Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigWesMorgan

Aston Villa post match thread 2-1

3 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

The ONLY bottle job tonight was Dean leaving the penalty decision to VAR

Something really odd about this VAR thing. OK, a ref gets one look and can make a mistake but how can it be explained that an incorrect decision is called with the benefit of replays?? I don't get it anymore. 

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Do you really think they’ll give a shit about losing at Wembley, it’s all about the moment.

Yes. When it's a record loss and goes down in history - and features in more quiz questions than their European cup win.

Edited by trabuch

Just now, Sunbury Fox said:

Have to say that it is astonishing that even on review the penalty is not given. His arm is clearly in an unnatural position. But at half time I'm sure that one of the pundits said that if the ball strikes a hand from very close range then there is discretion to let the defender off. Is this true?

Yes but it wasn’t that close to him ......

7 minutes ago, bmt said:

It’s not a fact. How do you get to 3rd in the league without winning big games? how do you get to a semi final Without a big game?

Or are big games only those prescribed to you by sky and their “big 6” bollocks?

I think your being a bit harsh here. We have got to where we are in the league by playing great football and by winning the games we should win. However, in certain big games we simply have not turned up/ bottled it/blown it or however you want to phrase it. Three of our best results have come playing against ten men for much of the match.

Forget this match over two legs and just think back to the Liverpool match at home. Ok so they are fantastic but that was a "big" match. Live on TV moved to the prime 8pm kick off 1st place vs second place in one of the top leagues in world football. Domestic league football doesn't get much bigger. Yet we really barely turned up, looked completely overwhelmed by the occasion and lost without them really breaking sweat. And didn't just lose but lost very badly.

In fact we nearly blew the quarter final against Everton. Great 1st half lousy second half.

I don't know why but I do feel we lack that "big match" mentality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bmt said:

It’s not a fact. How do you get to 3rd in the league without winning big games? how do you get to a semi final Without a big game?

Or are big games only those prescribed to you by sky and their “big 6” bollocks?

Alright then, we’ve failed to win any games against the big 6*, nor our 2 semi finals against Villa. Tactically we’ve been outdone and on the pitch we’ve been outfought in every one of these matches. I hope it changes against Chelsea, but we’ll see. 

*except Spurs.  

Edit: Current top 6 I’m talking about. 

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's very frustrating considering the draw we were given knowing that not long ago we'd outclassed Villa in the League in their own ground. There is also a trend this season of not turning up in the big games and I've gotta say after watching that it was a similar situation, we weren't on it, even given the wasted chances we gave them too much time and space in dangerous positions. Not gonna reel off player ratings on this one, think Maddison would've had an 8/10 performance if he stuck one of his chances away but ends up looking more a 4/10 for blazing a couple over whilst leaning back.

Probably should've been a pen first half but still only would've made it 1-1. Last time we lost a last minute semi-final was in 2013 under Nige, as a result we took the lessons from that pain and went on to thrive & succeed; the only real way to put this behind us is by winning something in the near future. Besides a day out at Wembley would've been nice but the idea of playing Man City there might've dulled optimism and an actual whooping on our big day out against them would've hurt more. Good luck Villa you c**ts.

Edited by Jaspa

2 minutes ago, RussBKK said:

It is what it is... But these are my overriding thoughts... Maddison is a show pony, Barns and Gray are simply not good enough (Gray has had too many chances already) and Chilwell must be the most overrated player in the country! Just my opinion. 

I agree with the madders bit so fraustrating at times and I thought grealish for villa was so effective for them. 

Gray he has too many chances now and chillwell if we got the 60-80mill that is being talked about I'd snapped their hand off.

I haven't seen him bet his man for a while now, everytime he gets the ball it gets played back or he loses it. 

• Like 1

Villa are nothing more than a championship side, they are utter crap! they offer nothing at all, we dominated over 2 legs, it was just individual errors, bad luck and poor decision making that cost us!

I am disappointed that in recent weeks we have been smashed and roll over for top teams and barley create anything against poor ones. We need to figure out how to stand up to the big boys and wipe the floor with the little ones. I thought we'd struggle to break into the top 6 this season so we are massively over achieving, we are a young and evolving team and we really need to learn from recent results and improve on it. Brendan is clever enough to realise this and despite our anger at a big wasted opportunity now, our squad is fantastic and has plenty of time to learn and perfect things 

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Alright then, we’ve failed to win any games against the big 6*, nor our 2 semi finals against Villa. Tactically we’ve been outdone and on the pitch we’ve been outfought in every one of these matches. I hope it changes against Chelsea, but we’ll see. 

*except Spurs.  

We weren't outfought or outplayed by Villa. No way.

3 minutes ago, reynard said:

I think your being a bit harsh here. We have got to where we are in the league by playing great football and by winning the games we should win. However, in certain big games we simply have not turned up/ bottled it/blown it or however you want to phrase it. Three of our best results have come playing against ten men for much of the match.

Forget this match over two legs and just think back to the Liverpool match at home. Ok so they are fantastic but that was a "big" match. Live on TV moved to the prime 8pm kick off 1st place vs second place in one of the top leagues in world football. Domestic league football doesn't get much bigger. Yet we really barely turned up, looked completely overwhelmed by the occasion and lost without them really breaking sweat. And didn't just lose but lost very badly.

In fact we nearly blew the quarter final against Everton. Great 1st half lousy second half.

The wrong tactics combined with a young team essentially. 

29 minutes ago, Meat and 2 veg said:

He’s always on the floor though. Brilliant for villa because he can waste more time for them.

A lot less than Maddison, let's be fair about it.Grealish, like Zaha for Palace, is such a targeted man compared to Maddison who's one good player amongst many. I'm afraid at this moment in time, as good as Maddison can be, Grealish is all round the better player of the two.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 3

Just now, reynard said:

I’m not being harsh. For me Chelsea away is a bigger game than Liverpool home when they’ve won every game since time itself started (and there’s a good argument to say we bottler Chelsea away). I just think big game mentality is such an easy get out and we have won big games. 

also ‘we nearly blew it against Everton’ should surely be balanced with the fact we deserved to win tonight. You can’t judge us one game on what we deserve and the next on what we achieve 

4 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I bet if villa fans are reading this they'll think we're a bunch of bitter feckers.:D

Reckon they've got better things to do at the moment than read our forum! Besides, they've been there. Most fans have. Your pissed off, blame the ref, call them all the names... then eventually calm down and start all over.

Beat Chelsea and we'll be all smiles again.

• Thanks 1