Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

36 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Highly unfortunate IMVHO that you’ve ended up with Boris Johnson in charge at a time like this. He’s proved with Brexit that he’s a risk taker, and that in my opinion is the opposite of what is currently needed. Whatever people thought of Brexit, for or against, there is surely little doubt that it entails great risk.

What is needed here by leaders of all nations is to get on top of this by taking radical action at an early stage. The effects lag actions by several weeks, so by the time the effects are clear it is too late to take the appropriate actions. To be effective, the actions needed (social distancing, lockdowns, testing, quarantining, etc) will seem like an overreaction at the time they are taken.

Edit: Not really having a go at Boris, he is what he is and I can’t believe Corbyn would have been better. I’d rather have Theresa May in charge.

Take with a pinch of salt any potentially politically motivated comment but this:

"It was another decision Johnson had resisted the week before, but cabinet ministers are clear that behind the scenes he has been far more decisive at crunch moments than his predecessor. “He’s been absolutely brilliant,” said one. “He makes decisions fast.” Another said: “If Theresa May was still be in charge we would, by now, have just about signed off a request that people wash their hands.” Another cabinet source added: “And if Philip Hammond was still chancellor he would have refused even to pay for that.”

sort of reminded me that actually May was regularly paralysed when it came to key decisions.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

The trouble is it's all well and good saying we needed to overreact. But take a look around you, we've just shut all societal businesses and people still aren't listening when things are this bad. Imagine if we'd have immediately gone balls deep, locked everything down, confined people to houses, blocked all flights coming in and just told people "it's for a reason", no one would have bought it. Look at the first couple of pages of this thread, do you really think people would have accepted it? Throw police and army on the streets, we'd have had riots, DICTATOR TORIES, STEALING OUR FREEDOM! 

For all the failures of the government during this outbreak, and imo, they've been many, between panic shopping and taking zero notice of advice, the people of Britain are just as culpable for this mess. The worst thing is it's not even a select age group, it's a general large proportion of arrogant, self-entitled cvnts. 

Very good, and depressing, post. You’re right. And many countries will be in for a rude awakening when their cases and death rates far exceed that of China’s due to this.

Not been on this thread for a while now. Taken the difficult decision today to postpone my wedding at the end of June. We were trying to convince ourselves it would be so much better in 3 months time and we would regret postponing.

I think the stark reality is, we have prodded the beast and it is stirring. When it fully wakes up, we are going to be in an absolute shit storm that we cant fully control. The way people continue to ignore the advice is utterly terrifying. Both myself and my fiancee are frontline workers and I am genuinely worried about what we will face in the coming months. 

We need to lockdown now and try and keep it under control until a vaccine is available. The current situation is not sustainable. People need to seriously wake up to just how major this is and stop being selfish idiots. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MikeyT said:

Just listened to this on Radio 5 live, from an A&E consultant ringing in. Very scary to listen to, but please do listen. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0877rxr

I've just listened to this and would strongly urge everyone to do the same. As Mikey said it truly shocking to listen to this very calm guy talking about his despair that so many people are putting their lives at risk, and as for the impact that the shortage of ventilators will have, well, it reduced me to tears.

The message we were repeatedly given, that the majority of people will only suffer mild symptoms, may prove in the long run to be statistcally correct.  However I think it has only encouraged many (including me) to believe that it wasn't anything to be that concerned about , unless you were in an 'at risk' group.  I can't believe anyone who listens to this phone in would still feel the same. It should be widely publicised and broadcast on the BBC as this real picture of the situation in the NHS now and what the doctor believes is about to hit the fan,  would have more impact than anything Boris or his experts could put across in a month of Sundays. 

This doctor, who said he fully expects, as do most of his colleagues, that they will get infected,  deserves our total respect and undying gratitude. But most of all he deserves to be listened to. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

So this Mothers Day thing...

I'm due to drive up to Leics tomorrow to see my Mum. My sister lives in Birmingham and she's also planning on driving over.

We've agreed to meet at Mum's but not go in the house. They've got a massive garden so we figured we'd all sit outside (2m apart) and have a chat and some food for an hour or so and then leave.

Is this now unacceptable? Are we sticking to the 'social distancing' rules? Or do we all just forget it and stay at our own homes?

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Yeah just read the latest Boris warning. I ain't going to see my old dear tomorrow. This whole thing is fvckin nuts.

We'd arranged to have mum over for lunch at my sister's for Mother's Day. Me and my sister discussed it at length today with our concerns. Mum insists she wants to come and accepts there'd be no physical contact and as much safe distancing as possible. She rarely leaves the house (due to age and mobility) and she loves seeing everyone together (there'd be 3 adults, 3 kids aged 10-13 and her). It's a real conflict. Me and my sister go and do jobs at mum's (at a safe distance as possible) so is it any different to that? You're right Izzy mate, it's all fvckin nuts.

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Thursday Boris said he was going to see his Mum. Tonight he’s saying don’t see your Mum. 

The guy is an absolute liability.

It was clarified on Thursday that Boris would be seeing his mum via Skype, not personally.

Maybe that changes your view or maybe it doesn't, worth clarifying anyway.

Apparently the Gate in Hugglescote was open yesterday. 

Whilst bizarre that people are still opening, unless they advise what will happen if people disobey, people will take the risk. On my FB I still have people in denial that this isn’t as bad as other illnesses like flu etc

I really don’t think people understand that this is in it’s infancy. 

It’s like a snowball rolling down a hill. It’ll get bigger, quicker, as it picks up pace. 

We have 10,000 or so ICU beds in the country (+ any extra acquired from private hospitals this week). We’re current in a worse position than Italy were at this stage. 

If we can’t slow this down, it’ll start to impact the care that people with flu, cancer, pneumonia, HIV, and all other attendees of emergency car / ICU units require. It’s the rate of spread. We don’t have the health capacity or trained personnel to deal with it. 

FFS - ISOLATE YOURSELF AND HELP EACH OTHER!!!! 

F5C5B36B-2BD3-48B0-BFCC-26D3B127B92C.jpeg

• Like 1

As one of the retired posters on FT I applaud the message that we should be self-isolating but IMO there are two factors working against that:

1.  The situation in the shops.  I had been self-isolating all week in an attempt to protect my wife and myself, but as I hadn't been hoarding I needed to do a weekly shop to get enough to last the next week.  This took me two days in stores packed with people.  Self-isolation will fail unless the panic buying and shortage issues are sorted out.

2.  Many people just don't take this seriously.  As I previously posted I wore a mask for my shop, which I had purchased several weeks ago in anticipation of the spread of the virus.  Apart from some shop assistants I was the only person protecting myself and others in this way.  My appearance attracted many smiles, some laughs and in one case abuse from another shopper who told me in no uncertain terms that my mask wasn't necessary.  I also overheard a paramedic outside a shop telling another shopper not to believe the hype about the virus.  I fear that this will have to get much worse before those people wake up to the reality.

• Like 3

I don’t think reality will kick in for some, until someone they know dies from it. Or dies from another illness because they couldn’t get the treatment they required. 

Edited by Sly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Apparently a lot of UK seaside resorts, including Skegness, were very busy yesterday.

Good to see the message getting through

This is what happens when you muddle your message.

I'm not getting into the politics of it all at this time, but anyone who knows anything about leadership knows you need a clear vision and communicating that clearly is key.

From day one the government have got this wrong, there's been no clear vision and people aren't taking the situation seriously just as the government didn't a week ago. 

People are also twats, no denying that but from a leadership point of view the government has fallen on its arse

• Like 4

Stricter and more harsher regulations will shortly follow. Unfortunately people are people and some just will not pay any attention to the guidelines. The amount crimes that are committed on a daily basis should be an indicator that to some rules mean nothing.

I expect curfews to be announced for those who aren’t working outside, large scale business operations to stop, for example quarrying, potentially large factories like amazon. Supermarket ration system where certain people can come in at certain times and only certain products purchased. If sections of the country continue to defy the guidelines they will become more strict. 

It’s a shit time for everyone, and yes most will get over the illness if they get it, but in the 21st century it is unacceptable to have these amounts of deaths, people with weakened immune systems, the elderly and the already ill do not deserve to have this hanging over them. My mum for example has had pneumonia twice in her lifetime, and is a severe asthmatic. I’m petrified for her, is she gets it the reality is she might die. This is why the government are asking people to stick to the fairly relaxed rules they have put in place. Any of you would be fuming if one of your relatives died as a result of another’s negligence. 

I do however feel for those who have lost their jobs as a result of this, perhaps the governments intervention was too late, but during this time of adversity we need to come together, we shouldn’t be fighting on super markets and pillaging the shelves, if we can’t work together as a country, then we won’t stop the illness from continuing to destroy our lives.

I must admit, I didn’t think this would be so serious, I even chuckled to myself over some hysteria that appeared on here occasionally. Now I’m sat at home having been told that I’m not needed at work for at least 2 weeks, unpaid, with food and bills to pay. It’s also mother’s day today, I’m having to clean my present I’ve got her, drop it off on her door step and say hello from afar and it’s absolutely breaking my heart. 

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

As one of the retired posters on FT I applaud the message that we should be self-isolating but IMO there are two factors working against that:

1.  The situation in the shops.  I had been self-isolating all week in an attempt to protect my wife and myself, but as I hadn't been hoarding I needed to do a weekly shop to get enough to last the next week.  This took me two days in stores packed with people.  Self-isolation will fail unless the panic buying and shortage issues are sorted out.

2.  Many people just don't take this seriously.  As I previously posted I wore a mask for my shop, which I had purchased several weeks ago in anticipation of the spread of the virus.  Apart from some shop assistants I was the only person protecting myself and others in this way.  My appearance attracted many smiles, some laughs and in one case abuse from another shopper who told me in no uncertain terms that my mask wasn't necessary.  I also overheard a paramedic outside a shop telling another shopper not to believe the hype about the virus.  I fear that this will have to get much worse before those people wake up to the reality.

Unless you can get home delivery shopping it is virtually impossible to self isolate.

Compressing shopping hours also makes social distancing extremely difficult . Ideally you shouldn't be allowed to shop indoors unless you have a facemask and disposable latex gloves, also difficult to impliment as sourcing masks now is expensive 

One thing they could do is have hand sanitizer stations outside supermarkets and stop entry unless you use it correctly..

Difficult times indeed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

I must admit, I didn’t think this would be so serious, I even chuckled to myself over some hysteria that appeared on here occasionally. Now I’m sat at home having been told that I’m not needed at work for at least 2 weeks, unpaid, with food and bills to pay. It’s also mother’s day today, I’m having to clean my present I’ve got her, drop it off on her door step and say hello from afar and it’s absolutely breaking my heart. 

Except it won't be unpaid though will it if you are employed but temporarily laid off?  Or am I missing something?

I'm about to brave Asda see if I can get any meat for sunday dinner with my wife and kids on mother's day, if not it's soup and bread, or I best buy a microwave, managed 5 years without one.

Really do feel.like I'm living some film script.

I've been very impressed with the chancellor, but the messages from the government are very mixed, elderly should stay at home as they are more vulnerable, yet we have all supermarkets offering specific slots for them to all go out shopping. They should have made as many delivery slots as possible to those over 65 or given up those hours to carers or relatives to do shopping.

The deadline on pubs closing should have been made in the morning and not on a Friday, 5PM at night when many workers were already in the pubs after a week at work. 

The national trust who have now closed their gardens I see, took a decision to keep them open, which I get from an exercise point if view but it was the wrong decision looking at it.

The fact many of us have not been told to stay away from work as well makes a mockery of social distancing.

On a personal level, we are sat discussing having to cancel our trip to legoland for my wife's bday next month, they are closed but the voucher value will never cover another trip. 

Ringing natwest to discuss having a 3 month mortgage holiday, short term a nice option, but long term not ideal.

That said with no sport and no pubs to visit today, my house maybe spotless once todays done. Not being able to go out at night, I've never watched so many films in a short space of time.

Sky cinema may need to add to it's back catal at this rate.

Hope everyone else is managing as best they can.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

Except it won't be unpaid though will it if you are employed but temporarily laid off?  Or am I missing something?

Well that was announced after I’d gone home on Friday, maybe it will change but for now what I said is where I am. Can my work place get it? Does it cover temporary, sporadic unpaid leave? I’ll have to wait and see. 

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

This is what happens when you have a society who think they are all special.

Or they think it's fine to catch it because they were initially told it's fine to catch it?

Aren't we suppose to get behind each other now, rather than attack each other?

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1