Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

41 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You're right, Vardy left almost immediately.

Hang on...

Hence almost every player.

check the history records, you dont even need to do that, I posted a list of players earlier in this thread, almost every player who makes it as an england player leaves the club.

Vardy as we know almost left and was demotivated for a while after been tapped up.

So the question is valid, you like our players leaving?

3 hours ago, Guest said:

The more likely explanation is that breaking into the England setup requires (for our players at least) an extended run of particularly good form, the sort that might naturally attract attention from clubs with more money and pulling power. I think it's probable that Harry Maguire was convinced to move to Man Utd by the promise of a fat pay rise and regular European football, rather than by the incredible powers of persuasion wielded by the likes of Jesse Lingard.

And that being captain of one of the biggest clubs in world football was on the agenda within six months ..........

let’s not kid ourselves fellas ....London and a huge wedge is attractive to a single guy in his early twenties ...... add to that the ‘glamour’ of Chelsea and their global standing (yes they do have one) and we aren’t holding onto players that fit this category - but we are entitled to a big fee if we have them on a long contract !

18 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Who wants to tell them?

This might be a really stupid question, but do we have any say in Chilwell's future?  i.e. if Chelsea do convince him to join them, he can walk away from LCFC and we must take whatever cash Chelsea 'think' is appropriate?  It appears to suggest we have no say in any of this....................But there again, the Daily Fail is never wrong. 

6 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Hence almost every player.

check the history records, you dont even need to do that, I posted a list of players earlier in this thread, almost every player who makes it as an england player leaves the club.

Vardy as we know almost left and was demotivated for a while after been tapped up.

So the question is valid, you like our players leaving?

You'll have to forgive me not answering your statement with the ? rodded on at the end of it. 

What I will say is that you might be right, but that correlation is not causation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mozartfox said:

This might be a really stupid question, but do we have any say in Chilwell's future?  i.e. if Chelsea do convince him to join them, he can walk away from LCFC and we must take whatever cash Chelsea 'think' is appropriate?  It appears to suggest we have no say in any of this....................But there again, the Daily Fail is never wrong. 

We are only small Leicester, we don't get a say when the big boys come calling after we've competed with them on half their budget. 

I do think there's a limit to which, currently, we can expect to hold on to players. Unfortunately, the top 4 is consistently dominated by London and the North West - with big cities and nightlife. That said, there's nothing stopping him staying with us and living in Northants. The footballer's lifestyle is a weird one because of the days they work, along with training. 

Ultimately, the club have experience now with the Kante, Mahrez, Drinky and Maguire sales. They'll know how to play the game and realistically what they can get - it's whether they're willing to accept the offer and weigh it up versus a new contract. They could turn it down this year on the proviso he signs a new contract that improves his wages and adds a release clause of, say, £70 million. 

22 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

We are only small Leicester, we don't get a say when the big boys come calling after we've competed with them on half their budget. 

Thanks. And silly me, I thought if a player was under contract to LCFC we would have a say on his future, but I was forgetting we are small-time and one of the big 6. 

9 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Thanks. And silly me, I thought if a player was under contract to LCFC we would have a say on his future, but I was forgetting we are small-time and one of the big 6. 

Contracts don't mean anything with us, just a formality for the player to leave.

Sarcasm aside, Its irritating seeing these headlines and it being assumed our players will leave in a click. "If Chelsea get CL, Chilwell is there's" but what if Leicester get CL? Maybe he wants to play as the sole first choice in the CL with the club he's been with since a child? Maybe as undisputed first choice leading to the Euros is better than potential of being rotated at Chelsea? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mozartfox said:

..on the contrary, we set our own price!!!

If Chelsea falls short of our evaluation then he stays. Even if Chilwell pushes for the move they will still have to meet our price the only thing that would lower the price would be, Chilwell forgoing his loyalty bonus.

14 hours ago, mozartfox said:

We have the final say and the deal only happens on our approval.

But it's a false economy holding onto players who want to leave, it's best to ask for a price and try and squeeze as much as you can. We have the reputation as a club that is hard to get out of if you want to leave against the club's wishes. It was one of the reasons Tielemans would only contemplate signing a 4 year contract rather than the usual 5 year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gerard said:

But it's a false economy holding onto players who want to leave, it's best to ask for a price and try and squeeze as much as you can. We have the reputation as a club that is hard to get out of if you want to leave against the club's wishes. It was one of the reasons Tielemans would only contemplate signing a 4 year contract rather than the usual 5 year.

I’m glad someone else noticed......

10 hours ago, Gerard said:

There is a difference between wanting to leave and being unhappy staying. I am not saying we won't sell Chilwell, but he doesn't seem unhappy at Leicester, and may not mind sticking around another year, especially if CL is on offer. (Similar to Maguire, who wanted to leave a year earlier -- he didn't throw his toys out of the pram, and he didn't throw a hissy fit when we were taking our time squeezing every dime out of ManU last summer.)

The fact is, we don't have enough UEFA-defined "home grown" players to fill a CL or EL squad as it is ... losing Chilwell leaves us with Barnes and Hamza. That means "buying a replacement" -- at least for European games -- is at one level impossible (I know that we could survive with a 22-man CL list, but still). Add in the fact he is currently our only locked on England starter, he may still be worth more to us than Chelsea.

In any event, I am completely not worried about it -- Chilwell is not as key to our system as some of the others, and I think the club (due to the reasons cited above) will value him higher than what they got for Maguire, although I don't discount the possibility of a pandemic discount.

Funny how the media seem to like to big up these stories just before we are due to play one of their darling "big 6" in a big game. These clubs also seem to have an attitude of entitlement. Man city coming in for Mahrez right at the end of a window which also if memory serves was just a few weeks before we were due to play them, now Chelsea stirring the pot (note nothing coming from them to distance themselves from the stories) to unsettle a player two weeks before we play them in an FA cup QF, and as it stands one of their primary rivals for CL places.

The FA etc should put an embargo on any media speculation outside of transfer windows with big fines for any club/agent/player who can be linked to such stories. I know that the media always use the caveat that the sun/mirror/mail/sky etc "understands" from "a source close to the club" or "a friend of the player" etc etc but surely this type of underhanded tapping up and rumour mongering should be stamped out. If a story is run then rules requiring full disclosure of sources would put a stop to it.

I have no doubt that clubs approach players agents all the time to sound them out, and vice versa, but there is no reason that this cannot be done in private without using the media to stir things up, unsettle players or put pressure on clubs to sell etc.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, urban fox said:

Funny how the media seem to like to big up these stories just before we are due to play one of their darling "big 6" in a big game. These clubs also seem to have an attitude of entitlement. Man city coming in for Mahrez right at the end of a window which also if memory serves was just a few weeks before we were due to play them, now Chelsea stirring the pot (note nothing coming from them to distance themselves from the stories) to unsettle a player two weeks before we play them in an FA cup QF, and as it stands one of their primary rivals for CL places.

The FA etc should put an embargo on any media speculation outside of transfer windows with big fines for any club/agent/player who can be linked to such stories. I know that the media always use the caveat that the sun/mirror/mail/sky etc "understands" from "a source close to the club" or "a friend of the player" etc etc but surely this type of underhanded tapping up and rumour mongering should be stamped out. If a story is run then rules requiring full disclosure of sources would put a stop to it.

I have no doubt that clubs approach players agents all the time to sound them out, and vice versa, but there is no reason that this cannot be done in private without using the media to stir things up, unsettle players or put pressure on clubs to sell etc.

Agree with this, they proven they can do it already, the managers were embargoed on the covid 19 stuff.

All talk of transfer speculation should be embargoed outside of window and there should be no window active during a season.