Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

I think Chillwell has a real lack of footballing intelligence. He doesn't see the pictures on the pitch that the best players see. He's got so much pace and ability to dribble yet he rarely tries to beat a player and pull the ball back. It's probably his greatest ability and he doesn't use it. It's infuriating. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

I think Chillwell has a real lack of footballing intelligence. He doesn't see the pictures on the pitch that the best players see. He's got so much pace and ability to dribble yet he rarely tries to beat a player and pull the ball back. It's probably his greatest ability and he doesn't use it. It's infuriating. 

I think of late, he's trying to beat a man a lot more. Quite successfully. But he hasn't the Fuchs or Guppy wand to capitalise. 

5 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

His lack of confidence/end product in the final third could be to do with our 'fanbase' hounding him at every opportunity :whistle:

That’s ridiculous,

so it’s the fans fault he cannot cross,

maybe if he could actually cross a ball we wouldn’t be discussing this on a forum,

for this he only has himself to blame 

He gets in to fantastic positions time and time again and rarely picks the correct option. He needs to drive into the box and fizz the ball in before defenders get into position. He often slows down and puts a wayward cross into the box it’s frustrating!  

He isn’t  Ricardo he doesn’t have that skill  level, but he isn’t a bad player he has some good qualities.

To be honest our squad has possibly yet to reach its full potential. 

10 hours ago, tetly said:

He gets in to fantastic positions time and time again and rarely picks the correct option. He needs to drive into the box and fizz the ball in before defenders get into position. He often slows down and puts a wayward cross into the box it’s frustrating!  

He isn’t  Ricardo he doesn’t have that skill  level, but he isn’t a bad player he has some good qualities.

To be honest our squad has possibly yet to reach its full potential. 

His erraticness in the final 3rd is every bit as bad as Jeffrey Schlupp's, but to be fair at least Chilwell was never a striker in his early years so its not been his main priority when learning his craft.

I just struggle to believe his end product will improve enough to be considered one of the best left backs in the league and Europe, which is what the media are alluding he is given the prices bandied about. Happily sell, we've often looked more of a cohesive team without him just like we did without Maguire last season when he was unavailable. He is the one asset we could afford to lose and it not make us immediately weaker.

£55m + add ons and i'd have a lockdown party.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

His erraticness in the final 3rd is every bit as bad as Jeffrey Schlupp's, but to be fair at least Chilwell was never a striker in his early years so its not been his main priority when learning his craft.

I just struggle to believe his end product will improve enough to be considered one of the best left backs in the league and Europe, which is what the media are alluding he is given the prices bandied about. Happily sell, we've often looked more of a cohesive team without him just like we did without Maguire last season when he was unavailable. He is the one asset we could afford to lose and it not make us immediately weaker.

£55m + add ons and i'd have a lockdown party.

Well if we didn't replace him we would become immediately weaker. Whenever Fuchs plays you appreciate what Chillwell offers in actually getting us up the field, Fuchs barely crosses the half way line these days.

We could absolutely sign a replacement that would be cheaper and improve the position though.

It's so annoying because he's so close but he has the ball much more in the opponents half and doesn't seem to improving in this area. If I was Rodgers, I'd have him up against a couple of the u23s with the sole aim of bursting past them and putting hard low cross into a dangerous area. He reminds me of Schlupp so much. The amount of time i'm willing him to just knock it past a right back, sprint past him and whip a cross in. It's like he doesn't realise he's rapid.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He is the one asset we could afford to lose and it not make us immediately weaker.

Not sure that's the case is it? That'd only leave us with Fuchs and Justin. Ricardo to come back at some point. You're looking at £20m+ for a replacement who's good enough for to start. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Well if we didn't replace him we would become immediately weaker. Whenever Fuchs plays you appreciate what Chillwell offers in actually getting us up the field, Fuchs barely crosses the half way line these days.

We could absolutely sign a replacement that would be cheaper and improve the position though.

It's so annoying because he's so close but he has the ball much more in the opponents half and doesn't seem to improving in this area. If I was Rodgers, I'd have him up against a couple of the u23s with the sole aim of bursting past them and putting hard low cross into a dangerous area. He reminds me of Schlupp so much. The amount of time i'm willing him to just knock it past a right back, sprint past him and whip a cross in. It's like he doesn't realise he's rapid.

Fuchs or Justin have slotted in perfectly at left back when Chilwell's been out this season and often Barnes has had some of his best displays. As I said, we aren't weaker as an XI with Chilwell out. As a squad we'd obviously look to replace him but you must appreciate what I was saying.

35 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Not sure that's the case is it? That'd only leave us with Fuchs and Justin. Ricardo to come back at some point. You're looking at £20m+ for a replacement who's good enough for to start. 

I meant from an XI point of view, Chilwell going wouldn't make us weaker as Fuchs is reliable and teams up much better with Barnes.

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Fuchs or Justin have slotted in perfectly at left back when Chilwell's been out this season and often Barnes has had some of his best displays. As I said, we aren't weaker as an XI with Chilwell out. As a squad we'd obviously look to replace him but you must appreciate what I was saying.

I meant from an XI point of view, Chilwell going wouldn't make us weaker as Fuchs is reliable and teams up much better with Barnes.

by the way, Christian is another year older. ………..he isn't getting any quicker or fitter …..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

...yes, but we would be replacing him for a lot less than half his price and a better player as well!!!

Chilwell should realise the thought process which led him to shoot, should be the norm.

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Really disagree on the Fuchs thing. If you watch any game back where he has played in place of Chillwell, the ball rarely goes down the left. In terms of defensive shape I don't think much was different. Much like most attacks go down the left now because Ricardo is out, Ricardo took that burden on when Chillwell was out. I'm sure if we dropped Chillwell for the rest of the season and put Fuchs in, you would notice the difference and be begging for Chillwell back.

In terms out output the difference probably isn't much seeing as Chilly doesn't do much in the final 3rd, but I think we're more balanced with Chilly and Ricardo than we are when either Justin/Fuchs come in.

I'm sure heat maps and stats would back me up if I knew how to find them haha

How about we just support him and the others for the rest of the season rather than selling him off already?! Must be so nice to go out onto the pitch and work your socks and some "supporters" are talking and wishing you are sold. Hardly confidence building and supportive. They need the fans behind them at the moment more than ever!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 4everfox said:

I've never once understood the hate Chilwell gets. When was the last time one of our players was first choice for England? He's gotta be the best player to come through our youth team since Heskey at least, maybe even Lineker. He's also only 23. I think that when he's fully developed, he will be unbelievably good, but for now he's only good enough to be England's first choice left back.

Hope he stays

Maguire - so about a year ago? lol 

15 hours ago, 4everfox said:

I've never once understood the hate Chilwell gets. When was the last time one of our players was first choice for England? He's gotta be the best player to come through our youth team since Heskey at least, maybe even Lineker. He's also only 23. I think that when he's fully developed, he will be unbelievably good, but for now he's only good enough to be England's first choice left back.

Hope he stays

Absolutely!

the hate he gets from

a percentage of our fanbase is mind boggling.

yes he has a bad game from time to time. Sometimes he can come in a bit too much, for my liking. Yes at times he makes the wrong pass, but don’t the majority of players? 

His runs down the wing and his crossing at times are fantastic. His energy levels are brilliant, and he keeps on going. he’s popular around the club and an important figurehead despite his age.

Top players on top teams keep on going, it’s a sign that he looks after himself.

The Chelsea defeat last week where he was caught laughing with Barclay, was unfortunate. But some of the hate and abuse again was OTT

• Like 1

Not sure what happened to him yesterday (Palace) he shot down the tunnel at the first drinks break (bad stomach?) and looked out of sorts. I think he lets himself down with his crossing as they often end us going over everyone in the box, also when you look at how good Ricardo is on the other side he must get frustrated watching the best right back in The Premier League... 

36 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

Not sure what happened to him yesterday (Palace) he shot down the tunnel at the first drinks break (bad stomach?) and looked out of sorts. I think he lets himself down with his crossing as they often end us going over everyone in the box, also when you look at how good Ricardo is on the other side he must get frustrated watching the best right back in The Premier League... 

He had an injection in a heel before the game. Running repairs l suppose. Be surprised if he’s fit for Arsenal. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I thought he was excellent yesterday. There's no doubt he is improving his wing play with encouragement from BR.

Funny that when we played to his strength of having the entire wing to himself, he excels, rather than forcing poor link play between him and Barnes 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Funny that when we played to his strength of having the entire wing to himself, he excels, rather than forcing poor link play between him and Barnes 

To be honest I’ve been really impressed with the 3-4-1-2 / 5-3-2 formation in the short time we’ve used it, I think it plays to all our lads strengths.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

To be honest I’ve been really impressed with the 3-4-1-2 / 5-3-2 formation in the short time we’ve used it, I think it plays to all our lads strengths.

We'd almost stopped using it after it went badly vs Villa in the cup. But seems to work well, will be a big test vs Arsenal if its used.

19 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

We'd almost stopped using it after it went badly vs Villa in the cup. But seems to work well, will be a big test vs Arsenal if its used.

That’s the trick though, it’s having the players to mix formations against different teams comfortably. Unfortunately I don’t feel we have the quality of depth to do this. For me we are to predictable in our play.