16 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

To be fair, I think it's a bit of a misnomer that Chelsea had our pants down. Wasn't it the case that N'Golo didn't actually want to join us and so we had to agree to that clause to get him in in the first place? Happy to hold my hands up if wrong. Better to have had him for one season of ultimate glory and lost him for a pittance than not have him at all I suppose.

I think you're right. I don't think signing Kante without the min. release clause was an option. We wouldn't have a PL trophy without him, and he didn't owe us anything. Just glad to have seen such a great player play in our colours for a year. And what a year.

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

To be fair, I think it's a bit of a misnomer that Chelsea had our pants down. Wasn't it the case that N'Golo didn't actually want to join us and so we had to agree to that clause to get him in in the first place? Happy to hold my hands up if wrong. Better to have had him for one season of ultimate glory and lost him for a pittance than not have him at all I suppose.

The  narrative I buy into  was that he wanted to join Marseille, rather than an unknown team in the English Midlands in a language he couldn't speak. 

Money talked. Particularly to his brothers, who I believe we're his 'advisors' 

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I hope this does turn out like the Maguire sale. It does seem eerily similar so far.

I am a little bit concerned that we do have a bit more need to sell this time, though. I think we will have to expand the squad a bit to cope with the extra fixtures crammed into a shorter season, and I think selling Chilwell is almost certainly key to raising the necessary funds.

So, we have to act like we don't need to sell to get the right fee, but we need to not push our luck so much that we miss out on clinching the deal.

Would be great if we have Chelsea's kecks down and get another record amount. I thought we might get around £60m tops.

If we'd made the CL we absolutely would not have had to sell. I still feel we can keep him and I think it would make an even bigger statement to do so as if we sold him for a world record fee. 

1 minute ago, Bert said:

£90m. And we’ll want a lot of it if not all of it up front. Couple of add-ons. I can’t see them paying it for him this summer especially with what they’ve already spent. 

Wow. 

17 minutes ago, Bert said:

£90m. And we’ll want a lot of it if not all of it up front. Couple of add-ons. I can’t see them paying it for him this summer especially with what they’ve already spent. 

We're so much better at selling players than we used to be.

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, Bert said:

He’s staying then and we’ll need to find a different way of finding our transfer window!

Surely Chelsea won’t pay that!

9 minutes ago, Nick said:

He’s staying then and we’ll need to find a different way of finding our transfer window!

Why will we? People go on like we’ve not got a pot to piss in. There’s funds for transfers with or without player sales. 

5 minutes ago, Nick said:

Chelsea still need to be punished for being able to get Kante from us so cheap. It wasn't their fault as we had a release clause which they paid well over anyway, plus we ripped them off with Drinkwater. So £90m for Chilwell will have to do. 

2 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Chillwell used to be good going forward... but now he puts it on the deck and assesses the situation..... awful.   Both Thomas and justin are positive going forward.  Thomas puts in very good crosses... justin is positive going forward. Both are great... i fear chilly has turnout of steam. We should cash out.

This is an interesting point you raise. JJ and Thomas are currently confident and play without fear. Would more time under Brendan actually make them worse players and stop their natural good game?

Most of the team got worse as the season went on.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Would anyone take a straight swap Chilwell for Kante?

Nope .......NG 2020/21 won’t be the NG we saw 2016-2019.   Wilf is  improving and there are seven years between them ......

Edited by st albans fox
6 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Would anyone take a straight swap Chilwell for Kante?

A world class DM for an average LB? Yeah think id be quite happy with that tbh if Frank Lampard ever lost his marbles to sanction that! 😂

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Chelsea still need to be punished for being able to get Kante from us so cheap. It wasn't their fault as we had a release clause which they paid well over anyway, plus we ripped them off with Drinkwater. So £90m for Chilwell will have to do. 

I disagree re Drinkwater. They value they got for that £30m was awful but it was their fault he wasn't a success there, it wasn't that he was a bad footballer who wasn't worth it.

Similar to Slimani here really. Clearly there is a player there who was worth £20m odd at least, it just didn't work here. That was our fault - it just wasn't the transfer we needed at the time.

• Like 2
On 28/07/2020 at 22:45, Leicester_Loyal said:

There's no way they'll pay the fee IMO, especially if they're buying a new keeper. 4 years left on his contract, I think he'll stay another year then go next summer.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

I said last week I didn't think they'd pay it this summer, and that was 60-65m, if we want 90 then there's no chance surely?!

28 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

This is an interesting point you raise. JJ and Thomas are currently confident and play without fear. Would more time under Brendan actually make them worse players and stop their natural good game?

Most of the team got worse as the season went on.

It's a problem of hectoring players so they question themselves.   A good coach revises the automatic responses/inclinations of the players.  In a game situation they cant be thinking everything thru.  I am sure Rodgers would know this.  Imo chillwell got worse since his England call up.... this could be caused by him being more wary of mistakes... or something southgate did!

Guest An Sionnach
5 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

It's a problem of hectoring players so they question themselves.   A good coach revises the automatic responses/inclinations of the players.  In a game situation they cant be thinking everything thru.  I am sure Rodgers would know this.  Imo chillwell got worse since his England call up.... this could be caused by him being more wary of mistakes... or something southgate did!

With the exception of goalkeepers all Leicester players get worse after England call ups  , or like Lineker they have to leave. Jamie retired quickly which enabled him to recover. It is some form of curse.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Why will we? People go on like we’ve not got a pot to piss in. There’s funds for transfers with or without player sales. 

Not saying that at all.

Was simply thinking if we need 4/5 players it may be in the region of 100 million... I did wonder if a proportion may come from a sale.