Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

37 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Pennywise discount store off Gypsy Lane are charging, according to Facebook, £20 for loo rolls, a place worth boycotting possibly.like some others who are going to be profiteering.

It's not that one. There's another store with their name or different company in Leicester and there's some confusion. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10163110889390228&id=575440227

I’ve seen a couple of posts slagging off Pennywise on Gypsy Lane! This is an honest family run business! People need to get their facts straight before posting nonsense and ruining someone’s business reputation! Firstly we do-not sell toilet roles for £20! Yes there is a shop in Wigston who has the same name and is selling at this silly price, but this has nothing to do with Pennywise on Gypsy Lane! Obviously if you have any business sense then you would understand that there will be a slight increase in some items in which YOU people have created a demand for! We could have taken advantage quite easily by increasing our prices but we do also have a heart and would not take advantage in these terrible times that we are all going through! Just for information these are our prices for toilet roles;

£3.49 for a pack of 36 2ply
£6.99 for a pack of 36 jumbo rolls 
£7.99 for a pack of 36 super jumbo rolls 
£12 for a pack of 45 3 ply 

Hand gel £2.99 (cost £2.00)

Honest businesses should not have to justify their prices etc! But I am not going to sit back and watch people post shit on Facebook!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I despair.

Who in their right mind would be car booting atm?

Madness

I don’t get it  - group gatherings are not allowed.  Why aren't the police simply shutting these things  down ??.

regulated outdoor markets are considered to be different  - car boot sales are a risk not worth taking 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

Just now, Izzy said:

Seems to me that peoples response to this whole crisis mirrors the innovation lifestyle.

There are a few on this thread who posted in the early days who knew what was coming (innovators) while the rest of us took the piss. Then the early adopters got on board and started taking precautions and the early majority have now followed. 

Problem is there's still too many 'late majority' and 'laggards' out there who won't understand or act until it's too late.

image.jpeg.58c61c7044bbaaedafac1ba7ebbe3af2.jpeg

It’s interesting to go back and read the first few pages .........

Idea: given that the country's health system could well be about to be overwhelmed by huge numbers of patients with critical respiratory conditions, if parked up in your (usually diesel) car , TURN THE ENGINE OFF YOU TOTAL CRETINS.

Picked up a McDonald's last night, and understandably there were more people than usual eating in their cars in the car park (the seating area being closed off), but quite a few sat there with their engines running, for what reason god only knows. Maybe they were cold, but if you're that cold perhaps wear a jumper or something.

Do you want NOx with that?

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It is. And I feel like a bit of a cvnt looking at my early posts on this tbh.

Seems @simFox was right all along :unsure:

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem with all the measures taken so far is that they won't really achieve anything.

All over the weekend I've seen kids running amok all over the place.  This isn't going to change Monday to Friday now they are off school.  So taking them out of school won't achieve anything.  In fact, it may make certain situations worse.

Work.  The vast majority of people are still having to go to work.  Which for the most part entails mixing with loads of people in close quarters etc.  There doesn't appear to be an issue with this still according to the powers that be.  So how is that going to keep infection rates down?   It's stupid that they say don't go out, no pubs, gatherings of people etc, yet in the next breath they have no issue with people going to work in offices, factories etc where you can have dozens of people confined to areas where contamination is rife.  These people are then going home etc to vulnerable people, and putting lives at risk again.  

Surely if they are going to make this work, by hook or by crook they need to keep everyone off work unless it's absolutely critical in terms of jobs they do. 

It just seems like half measure after half measure so far, which won't really change anything.  For me it's either everything or nothing if they really want to tackle this.

Edited by kristianity77
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Seems to me that peoples response to this whole crisis mirrors the innovation lifestyle.

There are a few on this thread who posted in the early days who knew what was coming (innovators) while the rest of us took the piss. Then the early adopters got on board and started taking precautions and the early majority have now followed. 

Problem is there's still too many 'late majority' and 'laggards' out there who won't understand or act until it's too late.

image.jpeg.58c61c7044bbaaedafac1ba7ebbe3af2.jpeg

There are those who are wilfully ignorant and those that have little choice because the firms they work for have no policy in place in regards being sick and this virus, like my firm, who I have been informed would want a sicknote if you self isolate:crylaugh:, that's it, their entire policy thus far bar washing your hands.

I've been sounding somewhat alarmist for at least two weeks on here, with calls for drastic measures. That wasn't to get attention or because I don't care about people's freedoms. It's because of the potentially awful consequences of us not taking this thing seriously, until it's too late for some.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Did that last night and yes it is very interesting. It's also noticeable how some of the people who were laughing at those of us taking precautions a few weeks back, and outright refusing to listen even when presented with the facts at the time, have gone silent... 

• Like 3

Absolutely loving all the stuff on social media i'm seeing along the lines of "Queuing to get into *shop*

7 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

The problem with all the measures taken so far is that they won't really achieve anything.

All over the weekend I've seen kids running amok all over the place.  This isn't going to change Monday to Friday now they are off school.  So taking them out of school won't achieve anything.  In fact, it may make certain situations worse.

Work.  The vast majority of people are still having to go to work.  Which for the most part entails mixing with loads of people in close quarters etc.  There doesn't appear to be an issue with this still according to the powers that be.  So how is that going to keep infection rates down?   It's stupid that they say don't go out, no pubs, gatherings of people etc, yet in the next breath they have no issue with people going to work in offices, factories etc where you can have dozens of people confined to areas where contamination is rife.  These people are then going home etc to vulnerable people, and putting lives at risk again.  

Surely if they are going to make this work, by hook or by crook they need to keep everyone off work unless it's absolutely critical in terms of jobs they do. 

It just seems like half measure after half measure so far, which won't really change anything.  For me it's either everything or nothing if they really want to tackle this.

I suppose at work, it's the same people. Whereas out in public you could come into contact with hundreds of different people each time. At work, well for me anyway, i'll come into contact with the same 3 or 4 people.

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Did that last night and yes it is very interesting. It's also noticeable how some of the people who were laughing at those of us taking precautions a few weeks back, and outright refusing to listen even when presented with the facts at the time, have gone silent... 

I’ll admit Deb that I was a bit late to the party with all this. It was that YouTube clip of doctor Jack speaking last night that really made it all hit home for me.

1 hour ago, ithuriel said:

Pennywise discount store off Gypsy Lane are charging, according to Facebook, £20 for loo rolls, a place worth boycotting possibly.like some others who are going to be profiteering.

I saw they confused it with a different Pennywise store.

Either way take it with a pinch of salt, people like to chat shit.

I’ll be amazed if we are not in full lock down by the end of the week. I would think it may happen as early as tomorrow.

The guidance for businesses regarding the 80% salary and fur-low workers all being available on Monday and urging business not to do anything until they have seen the grant guidance says to me (just my opinion) that they’ll be announcing soon that people shouldn’t leave their houses unless to buy food like in other countries.

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I saw they confused it with a different Pennywise store.

Either way take it with a pinch of salt, people like to chat shit.

Already discussed and commented on, keep up  :P

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I’ll admit Deb that I was a bit late to the party with all this. It was that YouTube clip of doctor Jack speaking last night that really made it all hit home for me.

Better late than never :)

It's been pretty frustrating watching people not really seem to take it seriously tbh, especially the people I've been sitting next to at work until the middle of last week with family members at home with symptoms coming into the office saying 'but I'm alright' :rolleyes: Trying to show people on here hard facts, and anecdotal suggestions, to be laughed at was a bit shit too. 

I will concede that as someone who is supposedly at the highest risk of dying if I catch it I'm also bound to be more cautious. But the most frustrating thing has been wondering why other people couldn't see it coming when we were all watching it unfolding, especially in Italy. 

The sooner the whole country gets on the same page the better off we will all be :)

• Like 2

Primark now follows other retailers by shutting their stores. By doing this, they can use the govt scheme to cover 80% of their staff costs  - as I’ve said on a few occasions, the scheme devised by Sunak will encourage businesses to shut down when they realise that they don’t have to pay any more than the 80% that the govt are paying (although I assume that employers NI contributions remain) 

people may not realise but the knock on effects in the third world manufacturing bases (especially clothing - Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Cambodia ) is enormous. These workers have little protection from their governments.