Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/02/confucianism-south-korea-coronavirus-testing-cultural-trope-orientalism

Interesting read about the perception and reality of what's working well to fight Covid-19 over in Korea.

The west needs to get over its cultural arrogance and adopt world’s best practice.

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
1 minute ago, WigstonWanderer said:

The west needs to get over its cultural arrogance and adopt world’s best practice.

Its not cultural arrogance just different cultures,  this has to be resolved in various ways dependent on a nation's culture to a degree,  it just isn't a one way suits all scenario 

10 hours ago, Spudulike said:

How long did it take before you felt OK? I've still got this bastard cough 2 weeks after first showing symptoms. Not noticed a fever but still have a tight chest and a deep breath isn't comfortable. 

sorry - missed your question. Took me almost two weeks to lose the fever.  Apparently the cough can linger a fair time after you’ve cleared the virus..... I assume residual damage in your lungs which takes some time to fix ....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Markyblue said:

Its not cultural arrogance just different cultures,  this has to be resolved in various ways dependent on a nation's culture to a degree,  it just isn't a one way suits all scenario 

While there is clearly massive cultural differences in the way nations are handling this, isn't the efficacy of the solution in terms of minimum death and suffering the most important factor here?

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

While there is clearly massive cultural differences in the way nations are handling this, isn't the efficacy of the solution in terms of minimum death and suffering the most important factor here?

To a degree it is but imposing measures on certain people's of different cultures is going to be a huge potential problem. Society's who are more ordered are going to react differently to less ordered society's,  i think minds far greater than ours will have decided whats going to work best for us, we cant even get some f..kwits to stop sunbathing etc. In public places, in theory you are right but maybe horses for courses. 

Significant drop in cases/deaths over the weekend for some countries...

Cases

Spain - 7134 (Friday), 6969 (Saturday), 5478 (Sunday)

Italy - 4585, 4805, 4316

Germany - 6365, 4933, 4031

France - 23060*, 7788, 2886

UK - 4450, 3735, 5903

USA - 32284, 34196, 25316

Iran - 2715, 2560, 2483

Deaths

Spain - 850, 749, 694

Italy - 766, 681,525

Germany - 168, 169, 140

France - 1120*, 1053*, 518

UK - 684, 708, 621

USA - 1045, 1330, 1165

Iran - 134, 158, 151

*France including nursing/care home cases in new case/death numbers

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Deaths in Spain have dropped 4 days in a row

Italy and France both seem to be slowing too.

People will get hope from this but it would be very strange (if not impossible) for anything other than a decrease to happen as everyone's in lock down and that's why we're doing it. 

The big questions are will it just start up again when people come out of lock down? Will there be enough natural resistance for it sort its self out? 

We can't live our lives like this much longer as a planet...

5 minutes ago, Collymore said:

People will get hope from this but it would be very strange (if not impossible) for anything other than a decrease to happen as everyone's in lock down and that's why we're doing it. 

The big questions are will it just start up again when people come out of lock down? Will there be enough natural resistance for it sort its self out? 

We can't live our lives like this much longer as a planet...

I guess you either have to introduce rolling lockdowns that come into play when Hospital Capacity is nearly breeched.

Or some sort of immunity system where people that are immune are gradually bought back into society.

Neither way looks great

51 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

To a degree it is but imposing measures on certain people's of different cultures is going to be a huge potential problem. Society's who are more ordered are going to react differently to less ordered society's,  i think minds far greater than ours will have decided whats going to work best for us, we cant even get some f..kwits to stop sunbathing etc. In public places, in theory you are right but maybe horses for courses. 

Yeah, the theory and the practice are always going to be different, aren't they? That's why behavioural science is a thing, and in the present circumstances, a rather critical one.

Personally I can't get my head around the idea of not taking this seriously at a personal or cultural level, but I know that's my own bias talking.

Got to have a bit of a rant - a friend of mine has been criticising the govt left right and centre, saying they should provide more PPE and MPs should self isolate etc etc. She gets on a high horse that her sister is a frontline NHS worker at risk.

...then tells me she did a 20 mile bike ride yesterday, a 15 mile walk through 3 towns the other week and she's upset her kids won't leave the house. 

3 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Got to have a bit of a rant - a friend of mine has been criticising the govt left right and centre, saying they should provide more PPE and MPs should self isolate etc etc. She gets on a high horse that her sister is a frontline NHS worker at risk.

...then tells me she did a 20 mile bike ride yesterday, a 15 mile walk through 3 towns the other week and she's upset her kids won't leave the house. 

For some people there's a certain thrill to going out of the house during a quarantine. They're sticking it to the man.

Does she ordinarily do this type of exercise?

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Not really no.  The medium to long terms impacts of destroying the economy on life expectancy and mental health could be worse than short terms deaths.

Edited by Jon the Hat

20 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

There is no reason why either of those should cause any harm as long as she kept her distance.

5 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Not really no.  The medium to long terms impacts of destroying the economy on life expectancy and mental health could be worse than short terms deaths.

That could well be right, but again I'm sort of struggling to see how a solution that also includes consideration of such economic concerns has cultural context either - in theory, anyway.

NB. On that topic, I would posit that the effects of a natural disaster that isn't checked in the correct way has the potential to be more negative in terms of economy (to say nothing of everything else) than any human measure could be. Mass death and suffering is as bad for the balance sheet now and in future as it is for everything else, after all.

Edited by leicsmac

9 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

There is no reason why either of those should cause any harm as long as she kept her distance.

Of course it is.If you're going 15miles through towns you're not going to be able keep your 2m distance!

The issue with this exercise thing is people are taking walks side by side as families down busy high streets and taking up the whole pavement.

People just aren't using their brains with this exercise thing. Don't go to busy roads where there are shops/pharmacies people or normally busy parks.

If you actively cant go on smaller side roads where you can cross the road if you see someone then you shouldn't be going, simple as that.

Edited by Sampson

20 hours ago, z-layrex said:

My wife was an icu nurse too but works for a healthcare tech company now, she says shes getting so much work done without the commute, productivity is through the roof within her team.

Shes going back to work in an ICU for a couple of months now as the country is so desperate for anyone with icu experience. Think shes a bit sad about it tbh but it's her own decision.

Do your wife now start work at the time that she usually leave the home then?    I am impressed,   I would have expected people working from home to log on at the starting time of their shifts as usual-  would have thought that will be the norm.

Some peeps, mostly women the last two times I've been down the shops, do not seem to understand social distancing, especially in shops.

Went to get some milk n a few bits today and the floor near the checkouts were marked yet this woman went and stood directly behind me, what can you do?

Edited by ithuriel

Just now, Izzy said:

I read that Chris Whitty has been suffering from loads of abuse on social media (about his looks? :rolleyes:)

WTF is wrong with people? He seems like a decent chap to me...

The poor bloke has got the weight of the nation on his shoulders and the populations lives in his hands. I don't envy his position at all and wish him the best.

No doubt some of those who were criticising his looks also posted #BeKind when Caroline Flack killed herself. Anything for a few likes and RTs.

• Like 3

Just now, ithuriel said:

Some peeps, mostly women the last two times, do not seem to understand social distancing, especially in shops.

Went to get some milk n a few bits today and the floor near the checkouts were marked yet she went and stood directly behind me, what can you do?

Tell her to get the fvck back. 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Significant drop in cases/deaths over the weekend for some countries...

Cases

Spain - 7134 (Friday), 6969 (Saturday), 5478 (Sunday)

Italy - 4585, 4805, 4316

Germany - 6365, 4933, 4031

France - 23060*, 7788, 2886

UK - 4450, 3735, 5903

USA - 32284, 34196, 25316

Iran - 2715, 2560, 2483

Deaths

Spain - 850, 749, 694

Italy - 766, 681,525

Germany - 168, 169, 140

France - 1120*, 1053*, 518

UK - 684, 708, 621

USA - 1045, 1330, 1165

Iran - 134, 158, 151

*France including nursing/care home cases in new case/death numbers

There’s no doubt that the trend overall is no longer exponential thanks to the measures that have been taken.

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
2 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Some peeps, mostly women the last two times, do not seem to understand social distancing, especially in shops.

Went to get some milk n a few bits today and the floor near the checkouts were marked yet she went and stood directly behind me, what can you do?

Cough.