Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Spent some of Mother's Day at Uttoxeter Services.

My Grandparents live in Cheshire, whilst the rest of my family live in Leicestershire - so, moreorless, a half-way point to meet; to give presents to Grandmother and talk for around 30 minutes whilst hearing in mind the social distance rule with this.

Thought it was a good and sensible idea, in the end.

Edited by Wymsey

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I understand its the public's fault as well for not staying home but that's follows weak advice from the government with it just being 'advisory' even though it's patently clear that it's best if everyone is told to stay at home.

Stan I apologise if I’m being a bit condescending, I’m just wound up as I’ve had to speak to my mum through a window and I’m getting pissed off with people and their fvck it attitude. Personally I agree with the government as it allows me, personally, to go out, walk my dogs without worrying about getting coshed by the police! If further measures come in I personally feel it’ll be a shame because of a selfish minority. But you’re probably right in that some are too stupid to understand this. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Plus, it will take time to mobilise the army and police force.

I would think the police will be utilised for this.  Army if absolutely necessary.  Police should be able to react quite quickly. 

Their biggest problem will be a lack of staff with officers self-isolating due to a member of their family coughing.  To combat this I would expect them to be next in line for testing after NHS staff in similar situations once the tests are available.

7 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

Stan I apologise if I’m being a bit condescending, I’m just wound up as I’ve had to speak to my mum through a window and I’m getting pissed off with people and their fvck it attitude. Personally I agree with the government as it allows me, personally, to go out, walk my dogs without worrying about getting coshed by the police! If further measures come in I personally feel it’ll be a shame because of a selfish minority. But you’re probably right in that some are too stupid to understand this. 

I agree! 

• Thanks 1

People have to accept that their way of life has changed. My weekly football is off until early April at the earliest (I'm sure it will be longer), I probably won't be able to see people for a while and the only time I've been out is to work (hopefully working from home at some point) and a short walk to the shop yesterday. It's frustrating but that is that, just put up with it. If you stick to the measures in place we have a better chance of stemming the flow.

But it is ingrained in people not to listen, not to take things seriously, not to abide by rules. Then we've got the media who've trivialised things like the weather that we all joke about but adds to the perception that things are blown out of proportion and therefore when serious issues hit they aren't taken seriously enough.

It is a sad state of affairs if people can't be trusted to do the right thing but let's not be ostriches- some people can't. We'll go into full lockdown soon for non-essential workforces and I hope the authorities are out and about making sure it stays that way.

4 minutes ago, String fellow said:

It strikes me that BoJo needs to be removed from power, until this thing is over. He's way out of his depth. In normal times, we can tolerate a buffoon running the show, but not at times like this, when so many lives are at stake.

Was just watching his press conference on Sky streaming. He is so non committal and seems to still be trying to stick to his "life must go on" routine. The press even looked in disbelief at what he was saying.

Edited by spacemunky

3 minutes ago, String fellow said:

It strikes me that BoJo needs to be removed from power, until this thing is over. He's way out of his depth. In normal times, we can tolerate a buffoon running the show, but not at times like this, when so many lives are at stake.

We need a government of national unity surely. 

• Like 1

When are we going to address the elephant in the room

SUPERMARKETS !!!!

whats the fvcking point of socially distancing from  one another when this is a daily exchange of bugs etc at close quarters ..... they need to come up with a plan fast

my tuppeney bit is that areas are allocated their local big store which they have to use. They are then given a 2 hour slot twice a week when they can shop. 

If someone has a reason why they cannot manage that time slot (eg. Religious Jews cannot drive or spend on Saturday) then they can ask for a change but it won’t be that many.  

They cannot even get into the car park without showing that they should be there - I don’t care who gets upset by that (or you have to use Morrison’s instead of Waitrose)  - some of your parents and their friends will die unless we do something fast !!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Nope, we should be expected to provide some level of self sufficiency and as individuals act for the good of wider society, not only ourselves.

I guess you're not including Boris's dad in this?

11 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

This is what happens when you have a society who think they are all special.

Or maybe it's what happens when the Boris's dad essentially tells people to ignore the PM.

Boris is the most important man in the country. People look to him for leadership. He can't control his dad from putting people at risk of death.

Leadership. Leadership.

You can attack people all you want. But they're being led by a man who's helping to lead them down the wrong path.

Edited by Foxxed

Guest MattP
15 minutes ago, String fellow said:

If only he had listened to people like you at the start eh?

On 27/01/2020 at 16:42, String fellow said:

I can't believe that this virus is getting so much publicity. Every year folk die from viruses which affect the lungs. This one is just another variant of previous ones like SARS. The RNA sequencing of this new strain is already known using the fast Fourier transform, and existing drugs such as interferon will doubtless cure most sufferers. So fear not, we're not all doomed just yet!

2 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I guess you're not including Boris's dad in this?

Or maybe it's what happens when the Boris's dad essentially tells people to ignore the PM.

Boris is the most important man in the country. People look to him for leadership. He can't control his dad from putting people at risk of death.

Leadership. Leadership.

You can attack people all you want. But they're being led by a man who's helping to lead them down the wrong path.

We are a democracy and not a totalitarian regime. You argument holds no water.

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

When are we going to address the elephant in the room

SUPERMARKETS !!!!

whats the fvcking point of socially distancing from  one another when this is a daily exchange of bugs etc at close quarters ..... they need to come up with a plan fast

Not sure how to solve this one. I've been out twice in the last week and both times to get groceries(and beer).

I live in a city of 200,000, so there's going to be people there and therefore there's that risk with contact.

I could order in food, but that's expensive and is it any safer? I did see that one of the big food delivery services here is offering non contact delivery by leaving your food at the door.

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Marshall law, army on the streets. If stupid people wilfully continue to be stupid, then I see no other option.

Ben Marshall photo

:blink: 

Not sure he'd be any better than Bojo....

Could consider martial law, instead? ;)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

Ben Marshall photo

:blink: 

Not sure he'd be any better than Bojo....

Could consider martial law, instead? ;)

lol and to think English used to be my subject at school. Suppose it’s been some time

For me, the public who chose to act like they did today and yesterday cannot blame the Govt for their stupid. We are being treated like adults, the ****ing country is falling apart. Just look at the retail industry. Store after store being closed, no income and still liable for expenditure.Yet, going to ****ing Bournemouth beach really felt like a good idea today ? Seriously? Stay home you morons and eat your 18 bags of pasta.

• Like 1

Mountain summits and beaches in Wales have seen large numbers of visitors, with Snowdonia National Park saying the area "experienced its busiest ever visitor day in living memory" on Saturday

The National Trust has closed its parks and gardens amid fears crowds might flock to them on Sunday for Mother's Day.

Lovely to see all these ads in the papers about how companies are going to help us ...   especially the supermarkets ! ...   I know it’s cynical but I can’t get this image out of my mind that round the boardrooms of all those supermarkets are a bunch of big fat grinning fookers all licking their lips and puffing away on their big cigars ...  

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

If only he had listened to people like you at the start eh?

Silly post. First, one's a bloke on a football forum, the other is the leader of the country. Secondly, that post was in late January. We've had a few weeks of horrific scenes in Italy to focus the mind. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

Sorry if anyone's already commented on this but.....

Figures for USA are rising dramatically: more than twice as many confirmed infections than any other country in last 24 hours + almost 100 deaths.

At least 85% of new infections in New York state.....12,000+ in 24 hours?!? :blink: I seriously hope that partly represents a leap in testing/reporting, not just in infections....

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

lol and to think English used to be my subject at school. Suppose it’s been some time

I expect you were thinking of a Marshall Plan (like that announced by Sunak).....that would be my excuse, anyway. :D

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

I expect you were thinking of a Marshall Plan (like that announced by Sunak).....that would be my excuse, anyway. :D

No, afraid not. I put it down to my genetic ignorance :thumbup:

Setting my son up for an enlightening period of “home schooling” lol