Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

1 minute ago, Heymister2015 said:

Blimey! If we only make 3 signings! We’ll be in trouble 

I'm not so sure. Striker. Wide player. Versatile centre back. If they're all high quality that gives us quite a bit of depth. It's the quality that matters. Are they good enough to compete for the first team. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Heymister2015 said:

Blimey! If we only make 3 signings! We’ll be in trouble 

Why would we? We sat top 3 with our squad for the majority of the season. The squad is fine and 3 players would be fine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heymister2015 said:

With Europe we’ll be leggy! CB/DM/two wingers and a striker required! 

Can’t see us signing any CM’s. 

Wilf

Tielemans 

Hamza

Mendy (Should sign a new contract) 

Praet

Maddison

James

Dewsbury-Hall

Certainly other areas have a bigger priority. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Bert said:

Wilf

Tielemans 

Hamza

Praet

Maddison

James

Dewsbury-Hall

Knight as well unless you mean we’re likely to not let dewsbury-hall out on loan

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Wilf

Tielemans 

Hamza

Praet

Maddison

James

Dewsbury-Hall

Mendy, James, D-H and arguably Hamza should be nowhere near an aspiring CL sides matchday squad - IMO we need another combative CM who is proven at this level. Hamza needs a loan to another Prem side - Someone like Brighton would be ideal. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, eddylcfc said:

Mendy, James, D-H and arguably Hamza should be nowhere near an aspiring CL sides matchday squad - IMO we need another combative CM who is proven at this level. Hamza needs a loan to another Prem side - Someone like Brighton would be ideal. 

Not sure he'd get much game time there tbh

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

The only possible flop there is Benkovic and tbf he doesn't seem terrible, just made of glass. 

Definitely think he will come good if we can get him stronger, another full season in the Championship wouldn't be the worst idea!

Bristol City fans are fuming at how good he was in the Hull, Boro and Stoke games where he played the full 90, given Lee Johnson hardly had him on the pitch!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Agree with all of this except the last line. We've signed Evans, Cags, Benkovic, Ricardo and Justin over the last couple years. I don't think we have any problem signing defenders, we might not be as good at signing wingers and forwards but clearly someone's got an eye for a defensive player.

The only possible flop there is Benkovic and tbf he doesn't seem terrible, just made of glass. 

But agree regards Chilwell. I'm happy if he stays as long as we're still able to make some signings but if he leaves and the stories about him being "the most expensive defender ever" are even vaguely accurate then I'll be delighted. We all should be. 

That's before we had the manger and Congerton, he's thrown hissy fits elsewhere when his other clubs bought players for him. He's a manager who wants who he wants, scouting be damned at times. That's my worry. Are we strong enough to say NO, we follow our blueprint as a club.

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Agree with all of this except the last line. We've signed Evans, Cags, Benkovic, Ricardo and Justin over the last couple years. I don't think we have any problem signing defenders, we might not be as good at signing wingers and forwards but clearly someone's got an eye for a defensive player.

But agree regards Chilwell. I'm happy if he stays as long as we're still able to make some signings but if he leaves and the stories about him being "the most expensive defender ever" are even vaguely accurate then I'll be delighted. We all should be. 

I agree that our recent track record of signing defenders is excellent, I'd have relative confidence that we could sign someone 99% as good as Chilwell and make a profit from the process if he were to go. 

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

That's before we had the manger and Congerton, he's thrown hissy fits elsewhere when his other clubs bought players for him. He's a manager who wants who he wants, scouting be damned at times. That's my worry. Are we strong enough to say NO, we follow our blueprint as a club.

Tbf, his previous clubs didn't have Jon Rudkin. None of us really know all that much about the inner workings of the recruitment team, we all like to project blame and accusations where we assume it belongs. Rudkin has been a figure of derision here and maybe rightly so but, equally, was it not widely repeated over the years that he clashed with Pearson because of how much control he had? 

Rudkin is still here and Pearson isn't. He's the director of football and he's been the one constant here through the regimes that signed Vardy, Mahrez, Ndidi, Ricardo, Tielemans, Maddison, Justin, etc. 

My biggest fear with Congerton was/is this profile of a "Congerton player", some 25-27 year old former Football Manager wonderkid, formerly a big "potential" name, still with a bit of reputation in tact, buttsliding backwards in their career, value constantly depreciating, handed a big contract to attract them to the club, doomed to be sold for less than bought for or run contract out unwanted. 

Fabio Borini, Jack Rodwell, Jeremain Lens, these guys are the absolute Congerton archetype in my head. 

But our club clearly has a policy of (Ghezzal aside) dodging those bullets, we've clearly got a policy of signing young players we can up-sell to build transfer revenue and that's got to be being overseen by Rudkin surely, whether by Vichai/Top's instruction or not. 

Under that remit, Congerton signed Ntcham and Edouard for Celtic and @Muzzy_Larsson would have to do some intense mental gymnastics to try and downplay those signings just to stick it to Congerton.

(Although side note, he did take Jonny Hayes to Celtic.)

So really, eh, who knows? I was one of the most reactionary when Congerton turned up but if the last five or six years have taught us anything it probably has to be that a club's recruitment team is never just about the one guy you've actually heard of. 

6 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I agree that our recent track record of signing defenders is excellent, I'd have relative confidence that we could sign someone 99% as good as Chilwell and make a profit from the process if he were to go. 

Almost certainly. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Tbf, his previous clubs didn't have Jon Rudkin. None of us really know all that much about the inner workings of the recruitment team, we all like to project blame and accusations where we assume it belongs. Rudkin has been a figure of derision here and maybe rightly so but, equally, was it not widely repeated over the years that he clashed with Pearson because of how much control he had? 

Rudkin is still here and Pearson isn't. He's the director of football and he's been the one constant here through the regimes that signed Vardy, Mahrez, Ndidi, Ricardo, Tielemans, Maddison, Justin, etc. 

My biggest fear with Congerton was/is this profile of a "Congerton player", some 25-27 year old former Football Manager wonderkid, formerly a big "potential" name, still with a bit of reputation in tact, buttsliding backwards in their career, value constantly depreciating, handed a big contract to attract them to the club, doomed to be sold for less than bought for or run contract out unwanted. 

Fabio Borini, Jack Rodwell, Jeremain Lens, these guys are the absolute Congerton archetype in my head. 

But our club clearly has a policy of (Ghezzal aside) dodging those bullets, we've clearly got a policy of signing young players we can up-sell to build transfer revenue and that's got to be being overseen by Rudkin surely, whether by Vichai/Top's instruction or not. 

Under that remit, Congerton signed Ntcham and Edouard for Celtic and @Muzzy_Larsson would have to do some intense mental gymnastics to try and downplay those signings just to stick it to Congerton.

So really, eh, who knows? I was one of the most reactionary when Congerton turned up but if the last five or six years have taught us anything it probably has to be that a club's recruitment team is never just about the one guy you've actually heard of. 

Almost certainly. 

Let's be clear here, I think Congerton is a charlatan but I'm not discrediting him from those two signings just because of that. Ntcham and Edouard came from Man City and PSG, two clubs we've had a long standing relationship with before and after Congerton arrived. Both were most definitely not Congerton signings as when we got both Rodgers went on record to highlight Lawell's relationship with both clubs, in the case of Ntcham also he said we'd been trying to sign him since he walked in the door, prior to Congerton's arrival. Not to be pedantic lol but Hayes wasn't down to him either, Rodgers had worked with Hayes previously at Reading and was public about how he wanted him brought in as he felt any time we played Aberdeen he viewed him as a threat.

I've said it many times but he was a disaster at Celtic as he had a lot of control via his proxy Rodgers, hopefully he's marginalised at Leicester within the recruitment structure where he has much less influence.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Almost certainly. 

Nobody knows yet, which is why I was posing the question more than making a statement. My fears about him are the same as yours, but also we've done so well with how we're done business in the past, that the club would be foolish to not stick strongly to that. 

1 hour ago, eddylcfc said:

Regardless of what you think (it’s a fair shout) they’ll be used as cover for most Europa league games etc. 

12 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

If that last bit is true, why are teams going for Chilwell and not them? Think we will miss him when he is gone far more than we think. 

Young and English and capped, and they have to have a percentage of home grown for champions league I believe.

Premier league clubs go mad for young English players, and most are shite, but hyped up and over rated because they are English 

Why did Man U pay over 80 mil for maguire, is he better than soyuncu, in my opinion he’s older than soyuncu, and is definitely not better than him, I personally think by the time soyuncu is maguire’s age he will be twice the player.

If Man U came in for soyuncu at the time they did for maguire, they could have got him for about 30 mil, and saved 50 mil, it’s not like soyuncu wasn’t an international, with a good reputation and highly rated, that’s why we brought him.

4 hours ago, Lesta Legend said:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1318505/Chelsea-News-Sergio-Reguilon-Transfer-Real-Madrid-Marina-Granovskaia-Rumours-Gossip

Chelsea in advanced talks with Real Madrid Left Back, could be a move to force Leicester's hand. Hoping that we aren't relying on Chilwell sale funds to fund our own plans.

So in 24 hours Chelsea have put 5 defenders up for sale , formally opened negotiations for the purchase of Chilly , been knocked back, considered the feck off price set by the club for any deal , decided it was too much , set in motion an alternative target and are in advanced talks already and close to a deal - a distillation of the papers stories this week !

• Like 3