Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

8 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I would only want us to sell Chilwell under several circumstances

A: we need to sell to buy

B: we know we can replace him with a player of at least similar quality (NOT Bertrand, lol)

C: it's for a ridiculous sum of money

D: it doesn't lead to us getting our pants pulled down on other deals.

If even one of these is not true, there's no point to selling him. He's a good player and can improve. Not to mention replacing a first team player is always a risk, and selling ANOTHER player to Chelsea isn't a great look.

Absolutely this. Of we can afford to keep Chilwell AS WELL AS spending to improve other areas of the squad (RW in Particular) the we should unquestionably do this but this may not be feasible, ESPECIALLY after the effect that the pandemic will undoubtedly have on our finances. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hales said:

Exactly! Its not just a case of sell him and buy someone and job done. That player has to build a relationship with his team, get used to potentially new training techniques etc... Ben will leave a potentially big hole with the team. He seems very popular and is a player that most of the new players say is very welcoming.  If he wants to go thats fine but he really hasnt hit his peak yet so i dont think we should be rushing to sell him.  Cags, as a replacement for Maguire, was already part of the squad so was ready to step up when required.

JJ is going to be needed for the right back position until Ricardo comes back and potentially after that if Ricardo needs resting or easing back into playing.  I think really we should keep Ben for another year - CL is calling! We can save money and also generate money by off loading players with contracts expiring or who are not part of the future plans.  Chelsea will still want him in a year. They and Man City are always sniffing around him!

...not sure I understand why we constantly have to rehash the countless responses to this argument, made by many posters previously, but everyone seems to have their own ideas and  any although eloquent responses counteracting your premises, are seemingly ignored and the question once again is brought forward as if it was being asked the first time.

19 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

I really wish that I could understand why our fan base seem so happy to sell England's best left back. Don't forget it will take a lot of money to replace him & that player will take a time to settle in

Not that hard to understand, football fans are extremely fickle. He’s been well below par majority of the season so many would be glad to receive an inflated transfer fee in return for no more of those performances. If he comes out post-lockdown and plays to his full ability the same fans will be screaming at the club to keep at all costs. 

I get your point though- I’m of the opinion that we should keep. Although the Maguire move was sensational for us, receiving that money and allowing us to play Soyuncu + therefore improve the team overall, some fans need to realise that won’t happen every time we sell up. 

29 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...not sure I understand why we constantly have to rehash the countless responses to this argument, made by many posters previously, but everyone seems to have their own ideas and  any although eloquent responses counteracting your premises, are seemingly ignored and the question once again is brought forward as if it was being asked the first time.

I guess its called an opinion and everyone has one?! Im not sure why you are stating i am ignoring responses? Im absolutely not and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Edited by Hales

Peoples judgement cloud by the Maguire move, easy to think the same will happen again i.e. we sell Chilwell and get another player who is as good or better.

We got lucky with how well Soyuncu work out after selling Maguire, let be honest the club wasn't a 100% sure as we spent a lot of time looking at CB' that summer. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, sdb said:

Chelsea finishing 5th would be enjoyable. 

That would be funny enough in it's own right but if it stops us getting a squillion dollars for Chilwell, they can have 4th. Probably the least offensive of realistic challengers. 

And my reasoning is that I trust us to spend it wisely. We got Ricardo on the right and if we can get the equivalent on the left we are rocking. (and even if we don't, I don't think Chilwell sets the bar that high anyway personally) 

we should not sell to a rival..,,. Chilly signed a contract with us and he must honour it until we decide that it is time to sell in which can he can force the club to honour  it.  Frankly Chilly and his agent have to understand this and find a route out to an overseas club. IT is time for Top to step up and make this clear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hales said:

I guess its called an opinion and everyone has one?! Im not sure why you are stating i am ignoring responses? Im absolutely not and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

..absolutely no problem with you having an opinion, this is what this platform is about!!!

You postulated why would we sell Chilwell and hope to replace him with a player of a much lesser value.

This question has been asked on numerous occasions and answered by numerous posters, but yet you ask the question again.

My previous response was did you miss the countless posts and video replies endorsing the sale and subsequent replacement.

6 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..absolutely no problem with you having an opinion, this is what this platform is about!!!

You postulated why would we sell Chilwell and hope to replace him with a player of a much lesser value.

This question has been asked on numerous occasions and answered by numerous posters, but yet you ask the question again.

My previous response was did you miss the countless posts and video replies endorsing the sale and subsequent replacement.

I didn't ask a question i just posted an opinion? There are 600+ replies to this thread and no i haven't read them all.  I'm also not the only person to state an opinion or ask a question recently as you stated so i am unsure why you are highlighting me alone! Im not sure why the tone is being used as i havent been rude or disrespectful. Anyway im walking away as its a sunny day and i'm too tired after a nightshift to debate 😊

21 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Steady on! I’m not sure you run the narrative! Or that once a subject is responded to that somebody else can’t ask a question or post something similar to what’s been previously discussed. People dip in and out and don’t always read an entirety of a thread buddy. I’m not sure his post warranted that response!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/06/2020 at 20:31, Angus Scott said:

I really wish that I could understand why our fan base seem so happy to sell England's best left back. Don't forget it will take a lot of money to replace him & that player will take a time to settle in

We already have the replacement though.

On 12/06/2020 at 21:05, Grebfromgrebland said:

I live the idea of having Leicester players represent England and other teams at tournaments.

You like them leaving then? as almost every time we have players breaking into England they leave soon after.

Its a tapping up playground.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Do we?

Thomas is highly rated but a bit too early to chuck him in .... we should be signing someone decent who can be sold on in a couple years if Thomas begins to reach his potential .... it will be Brendan’s call if he believes Thomas can handle the step up at 19.   Big risk if he didn’t .....

if we can secure CL qualification early  then perhaps we could see him getting some run outs before the season is over ??

17 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Thomas is highly rated but a bit too early to chuck him in .... we should be signing someone decent who can be sold on in a couple years if Thomas begins to reach his potential .... it will be Brendan’s call if he believes Thomas can handle the step up at 19.   Big risk if he didn’t .....

if we can secure CL qualification early  then perhaps we could see him getting some run outs before the season is over ??

Aware he's rated well, especially due to his inclusion in the intersquad game. But way too soon for me, he needs a loan and consistent games for a year i think. Too much to rely on a kid with 0 league games.

I'd prefer a more proven player in to replace Chilwell rather than pushing Thomas in, but just my thought, he could well be ready.