Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigWesMorgan

Aston Villa post match thread 2-1

2 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Anyone slagging Maddison off is a cheesy bellend. I swear some of you do not deserve to watch a player of his class in a Leicester shirt. 

We were unlucky. Very good first half but got more and more desperate as the game went on. We had more than enough chances to win 3 games but could not take them. They had 3 or 4 decent chances and took 2 of them. It happens. 

All this not turning up bollocks. Have a look at the stats of possession and chances people. Shit happens at football sometimes and it was our turn tonight. 

All sounds a bit Spursy to me. Can’t wait for Wembley to compete for the possesion trophy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Some serious half-witted fux on this forum. Up one week, down the next. Those who blame the team for lacking consistency should show some themselves.   3rd in the league, semi in one cup, round 5 in another. Reading some of the crap on this site you’d think we were relegation fodder.    I think it’s called being a fair-weather fan and there are plenty of you here.

• Like 2

Just now, Ted Maul said:

The lack of movement/options was this major issue. Absolutely **** all on whenever we had the ball.

Even so, just put your fu*king foot through it, the amount of times he put us under pressure was ridiculous, the style were trying to play from the back just isn’t working at all.

5 minutes ago, LeeTheFox said:

I thought Jonny Evans had a shocker tonight he looked so scared to pass the ball and what’s with the pace of our football at the minute? We look dreadful at times. 👎🏽

Not sure about that but why, when we had the best defence in the Premiership with him playing on the right of defence, did Rodgers chose to play him on the left against Southampton,  a team we'd beaten 9 nil. Did it yet again tonight against a bottom of the league team, why? We lost again. Why is he messing about with the one formula on the pitch which is hugely successful? Ego and micro management?

• Like 1

It is a big disappointment to lose to a very average, no, poor Villa side, who have not got a hope in the final and most likely get relegated. Football can be a cruel game, clearly we were the better team, but not have the rub of the green. They (Villa) do not have much to look forward to for the rest of the season, I for one have never liked the majority of the Villa fans I have come in contact or worked with, most have been very arrogant, yet have nothing to be arrogant about. We move on now to maintain the top 4 posn and forget about teams heading the championship.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

I hate to say it but the last 6 weeks has reminded me so much of the 2013/14 season when we were top two in The Championship at the turn of the year and looked like a good side but with some promising young players but just didn’t have the mental resilience to see it through - eventually dropping out of the play-offs and only just sneaking back in on the final day.

Looking at our regular outfield players, the only experience and ‘know how’ I see is Evans and Vardy and it’ll be a case of whether the chasing pack in the league can get their act together better than we can in the race for top four.

In the summer at the end of that 2013/14 season Pearson went and brought in the likes of Wasilewski, Hammond and Taylor-Fletcher. Unspectacular players but ones who could give that promising young group a bit of nous. Would like to see Rodgers follow suit (obviously with a higher class of player) and go and spend some money on someone who can give us a bit more steel and grit when we’re mentally fragile.

Villa wanted it more over both legs, dug deep, battled for it and made it difficult. We pranced around and failed to come up with anything when we faced a resolute opponent.

Agree 100% with all of this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

I hate to say it but the last 6 weeks has reminded me so much of the 2013/14 season when we were top two in The Championship at the turn of the year and looked like a good side but with some promising young players but just didn’t have the mental resilience to see it through - eventually dropping out of the play-offs and only just sneaking back in on the final day.

Looking at our regular outfield players, the only experience and ‘know how’ I see is Evans and Vardy and it’ll be a case of whether the chasing pack in the league can get their act together better than we can in the race for top four.

In the summer at the end of that 2013/14 season Pearson went and brought in the likes of Wasilewski, Hammond and Taylor-Fletcher. Unspectacular players but ones who could give that promising young group a bit of nous. Would like to see Rodgers follow suit (obviously with a higher class of player) and go and spend some money on someone who can give us a bit more steel and grit when we’re mentally fragile.

Villa wanted it more over both legs, dug deep, battled for it and made it difficult. We pranced around and failed to come up with anything when we faced a resolute opponent.

YES YES YES. 

10 minutes ago, reynard said:

I think your being a bit harsh here. We have got to where we are in the league by playing great football and by winning the games we should win. However, in certain big games we simply have not turned up/ bottled it/blown it or however you want to phrase it. Three of our best results have come playing against ten men for much of the match.

Forget this match over two legs and just think back to the Liverpool match at home. Ok so they are fantastic but that was a "big" match. Live on TV moved to the prime 8pm kick off 1st place vs second place in one of the top leagues in world football. Domestic league football doesn't get much bigger. Yet we really barely turned up, looked completely overwhelmed by the occasion and lost without them really breaking sweat. And didn't just lose but lost very badly.

In fact we nearly blew the quarter final against Everton. Great 1st half lousy second half.

I don't know why but I do feel we lack that "big match" mentality.

It is really, ....The New situation,a Team learning,and still a young squad.

Today it was the oppo's GK,who was man of the match.  

Its downright silly,over-analysing,Psycho-analysing every moment or move.....Sport is a bugger, or a lovely-mother, or the best romp ever......

We have to take the Frustration on the chin....Febuary & March,will Show us now,what Metal is withinside this squad...Its up to them as a group,to prove they have it in them,to Advance and mature from that 1st sentence mentioned above..!!!

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

**** me. Genuinely shocked with some of the weird stuff im reading in this thread.

Will come back tomorrow and hopefully people with brains will be back on.

Laughable isn't it, still nothing compared to the match day thread.

I know it's said a lot, but many our fans seem to forget where we have come from and how lucky we are to have one of the best teams we've ever had and probably ever will have.

At the end of the day we've gone out of the bloody Carabao Cup unfortunately in the semi final, whilst we're verging on qualifying for the Champions league again and have a favourable tie in the FA cup 5th round.

Perspective is very important here, I hope people use this disappointment to urge this young team on this Saturday.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LeeTheFox said:

Even so, just put your fu*king foot through it, the amount of times he put us under pressure was ridiculous, the style were trying to play from the back just isn’t working at all.

Absolutely. Kept boxing ourselves in. Too many players hiding and not demanding the ball though, unfortunately.

Just now, Ted Maul said:

Absolutely. Kept boxing ourselves in. Too many players hiding and not demanding the ball though, unfortunately.

Tielemens was particularly guilty of this. He is an "Only sings when we're winning" player it would seem. He needs managing - because he is potentially world class. 

We were by far the better team and 9/10 we go through to the final.

Not only did we have terrible officiating but we also had to score against a team who we’re very defensive. I kno our players should have done better defensively with the last goal but the ref has literally handed the possession over to them for their final attack unfairly after Maddison won the ball and we should have had our final attack! It was the ‘high foot’ tackle when Maddison’s foot was just higher than the other players foot. Mike Dean giving needless fouls as per usual because he can’t stand not getting involved. Shit ref!!

anyway we played well, their keeper made some great saves and our keeper didn’t. To be fair it was only the first one he should have squared up to and got some of his body on it but the goal was very fortunate for Villa.

I thought we played well which makes it so much harder that we’ve not made it to the final!

• Like 2

The bottom line is this. Dean smith  did his homework and closed the middle of the park down, Grealish had much  more room  than Maddison. We didn't really show much  nous in that second half despite scoring. The number of times we had a free kick  we could've put in their box and we quickly went 5 yards sideways drove me batty

One thing I've noticed with Rodgers is that like Pearson, he gets very cautious in the big games. When we played man  city and Liverpool we played a different way, and over the two legs it's felt the same. He didn't 'go for it' for want of a better term, just like Pearson bottled the Cardiff playoff by being too defensive.

I thought villa deserved it over both  legs.

Edited by Swiss_tony
typos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Milo said:

And conceded 3 goals

I would rather criticise cag’s weak attempt at a block than kaspers effort at saving it re their first

other two are not saveable

12 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

So he saved one then ? 

Yes, trezeguets weak effort second half 

im going to bed ......too many idiots ...... I get it that your pissed off  - me too but don’t have a go at the players .... it’s football ....

the best team doesn’t always win .....

even over two legs 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Swiss_tony said:

Good old Demari, as poor as Barnes was apart from the goal, at least  he closed people down. Gray  just  ran  away  from elmo and gave him the freedom of the park  to put that  cross in.

That's too harsh on Gray. We shouldn't have been 1-1 in the first place. Gray had more of the ball in their half in 10 mins than Barnes did in 80. 

13 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

All sounds a bit Spursy to me. Can’t wait for Wembley to compete for the possesion trophy.

lol

Can not believe this load of cry baby shite has been repped. We truly have some twatty supporters. Absolute embarassment. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Surprised how they pressed us second half from our goal kicks .... expected they would sit back with their lead at the time ....

we dealt with that poorly and put ourselves under pressure time and time again 

I think teams are getting wise to this tactic. If they press us high we struggle to build play, as Southampton showed.

• Thanks 1