Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 minute ago, Dario_Rodriguez_ said:

The thing in Italy Spain and France could be genetics, pure conjecture I will admit, but if you look at the amount of people in a serious condition here it’s about 20 and the Germans have over 20,000 cases with five deaths. It may be there’s something in the Souther European DNA strains that make them more vulnerable to the auto immune reaction which is what does the damage. 

Either way there has to be some reason for the massive difference in numbers being reported by different countries.

Rather than genetics, doesn’t humidity and therefore geography play a part as well? I’m not an expert and I don’t know if it would just affect transmission rather than how deadly it is.  

3 minutes ago, Dario_Rodriguez_ said:

The thing in Italy Spain and France could be genetics, pure conjecture I will admit, but if you look at the amount of people in a serious condition here it’s about 20 and the Germans have over 20,000 cases with five deaths. It may be there’s something in the Souther European DNA strains that make them more vulnerable to the auto immune reaction which is what does the damage. 

Either way there has to be some reason for the massive difference in numbers being reported by different countries.

The Germans are of the opinion that many of their initial cases were fairly fit people who had gone to n Italy skiing 

their death rate may well change over the next week as older people come into the stats 

3 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

We’re already behind in measures and we have too many defiant arseholes. London could well be a bloodbath in a couple weeks.

I think the demographics might be different . I’ve no evidence to support this but the population of London that are out and about tend to be younger and the older Londoners may have cashed in their property and moved out of town . Also Londoners are an insular lot and you don’t tend to get 3/4 generations living in a dwelling like Southern Europe 

• Like 1

Just now, surrifox said:

I think the demographics might be different . I’ve no evidence to support this but the population of London that are out and about tend to be younger and the older Londoners may have cashed in their property and moved out of town . Also Londoners are an insular lot and you don’t tend to get 3/4 generations living in a dwelling like Southern Europe 

You don’t get 3/4 generations living with each other but you do get hundreds crammed on tubes/buses as well as plenty living in flats where potentially infected people have pressed the button for the lift/ touched the stair rail.

I’ve said it before, Bergamo population of around 100k is the worst in Europe and they had no cases 6 weeks ago...

30 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Wow. - Italy adds almost  800 deaths in one day .............

some of you were  questioning the severity of this thing earlier 

800 deaths from CV ...... must be a fair number dying unnecessarily  from other conditions because ICU is overloaded ....

That's a death every 2 minutes. :(

The thing that gets me the most is the number of Italian doctors saying how the "80% will suffer mild symptoms" is massively underplaying it as just flu or something and that "mild" just means not needing oxygen, but can still mean a pretty damned nasty illness lasting weeks, much worse than flu.

Edited by Sampson

29 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Rather than genetics, doesn’t humidity and therefore geography play a part as well? I’m not an expert and I don’t know if it would just affect transmission rather than how deadly it is.  

Hope not, as it’s only going to get more humid here in the coming months.

9 minutes ago, Super_horns said:
Another 793 deaths in one day in Italy.

Will it get that bad here ?!

The mayor of Bargamo has stated that in his opinion the true figure of infected people in his area is 5-10 times the official figure. Elderly people dying in their homes are not tested.  Only people who make it to hospital are tested.  March 1 -18 they had 611 deaths when the average for this time of year is 100. Over half of these were never tested.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dario_Rodriguez_ said:

A tip for you and anyone else struggling, we have been mindful to try a buy as little as possible since Weds as the morons are out in force now, but the good thing about morons is they are exactly that, morons, and will always go to the biggest shop they can in the belief  they will be the best stocked not realising everyone else will have the same idea.

Like I say we’ve not been to many as trying to keep pressure off the shops in general now but I’ve found local stores like former all days shops that are now small co-ops, Spar shops, as well as local butchers and bakers, are fairing much better. You Might need to take the shopping experience back to the 70’s but you’ll get most of what you need.

Good advice . You just despair that with medics , virologists, logistics workers ,delivery drivers public sector employees , farmers and shop staff doing their best in the situation to make a difference all that is required is for the rest of us is not to be utter c***s and so many can’t even manage that 

15 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Italy does have an ageing population but our trajectory is likely to be similar :ermm:

The average age of the population in Italy is 44. The UK average age is 40. Then again, Germany is 47. It comes down to tackling the problem. Difficult to have much faith in the UK dealing with a problem like this efficiently to be honest. Hard enough to buy a box of screws in an efficient way these days. 

Edited by l444ry
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Italy does have an ageing population but our trajectory is likely to be similar :ermm:

From the tv images I’ve seen, it appears to me that a lot of Italians live in block apartments where a virus can rapidly spread. The hotspots in the uk seem to be london, Birmingham and Glasgow where I suspect people live in similar conditions. Social distancing is our only hope until a cure is found.

4 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Italians are dying at a rate of one every two minutes at present. Truly shocking stats, especially as the trend is still upwards.

Sky had a reporter in an Italian hospital and you could see they were struggling with a lot of old , not particularly fit looking patients- some left in corridors barely breathing.

Edited by Super_horns

25 minutes ago, Super_horns said:
Another 793 deaths in one day in Italy.

Will it get that bad here ?!

Probably.  People were still out in droves where I work today (we've gone take away only to stay open), lots of them elderly, more than a few of them throwing out cliches like "if I get it I get it" or "I've lived through worse" and complaining about the world going mad.  Others simply don't know what else to do with themselves, either because they already live in relative isolation and visiting us is their only escape from it or they're stuck in a years-old routine that can't be easily shook.  Add in examples like the crowds at Cheltenham or the morons packing into the pubs last night after the announcement and it's going to be worse than it needed to be even though anybody who's been paying attention has had since January to get our heads around what's coming.  

Edited by Carl the Llama

5 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Apparently, contagion is falling in Italian towns where lock-down has been most severe. Will we Brits learn from that?

More than 70,000 people have been caught violating the measures introduced to slow the spread of coronavirus since 11 March, with nearly 10,000 people reported by police on Friday alone.

Nearly 2,000 business owners have been suspended for breaching the lockdown.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-italy-deaths-cases-latest-updates-pandemic-lombardy-a9416271.html

Love the posts on social media of 'they had to go to war, you just have to stay at home'. 

If the reference is supposed to be WW2, an 80 year old year today would have been 5 years old when the war ended so anyone who fought in it would have to be at least 90 (for arguments sake) so it doesnt make sense at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

It has to be a factor that Southern Europe kiss two or three times as a greeting, while Northern Europe barely look at each other if they can help it.

I’ve considered this but that effects infection rate. And Germany aren’t short on cases.

The thing that stands out is deaths ratio, which unless levels of exposure is a major factor, would make that a little irrelevant.