Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 minute ago, ttfn said:

Maybe the press conference will clarify this as your interpretation (see friends and family but keep your distance and be careful) is very different to mine (stay at home unless you can’t avoid it).

I am hopeful that if they do clarify it it’s more towards your end of the spectrum...

Judging by previous announcements, I expect there to be more questions after the broadcast than there were before 

and is the govt giving a 4pm news conference today ?  Surely it’s just going to be question after question about what boris has already pre recorded and about which the minister can deny or confirm anything ...... a charade !  (Ie. The same as the past few days) 

I think these daily pressers should just be a scientist presenting the data and press involvement only every other day. 

To be honest, it’s a bit like pissing into the wind to get the country to fully comply. 

Whereas things seem to have improved, slightly, the start was a disaster. From boasting about shaking the infected’s hands to mass gatherings striking pots and pans. The initial response of typically lapse. 

Now we find ourselves in the situation of catchup, and have been left in a perilously fragile position, any amendments made to ease the current restrictions could initiate a second wave of cases. 

Rather than turning the tap off to stop the flood from the offset, we’ve been using a colander to halt the flow. What happens next is extremely interesting..... but one way or another I don’t see any form of normality returning until next year at the latest, there will be up and downs before now and then. 

18 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

To be honest, it’s a bit like pissing into the wind to get the country to fully comply. 

Whereas things seem to have improved, slightly, the start was a disaster. From boasting about shaking the infected’s hands to mass gatherings striking pots and pans. The initial response of typically lapse. 

Now we find ourselves in the situation of catchup, and have been left in a perilously fragile position, any amendments made to ease the current restrictions could initiate a second wave of cases. 

Rather than turning the tap off to stop the flood from the offset, we’ve been using a colander to halt the flow. What happens next is extremely interesting..... but one way or another I don’t see any form of normality returning until next year at the latest, there will be up and downs before now and then. 

We will get a heads up on any second wave when we see what happens in Spain and Italy, one advantage of lagging behind.

3 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

We will get a heads up on any second wave when we see what happens in Spain and Italy, one advantage of lagging behind.

Good point, and valid. It’s just a shame that so many lives have been lost when they probably could have been saved. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

With the devolved countries taking their own approach and in particular without there being consultation or even communication regarding key elements of approach I get the sense more than ever that we are not a one nation union

I was struck by this too. 

Also by the use of 'devolved nations' which made me laugh because it seems so derogatory despite being the seemingly official terminology. I love the idea of telling Sturgeon she's devolved. The steam from the ears!

The start of China's (or Wuhan's) second wave...?

Wuhan reports first new case in weeks

Wuhan, the Chinese city where the coronavirus outbreak started, has reported its first new case of Covid-19 for more than a month.

The case is one of 14 new infections reported by China’s National Health Commission. The patient, a 89-year-old man, is in critical condition and had previously been asymptomatic before testing positive, local media reported.

The man's local residential community has been put under tight restrictions following the diagnosis, according to the reports.

China has reported a total of 82,901 cases and 4,633 deaths from Covid-19. Tight lockdown restrictions appear to have brought the spread under control.

17 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I was struck by this too. 

Also by the use of 'devolved nations' which made me laugh because it seems so derogatory despite being the seemingly official terminology. I love the idea of telling Sturgeon she's devolved. The steam from the ears!

To be fair to wee Krankie, she does come across as looking out for for Scotland and its interests.

Edited by nnickn

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s one 89 year old and they will quickly stamp down on his neighbourhood ..... I doubt he was getting out and about too much! 

Hopefully!

We don't know who he was in contact with when he was asymptomatic though?

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

What constitutes ‘bad health’

i have v mild asthma which rarely bothers me

if I had died then I would have had an ‘underlying heath condition’. 

This is the point. It has never been clearly explained what is an underlying health issue. I've seenreports of 90 year olds recovering who had no underlying health issue.

Many people don't know if they have an underlying health issue. For eg how many people know their blood pressure.

as a sufferer of mild asthma you would have been included is my guess.

I know of an elderly person who was admitted to hospital with a bad urinary infection and they caught covid in hospital. Is this an underlying health condition?

I wonder how much of an impact this will have on the world.

Part of me thinks that once it's under control we'll just go back to the default of what was acceptable previously; another part thinks this could be a seismic change.

Without being too grim it's fascinating to think of the potential implications of this. The world could be changed for the better. Are the people of Venice going to be so keen to take the guilded coin of tourism when their living conditions have so demonstrably changed for the better. After 2 months of basically living the same are people going to be that keen to travel for 3 hours to sit on a beach and eat fish and chips. Endless potential good.

11 minutes ago, nnickn said:

To be fair to wee Krankie, she does come across as looking out for for Scotland and its interests.

I wasn't suggesting otherwise. Just musing on the concept of telling her the Scottish are devolved. I think she's been brilliant throughout this, ever present and frank. Stood her ground in some respects. Good leadership.

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

Part of me thinks that once it's under control we'll just go back to the default of what was acceptable previously; another part thinks this could be a seismic change.

Without being too grim it's fascinating to think of the potential implications of this. The world could be changed for the better. Are the people of Venice going to be so keen to take the guilded coin of tourism when their living conditions have so demonstrably changed for the better. After 2 months of basically living the same are people going to be that keen to travel for 3 hours to sit on a beach and eat fish and chips. Endless potential good.

To answer your last point, yes of course people are going to want to travel to places where you can do something different.

I’m sat here looking at holidays abroad and if I can’t do that I’ll bugger off up to Scotland at the earliest opportunity.

5 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I'm desperate for a change of scenery. I'll certainly be taking a holiday as soon as I can.

5 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I've been thinking this feels a bit like 9/11 in terms of how certain things changed after that.

Not sure how this time, but it does feel like a major event in history and things won't be the same as before.

10 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Couldn't you equally argue that people might be more motivated to do stuff like this after this is over?

Edited by ealingfox