people would have accepted it? Throw police and army on the streets, we'd have had riots, DICTATOR TORIES, STEALING OUR FREEDOM! 

For all the failures of the government during this outbreak, and imo, they've been many, between panic shopping and taking zero notice of advice, the people of Britain are just as culpable for this mess. The worst thing is it's not even a select age group, it's a general large proportion of arrogant, self-entitled cvnts. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Is it airborne? I was under the impression is was transferred via droplets on surfaces?

You're right. It is technically 'airborne' for the few seconds when it might be coughed or sneezed out and into the air - upto 11ft at current estimates. But it's the droplets on the surfaces, and their ability to live for (relatively) long periods which is the real problem - and the one you identify.

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

The most common method of infection is via inhaling droplets in the air (produced when the other person is talking, coughing, sneezing).

But airborne (defined as finer mist, like from air conditioning) and surfaces (settled droplets or direct touch contamination) are also possibilities.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

For all the failures of the government during this outbreak, and imo, they've been many, between panic shopping and taking zero notice of advice, the people of Britain are just as culpable for this mess. The worst thing is it's not even a select age group, it's a general large proportion of arrogant, self-entitled cvnts. 

This! this! this!

I hope someone in the public eye eventually calls them on it - it'd be a brave politician though.