Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lcfc-1992

Man City Pre Match

Just now, les-tah said:

no wilf again and in Rogers word 'no timeline on when hes back'

i fear we have really ****ed him up rushing a knee cartilage injury. 

He looked like he wasn’t able to physically commit on his Instagram post the other day showing his gym work 

I would think he will return for villa H 9th March 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Puel set us up a very specific way against the top teams last season, with Ndidi, Mendy and Choudhury all starting and playing on the break. And it worked several times against top teams to get us some good results.

Rodgers won't do that though as he is the type of coach that has a specific philosophy, which is to be proactive and to try and stamp our identity and way of playing on the game. That's why thus far against Liverpool and Man City we've been way out of our depth because those teams are much better at doing that than we are. But the thing is that to be a top team, you have to learn how to do this and accept it will go wrong a few times. For example in 2016 Guardiola turned up to the KP to try and stamp his way of playing on us and we went 4-0 up on them with our counter attack. But the next season they won the league with 100 points after they took some knockbacks in his first season in England. 

The Spurs - Leipzig game last night was a good example of reactionary versus proactive tactics. Leipzig are newcomers to the Champions League, yet played Spurs off the park. But they have been beaten a number of times by teams like Bayern in trying to perfect their blend of football. 

I've gone for a Man City win because I think they are still too good for us. But at some point we will play our A-game against a top team and win doing it, and look convincing too. And that will be a landmark moment for the club and team, because that's when we can start dreaming of really becoming a top team IMO. 

If there’s one thing we haven’t done in recent games against opposition like Man City and Liverpool, it’s “be proactive and stamp out identity on the pitch.” :P  We barely pressed in either of those last two games.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I didn’t expect six points out of those two games! Hoping we can get right at Man City this weekend and see this a “free hit” ahead of a decent run of fixtures. 

2 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I'd be shocked if it isn't this:

Iheanacho    Vardy

Maddison

Praet       Tielemens   

Chilwell                                             Ricardo

Bennett  Evans  Soyuncu

Schmeichel

Think you're right. Only one that might change is iheanacho dropping out for Perez or Barnes. But on recent form and for the fact we've barely seen iheanacho and vardy play together, I'd play iheanacho

52 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I'd be shocked if it isn't this:

Iheanacho    Vardy

Maddison

Praet       Tielemens   

Chilwell                                             Ricardo

Bennett  Evans  Soyuncu

Schmeichel

i think that would be my pick too. Vardy needs some help up front, especially if we are not going with wingers. We saw from the last game that KDB/Mahrez can tear us a new one if they are in the mood so need to stiffen up the back. This way if the wing backs push on, three at the back, plus Praet can provide cover. It may leave us a bit narrow further up the field if Chillers and Ricky are being pushed back but Nacho gives us another outlet as he can hold the ball up. Barnes does not provide Chilwell with enough defensive cover as was aptly demonstrated last time and, whilst i like Perez's link up play with Ricky and Youri, i fear he is a little lightweight for this one and would go Nacho.

My only fear is that we get pushed back and end up with five at the back and no outlet on the wings but you can't have it both ways. If its not working then we bring on some attacking width (perm two from Barnes/Albrighton/Gray/Perez) and go back to our normal 4-1-4-1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

Matty James midfield masterclass incoming.

Been watching poor old Matty performing for the under 23's and sadly doesn't show any extra talent at that level. Sadly his and Wes's time have come and gone. Plus both are probably pretty good wages that could be used for young proven talent in this league.

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Puel set us up a very specific way against the top teams last season, with Ndidi, Mendy and Choudhury all starting and playing on the break. And it worked several times against top teams to get us some good results.

Rodgers won't do that though as he is the type of coach that has a specific philosophy, which is to be proactive and to try and stamp our identity and way of playing on the game. That's why thus far against Liverpool and Man City we've been way out of our depth because those teams are much better at doing that than we are. But the thing is that to be a top team, you have to learn how to do this and accept it will go wrong a few times. For example in 2016 Guardiola turned up to the KP to try and stamp his way of playing on us and we went 4-0 up on them with our counter attack. But the next season they won the league with 100 points after they took some knockbacks in his first season in England. 

The Spurs - Leipzig game last night was a good example of reactionary versus proactive tactics. Leipzig are newcomers to the Champions League, yet played Spurs off the park. But they have been beaten a number of times by teams like Bayern in trying to perfect their blend of football. 

I've gone for a Man City win because I think they are still too good for us. But at some point we will play our A-game against a top team and win doing it, and look convincing too. And that will be a landmark moment for the club and team, because that's when we can start dreaming of really becoming a top team IMO. 

I think it all depends on which Leicester and which Man City show up. If the Leicester of pre Norwich show up we lose 2-1 or draw 2-2.  If the post Norwich team show up we lose 3/4 - 0. If they feel angry for what as happened could be worse. Would love a win buy dont believe we have the correct spirit right now to ruffle feathers. People ask which team is better. League winning team or this one?  In my opinion this team overall have more natural talent but League winning side had so much more heart, drive and passion. This team is young but need to learn the drive and passion. Often too weak and easily bullied on the pitch.

Guest An Sionnach
6 minutes ago, LCFCSOULBOY said:

Been watching poor old Matty performing for the under 23's and sadly doesn't show any extra talent at that level. Sadly his and Wes's time have come and gone. Plus both are probably pretty good wages that could be used for young proven talent in this league.

Ndidi, Mendy, Amartey injured , Hamza in the naughty corner and James too fat is not reassuring in the DM sector so we will just have to crowd them out. Sit back and hit them on the break like the old days gives us the best chance.

Playing Matty James would be akin to what Villa did to Drinky; throwing him to the wolves. Can't see Rodgers doing it. This game is a free hit re our CL aspirations so experiment by changing the system. Ricey's lineup seems solid to me. Play with a bit more intensity, move the ball quicker and have Iheanacho up front to support Vardy.

Edited by SixtiesFox

10 minutes ago, LCFCSOULBOY said:

I'd doubt he'd be busting a gut in u23 games, merely getting game time. I don't think u23 form transposes well to first team action either, I remember similar comments on here about the supposed 'nothing special' u23 form of Soyuncu and the rest there is history, the manager unsurprisingly knew best.

Rodgers has been quite complementary regarding James's comeback and will use him if he thinks he's up to it and required. Even then, after all this time injured, I would like to think people on here would cut him a bit of slack and not expect too much. It's very easy to stick the knife in, not so easy to get straight up to the speed of the Premiership following such a long layoff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_77 said:

If there’s one thing we haven’t done in recent games against opposition like Man City and Liverpool, it’s “be proactive and stamp out identity on the pitch.” :P  We barely pressed in either of those last two games.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I didn’t expect six points out of those two games! Hoping we can get right at Man City this weekend and see this a “free hit” ahead of a decent run of fixtures. 

Well that's my point, we were awful in both of those games over Christmas. But I don't think we intentionally sat off them, we just never got going. In both games Rodgers said we weren't brave enough on the pitch. 

9 minutes ago, LCFCSOULBOY said:

I think it all depends on which Leicester and which Man City show up. If the Leicester of pre Norwich show up we lose 2-1 or draw 2-2.  If the post Norwich team show up we lose 3/4 - 0. If they feel angry for what as happened could be worse. Would love a win buy dont believe we have the correct spirit right now to ruffle feathers. People ask which team is better. League winning team or this one?  In my opinion this team overall have more natural talent but League winning side had so much more heart, drive and passion. This team is young but need to learn the drive and passion. Often too weak and easily bullied on the pitch.

Our current team has the better quality but definitely agree about being weak, specifically on the mental side. But most of the team are still very young so there's time for that to change. 

I'm hoping we taunt man city's fans throughout the game, regardless of the result.

I'm not sure I've got the tune right here but I like...

They won't let you play,

Baby it's cold outside,

You've got two years away,

Baby it's cold outside,

Peps not gonna stay,

Baby it's cold outside,

And we're on our way,

TO THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

I'm hoping we taunt man city's fans throughout the game, regardless of the result.

I'm not sure I've got the tune right here but I like...

They won't let you play,

Baby it's cold outside,

You've got two years away,

Baby it's cold outside,

Peps not gonna stay,

Baby it's cold outside,

And we're on our way,

TO THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.

Love it