Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

52 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I'm still confused as to why the government have not issued a statement about wearing a face mask because to me that's how we get out of this mess. This R value buzz word is about transmission, not about catching the virus, so to get a R0 value  you need to stop the transmission. If everyone wore a face mask, how can the virus be passed to someone else.

Surely it's because it's not possible? We'd need about 10 billion face masks, and we're currently struggling to get enough for our health workers as it is.

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Surely it's because it's not possible? We'd need about 10 billion face masks, and we're currently struggling to get enough for our health workers as it is.

Wrap a t shirt round your face then, as the government have advised. The point is to stop you giving it to someone else not to stop you getting it.

50 minutes ago, StanSP said:

'take it on the chin' 

'let it pass through' 

Take a couple of quotes, crop them, take them out of context and frame them in a way that was never intended.  

Then later have a bit of a cry on FT about how you get accused of point scoring.

Pathetic.

• Like 3

Johnson keeps encouraging us to look at 'excess deaths' if we want to make international comparisons, seemingly completely unaware that the current figures for excess deaths look even worse for the UK than the other types of international comparisons.

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Sorry, but the more you hear about the UK response to this pandemic, the more inept & shifty it sounds. This is NOT a matter of politics, it is a matter of the competence & trustworthiness of the government and authorities.

Australia also has a conservative government, but are eminently more competent.

People don't like that attitude though. A lot of folk are still playing a team sport in terms of politics, rather than putting their preferences aside.

Looking at it impartially it's hard not to criticise the way this has been handled. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Wrap a t shirt round your face then, as the government have advised. The point is to stop you giving it to someone else not to stop you getting it.

Don't they then have to be thrown away? As the virus could be on the outside surface of the mask and you're then taking it around everywhere. If so I'd be topless after 3 weekslol

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Don't they then have to be thrown away? As the virus could be on the outside surface of the mask and you're then taking it around everywhere. If so I'd be topless after 3 weekslol

It doesn't matter where the virus is as long as your not transmitting it to someone else.

6 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It doesn't matter where the virus is as long as your not transmitting it to someone else.

2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

...Wash it? :mellow:

At work we're instructed to double bag our masks and then throw them away, one use only. I assumed it would be the same with the masks that they would want the public to wear.

30 minutes ago, murphy said:

Take a couple of quotes, crop them, take them out of context and frame them in a way that was never intended.  

Then later have a bit of a cry on FT about how you get accused of point scoring.

Pathetic.

Thanks for your input. 

3 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

I heard on the news that the self employed can claim today. I registered last week but according to the website you can't claim till 15th may. Am I missing something? I must admit I find the government gateway website baffling to say the least.

Everyone has different dates/times between the 13-18th to claim. You could have checked your eligibility for the last couple of weeks which would have told you your date and time. 

I can claim from Friday at 8am, my mate tomorrow at 12 and the lad I work with claimed this morning. 

Edited by Messi

47 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

At work we're instructed to double bag our masks and then throw them away, one use only. I assumed it would be the same with the masks that they would want the public to wear.

The reason for that though is because the virus could have been transmitted to your mask from someone else or more specifically someone else's breath that contained the virus. If that person had a mask on, they wouldn't be able to transmit it to you, unless other contact was made. Obviously those who have to handle people with the virus, i.e. nhs workers and care home staff, are far more at risk because of other transmission factors which should be part of that persons training and knowledge of handling sick or contagious people , but the basics of stopping transmission in normal people is for everyone to simply wear a mask, in other words, i can't breath on you and you can't breath on me. No doubt some scientist would bring in extra factors such as finger nail juice or hair grease.

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Messi said:

Everyone has different dates/times between the 13-18th to claim. You could have checked your eligibility for the last couple of weeks which would have told you your date and time. 

I can claim from Friday at 8am, my mate tomorrow at 12 and the lad I work with claimed this morning. 

Thanks mate, I didn't realise that, just checkes and I'm Friday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'm starting to think that Brazil could very easily end up being the worst affected country of all the way it's spiriling out of control there mixed with the panic about food shortages if lockdown goes on much longer.

It's going to be a lot harder to do tests on amazonian tribes and in the huge shanty towns on the outskirts of Rio and Sao Paulo though than it is in America. So we might not know the true extent of the death toll in Brazil for years.

• Sad 1

I'm genuinely in favour of the BBC promoting minority sports and I like that they try to mix up their coverage. 

But there definitely are drawbacks. Having to actually know who Eniola Aluko is and read her pointless, shit opinions is certainly one of them. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I'm starting to think that Brazil could very easily end up being the worst affected country of all the way it's spiriling out of control there mixed with the panic about food shortages if lockdown goes on much longer.

It's going to be a lot harder to do tests on amazonian tribes and in the huge shanty towns on the outskirts of Rio and Sao Paulo though than it is in America. So we might not know the true extent of the death toll in Brazil for years.

I think that's entirely possible. Which will be awful.

18 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm genuinely in favour of the BBC promoting minority sports and I like that they try to mix up their coverage. 

But there definitely are drawbacks. Having to actually know who Eniola Aluko is and read her pointless, shit opinions is certainly one of them. 

Probably one of the best Corona Virus related posts on this thread tbh

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Some cotton, some elastic and a needle and thread, or sewing machine is all that's needed.

Surely there's plenty of companies in Leicestershire alone that can mass produce.

My 10 year old daughter is currently able to produce 20 or so a day on her own. So it can't be that difficult. Her aim is to produce enough for the family, neighbours and any school friends and families that require them.