Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Matty Elliott turned down Spurs £5m offer

Remember watching Elliott away at Villa Park in what I remember as 1998 and he was immense. An absolute beast. So composed on the ball. Very similar to Vardy as in a late bloomer to top flight football, but full of quality. Most importantly he is a Fox through and through and stayed loyal until his body couldn't hack it any longer. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Collymore said:

MON is a legend. Proper old school man management there!!! 

Must have adored Clough because his man management sounds just the same. 

I have heared Elliott talk about this potential Spurs move before on radio.

Two goals in a Cup final = legend status.

25 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Fantasy football manager's dream. Helped me to 3rd in Shoot Dream Team competition in 1998.

Ridiculous how he didnt start for Scotland in the 1998 World Cup.

Probably cos he wasn't really Scottish :D

Matty was my favourite player from that time. I'm sure I remember a couple of games when MON made him play as a centre forward because there was literally no-one else fit who could, we had such a small squad at that time.  I think most of us fans expected the worst, but unless my memory is playing tricks, I'm sure he scored two goals away at Everton to get us a point. Legend!

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that other clubs were after him. He wasn't quite good enough for the very top teams at the time (Man U and Arsenal), but he would IMO have been first team for anyone else, even Liverpool, Leeds or Newcastle who were all good at the time. Maybe his appearance made people not take him seriously, but Elliott was very well rounded and a great leader. Perhaps a lack of pace could have caught him out at the very top level, but for me he's quite reminiscent of Jonny Evans for us now, albeit Evans is the better player on the ball.

I am thankful he stayed with us, and delighted he's still involved with the club and clearly still a big fan. I met briefly once in person and he was super nice in real life too!

2 hours ago, Gary Eatfood said:

One of most consistent performers from the O'Neill era. Scored some important goals, but this was pure class. About 1.20 in.

Casually turning a World Cup winner.