Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Of course you can, as long as you're okay with getting fined and/or kung flu'd and/or stoned to death by locals. :dunno:

The last bit is normal when we goto Norfolk mate...there aren't many of my lot over there!!!! LOL

• Haha 3

Just now, ScouseFox said:

well it worked much better when we had a simple instruction of "stay the fu ck at home you stupid cu nts". that only starting slipping when, shock horror, the newspapers read by those stupid 50 million people told them all to go outside cos it was sunny. 

if we want everyone back indoors a simple return to the message to stay at home would probably have been a much better idea than to change the message completely but also say nothing has changed. 

Have you considered that people have had enough of being trapped in their homes yet?

We were told at the very beginning lockdown fatigue would come, why are people surprised now it's here.

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

I agree with both of you.....but think that's why it's important not to give an excuse to people who want to be "confused" or to feel they can return to normal  - and that's what I feel this does.

Bingo - the thought process is when receiving such information is a) how does this apply to me b) how can I bent it to suit me

• Like 2

Just now, Innovindil said:

Have you considered that people have had enough of being trapped in their homes yet?

We were told at the very beginning lockdown fatigue would come, why are people surprised now it's here.

Vast majority aren’t though are they?

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

As much as I'm guilty of the above, it's also no coincidence that some people can't ever criticise the government. They must do no wrong. We must follow them. Regardless of anything they do or don't do. We must defend them. 

:dunno:

This crisis has turned people (even more than usual) into curtain twitching fascists. "Ooh look, someones outside with a smile on their face, they want people to die". It really grinds my gears. This virus is nobody's fault, there isn't a right way to deal with it,it's all guesswork. There's no cure and no vaccine. Eventually most of us are going to catch it and there's nothing we can do about it. 

44 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Or because 'Stay Alert' is an absolutely fvcking crap slogan for this situation (compared to the last one, which was very clear and something the government deserve credit for).

Stay alert? The virus isn't going to mug us or try to swindle OAPs over the phone.

The fact Downing Street have had to issue a further statement clarifying exactly what they mean says it all. It's so open to interpretation, and people will (if the behavioural changes I've noticed over the past few days are owt to go by) end up interpreting such a vague headline message in ways that will end up costing more lives.

Really, really hope I'm wrong.

I think the intention behind the message  is to stay alert to people being in your space or you invading another persons space.

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Bingo - the thought process is when receiving such information is a) how does this apply to me b) how can I bent it to suit me

Indeed.

Whether we like it or not, we're all focused on our own basic survival needs first and foremost.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Have just read an absolutely fascinating little blog by a professor of biology in the US. I'll post the link at the bottom but it basically sums up how much going back to work could massively increase the infection spread. She uses the formula of Exposure vs Time to identify risk. 

If you brush past people in the supermarket, it's still much less risk because you aren't exposed to as much and she says it's about 5+ minutes before you catch enough. Yet if we all go back to work in offices which are air conditioned, even if we are sat 4 metres away from someone else, the fact that we're sharing the same air space for up to 8 hours is a much greater risk.

It suggests that Risk Assessments are going to be crucial in people going back to work.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?fbclid=IwAR3YenzvHuCQ0g2J0fQqsB5Sc9npnWmKV8s4h4Z_MT3qXQDSEmy0gHxslRc

This is really good and clear and everyone should read this.

Seems sitting in the park is a very low-risk activity and not the sort of thing anyone should be getting angry about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

What constitutes ‘bad health’

i have v mild asthma which rarely bothers me

if I had died then I would have had an ‘underlying heath condition’. 

Yes sadly you would, figures and statistics can be twisted to suit any point of view.

Personally I feel we should be getting the country back to work whilst protecting the vulnerable. Who is designated as vulnerable is down to those with the medical knowledge to make such decisions.

Of course it’ll be tough for the percentage of those who have to remain in isolation indefinitely, and it would be up to the rest of the population to look after the vulnerable. 
If we don’t get the country back working and remain in lockdown this will only lead to increasing unemployment, losses of homes and all the mental health issues these problems can bring.

There are so many differing opinions on what should happen next because each persons situation is different to the nexts.

I am still working through the current crisis but am concerned about the future of my employer, so I am going to be biased in favour of getting the country back working  again. Selfish of me? Yes.

220+ deaths in the whole of Leicestershire can be looked at in 2 ways 

1. The lockdown is working and keeping deaths down

or

2. Coronavirus isn’t lurking on every corner ready to strike.

I am looking forward to the announcement later, and keeping my fingers crossed it’ll mark the beginning of the end of the current situation.

7 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

oh really? cheers for that. 

obviously people are bored and obviously it was a perfect storm, so to speak. bank holiday, 20 odd degrees, but we've already had one hot bank holiday weekend in lockdown and this one was much worse, because of the amount of idiots who read shit shows like the sun or the daily mail. 

So it's all the shit rags fault? Nothing to do with the last bank holiday being weeks ago? Nothing to do with deaths dropping? Nothing to do with people getting more fed up of being at home?

If only life were so ****ing simple eh. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

It completely needs to stop, I won't rant about each party, but a huge issue in this country is our medias free reign to basically do what the **** they want. 

The freedom of the presses, even if it is to be *****, is pretty important. A press strictly regulated leads to a lot of power concentrated in the hands of a few.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

The freedom of the presses, even if it is to be *****, is pretty important. A press strictly regulated leads to a lot of power concentrated in the hands of a few.

Not suggesting we regulate the press or remove freedom of speech, more when in times like present, we limit the ability of the press to leak documents involving changing of policy etc. 

Slander and abuse decisions all they wish; but leaking potential misinformation on what is and isn't allowed is really not on

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Not suggesting we regulate the press or remove freedom of speech, more when in times like present, we limit the ability of the press to leak documents involving changing of policy etc. 

Slander and abuse decisions all they wish; but leaking potential misinformation on what is and isn't allowed is really not on

Unfortunately the presses will always rely on what you call 'leaks'. 

People in public office cannot be seen to freely give information to the presses before its subject to change, however they will often want to express an opinion, comment, or provide the public with some news. Leaking serves a vital function but is inherently flawed; information can and will be subject to change. This means that any information passed to the public sector off the record is 'potential misinformation'. Infact, being critical, we can consider ANY information that isn't proven concrete 'potential misinformation'.

Fundamentally, however, there will always be a demand for information from the public and there will be ministers/civil servants willing to be that conduit. It's how the media works. Nobody is going to want to put their name against something that might not be well received by the public, their employer, or both. Again, demanding complete transparency will concentrate the power in the hands of a few; it might seem anathema to the idea but the opaque and clandestine nature of 'leaking' contributes to maintaining some governmental responsibility.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Ice cream van just turned up round our way :huh:

Kind of a take away service so I suppose it's ok?

More to the point it's bloomin' freezing

Missed the boat on that one didn't he lol. Not even missing just Friday, but yesterday as well!

Nothings changed except they're Trusting the People which so many have been clamouring for.

I suspect also they were seeing that people were no longer taking Stay at Home strictly and that there was little point in pursuing or trying to reinforce that so went with this guarded Stay at home as much as possible leaving it for people to be sensible. It also enables them to test the waters to see how far people take that and what effect it has on the curve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Lets just review this new advice;

View image on Twitter

1) Stay at home as much as possible.

2)Work from home if you can.

3)Limit contact with other people.

4)Keep your distance if you go out (2 metres apart where possible)

5) Wash your hands regularly.

Can anyone tell me which of those instructions any reasonably intelligent person would find confusing? The alternative is a 2000 word essay explaining every possible contingency which nobody would read.

The thing is, even though this advice is different, it's what people are doing now anyway. So there actually isn't much change. People need to be sensible with it. Go visit one or two family members in the week but don't have a BBQ every night with 10's of people. Pretty simple and it's what needed to happen to prevent people losing their minds.

Let's see what else is to be said, I find the criticism (from higher powers) embarrassing.

1 hour ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Ice cream van just turned up round our way :huh:

Kind of a take away service so I suppose it's ok?

More to the point it's bloomin' freezing

Always turns up at ours, rain or shine recently, just before dinner time. Inconsiderate b@stard. Not ideal with a 3 year old.

However, I wondered how they keep the safe distance.

Guest ttfn

One of the questions from the public at the Daily Presser a couple of weeks ago was from a grandparent asking when it was ok for them to see and hug their grandkids again. Is that ok now or not? 

Stay at home - definitely not

Stay at home as much as possible - probably not but if you’re an old person whose life revolves around their grandkids it becomes a lot vaguer. 

Personally I think this is going to lead to more, not less, curtain twitching - obviously more people will be and about and those following a stricter approach may be resentful that their version of “stay at home as much as possible” isn’t the same as others’. I’ve certainly not been judging others (footballers’ sex parties apart) but I am going to be hacked off if this lockdown gets extended because the general public starts taking the piss. And we all know they will.

One last thing - thinking that the messaging is too vague does not have to be a party political thing. I didn’t vote Tory and I don’t think they’ve covered themselves in glory, but the scientific knowledge and prevailing wisdom around this virus is changing all the time. I think they’ve done a reasonable job on this all things considered and stood up for them over the 100,000 daily tests business, which was a great example of people wanting to pick holes in a clear success for no reason other than party loyalty. But the real “successes” they’ve had have been when they have had absolutely crystal clear communication. The three point motto is a great example of that, and created a clear message that everybody got and was incredibly well observed for about 6 weeks. This isn’t as clear, isn’t as helpful and will lead to more division and I can’t see how it doesn’t contribute to the virus having a longer and fatter tail than necessary.

Guest ttfn
20 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

The thing is, even though this advice is different, it's what people are doing now anyway. So there actually isn't much change. People need to be sensible with it. Go visit one or two family members in the week but don't have a BBQ every night with 10's of people. Pretty simple and it's what needed to happen to prevent people losing their minds.

Let's see what else is to be said, I find the criticism (from higher powers) embarrassing.

Maybe the press conference will clarify this as your interpretation (see friends and family but keep your distance and be careful) is very different to mine (stay at home unless you can’t avoid it).

I am hopeful that if they do clarify it it’s more towards your end of the spectrum...

Edited by ttfn

1 minute ago, ttfn said:

Maybe the press conference will clarify this as your interpretation (see friends and family but keep your distance and be careful) is very different to mine (stay at home unless you can’t avoid it).

I am hopeful that if they do clarify it it’s more towards your end of the spectrum...

Pre-recorded apparently.