Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Chelsea (H) - Pre Match Thread - Sat 1st Feb - 12.30pm

I can't see nothing but the same team that started last night playing this game. 

Get back on the horse, I really think the players will understand the position we're in better than many fans are at present. 

Praet, Fuchs and Choudhury possibly pushing the starting places. 

Justin, perhaps, if the Ricardo shift up the pitch is an option for Brendan.

The Top 4 is all to play for now, with another potential excellent run in a Cup. 

When our title-winning team lost to a last-minute winner at Arsenal, they bounced back brilliantly... and the rest is history.

They did so because they had that often used football word: Character.

Does this team have it? Well their response to losing in a similar fashion at Anfield earlier this season was magnificent.

But we’re at the business end of the season now and they need to show that they’ve still got it.

Pronto.

I think I could leak the team for this one as I really can't see their being a significant change (barring injury) from last night. I think we're starting to see what our 'best' team is even if we might quibble over certain positions and see potentials for upgrades in others. You might make a change for tactical purposes but, again, it'd not be one to cause controversy. So maybe a bit of tweaking to counter any specific Chelsea threat.

For me, our only genuine tactical options (that is, those we can look at to change the game, or the way we're playing) are Nacho, Praet and (to a lesser extent) Hamza. Mendy is a potential but not guaranteed and still (surprisingly) a bit of a gamble/unknown. Gray and Albrighton don't offer any great hope for me and are used either as a roll of the dice or when players are injured or tired, to introduce fresh legs. A sub keeper and CB are just what you do on the subs bench, used on in event of injury (or off days!)

I'm hoping Abraham is out for them, the guy's a handful and in rich form. Also (and I've no idea why this is) there's something about him that gets up my nose and I'd probably smash something if he scored!

Edited by mabrah
  • Like 1

This now becomes a bigger game than anticipated. Win and play well and confidence will be with the lads to finish top 4.

Lose and it could bash the confidence further causing top 4 to slip.

I appreciate there is a middle ground but the game Is an important one.

Edited by Stephen Hughes

7 hours ago, Onions said:

Can’t believe I’m saying it, but Vardy can’t start. 

He’s clearly not fit enough, didn’t touch the ball for 17 minutes today (granted not his fault as we were shite) but there he wasn’t making the runs he does 

He's not been himself since his new arrival. I wonder if something's not right behind the scenes again especially now Sean's leaking the team on a weekly basis.

14 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

Chelsea, Wolves and Man City in February. 

I'm immensely proud of our season so far but the players need grow some bollocks for these next games. They are going to be seriously tough.

And Norwich away, a tough place to go. 5 points should be our minimum target. 7 would be very good. Anything more a bonus.

Guest An Sionnach

This match is more of a performance check than a must win . Chelsea have been inconsistent so its hard to predict how they will play but there is little between the teams. We need a good solid defensive display, that has been lacking recently and a pragmatic approach in midfield where they are pretty strong. Praet is a pragmatic footballer, nothing flashy but covers a lot of territory and he should replace Tielemans for this match . Hamza covers attacking runs by both full backs and means Perez or Barnes can operate more centrally, then its a choice between in form Iheanacho or not yet fully fit Vardy.

Would like to see Justin play and put Ricardo more forward in place of Perez. I really want him to do well but he seems so light weight and goes missing a lot. I know he may not be playing in his favoured position so give Ricardo a chance he will get plenty of assist and will have Justin to cover in defence. Really need at least a point out of this game and hope a few teams below us drop some again. Madders needs to get back to the business again or his low chance of making the euros will completely disappear. Hope vardy is fit as he should run their defence around. Don’t start him on the bench let him start and give him 50/60 mins see how he gets on then take him off

4 hours ago, Ricey said:

I just want to see us turn up for once in a big match. Nothing clever tactically from Rodgers, just a team turning up with fire in their bellies and ready to prove a point.

.. that is the problem, he seems to be setting us up with different combinations and we are worse off for it!!

Switching Evans and Caglar around may have given the right side a defender with more pace but unbalanced the side and with Ricardo pushed so far up the pitch Grealish had the run of the park as no one was there to box him in. We conceded the home fixture goal more or less in the same way as Caglar did not close the gap and allowed the cross to come in to the box. 

We have become predictable and we need a new plan. 

We have only been really rubbish against Southampton. Burnley and Villa smashed and grabbed us with their keepers playing blinders. I am quitetly confident and actually expect the team to be well up for this after yesterday's agony. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

We have only been really rubbish against Southampton. Burnley and Villa smashed and grabbed us with their keepers playing blinders. I am quitetly confident and actually expect the team to be well up for this after yesterday's agony. 

We weren’t great Villa at home, but we were good last night, barring a lapse of concentration. We’re a young team, it’ll come good. No way we’ve peaked yet

9 hours ago, Stephen Hughes said:

This now becomes a bigger game than anticipated. Win and play well and confidence will be with the lads to finish top 4.

Lose and it could bash the confidence further causing top 4 to slip.

I appreciate there is a middle ground but the game Is an important one.

This is a  great moment..hold tight onto your mama,if you cant Take the high winds...

A draw I will be more than happy....A win,like your mama would be so nice...;)

Let's go in to our winter break on a positive note. A win would be massive. I would go 2 up top and put their shoddy defence under pressure. Width from the full backs as usual. 

Kasper 

Ricardo    Evans      Soyuncu    Chilwell 

Praet        Ndidi    Tielemans 

Maddison 

Iheanacho         Vardy 

Subs: Ward, Benkovic, Justin, Choudhury, Barnes, Albrighton, Perez 

• Like 1