Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Who do you want Summer 2020

Rodgers recruited Milner and kept Henderson so I'd imagine he sees the problem. If we can hold onto our players we have one hell of a midfield in the making.

2 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Julien - massive success last season and actually played games for us. He had a ropey game at the weekend but one bad game doesn't change the fact he's been a great signing for us overall.

That one signing, already makes him more successful than Congerton ever was given virtually everyone he had a hand in signing barely started ten games for us, some not at all.

I'll not bother listing the others as the above alone illustrates my point in that he's already performed better than the charlatan, irrespective of how he performs long term.

We had two players leave this month, that started less than ten games combined for us in Bayo and Kouassi, one was here three years, the other 18 months, costing a combined £6m+ (relatively a lot of money for us) that Congerton was 'instrumental' in signing. I could mention the rest of the motley crew he brought in like Compper, Hendry, etc but I really can't be bothered and it just makes me more annoyed.

Congerton/Rdogers were given more money net than any pair in our history and had a wage bill that was miles greater than at any time in our history, including now.

...I watched the highlights of the game with Killie!!!

Julien looked so out of his depth. He made about 3 mistakes in that pattern of play leading to the penalty. Dropping off the ball carrier, not letting his defender deal with the attacker and being beaten on the goal line when their was no space and attempting to wrestle the opponent when he went by him.

If you had not said it, I would not have believed he was a good player for your team.

He seemed an absolute nightmare!!

Edited by sacreblueits442

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Julien looked so out of his depth. He made about 3 mistakes in that pattern of play leading to the penalty. Dropping off the ball carrier, not letting his defender deal with the attacker and being beaten on the goal line when their was no space and attempting to wrestle the opponent when he went by him.

If you had not said it, I would not have believed he was a good player for your team.

Yeah like I said he was poor on Sunday, you can't judge any player on one game though. He was superb all of last season, dominant in both boxes and really looked the part for us in Europe in big games against good opposition like Lazio/Immobile in particular.

2 hours ago, AjcW said:

Fair enough, was genuinely interested to get your opinion.

I guess given the season curtailing you wont really know the successes until the end of this season.

I can't help but think the furore built up around Congerton by Celtic fans means you'll never be able to look back and rethink, or even compare his signings to new DOF signings... feel like it's just so hysterical that some of you will never have another opinion?

Understand you only wanting to look at 1 success, but there's a couple of £3m pound plus signings in there that have hardly kicked a ball (one hasn't at all!) so it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Your comment on wage budget is interesting because it isn't often considered, so i'll take that on board... but...

If you look at last season £20m was spent.

If we take Edouard out of the equation, because you guys are adamant Rodgers and Congerton had nothing to do with that signing, they spent a combined £11m in the time Congerton was there... even with Edouard it's still only equal to your spending last season.

As i've referenced before, what can you actually do with next to no money in a league that not many people want to come to? Same with Sunderland, he had little control and was trying to attract players to a sinking ship.

Also the Kouassi thing, said that went through Jan 17, I thought Congerton didn't join until March that year?

I'll judge him on the signings here and not on the past, if you're shopping in the bargain bin you're always going to pull out a few duffers. 

You can spin it however you like but Congerton is a disaster and he has been an absolute disaster everywhere he's been, everywhere, there are no exceptions. It's telling he only gets jobs via the coat tails of Rodgers now. Like I've said before hopefully he'll have far less influence at Leicester and hopefully can't do much damage

We've had several heads of recruitment over the years with varying degrees of success, Congerton has been undoubtedly the absolute worst of the lot. I don't buy the fact he shops in a poorer market, it's all relative and never inhibited guys like John Park doing a good job at Celtic. I'd argue it's even easier at Celtic as we play in a poor league and have 100x times greater budget than the other clubs so it should be easier to find players to do well domestically at least, Congerton couldn't even find us players who could look decent domestically. You could put Congerton in at Real Madrid, give him a degree of control, a blank cheque and he'd still make an absolute arse of it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

You can spin it however you like but Congerton is a disaster and he has been an absolute disaster everywhere he's been, everywhere, there are no exceptions. It's telling he only gets jobs via the coat tails of Rodgers now. Like I've said before hopefully he'll have far less influence at Leicester and hopefully can't do much damage

We've had several heads of recruitment over the years with varying degrees of success, Congerton has been undoubtedly the absolute worst of the lot. I don't buy the fact he shops in a poorer market, it's all relative and never inhibited guys like John Park doing a good job at Celtic. I'd argue it's even easier at Celtic as we play in a poor league and have 100x times greater budget than the other clubs so it should be easier to find players to do well domestically at least, Congerton couldn't even find us players who could look decent domestically. You could put Congerton in at Real Madrid, give him a degree of control, a blank cheque and he'd still make an absolute arse of it.

Definitely not trying to spin it, just throwing some bits back at you to check the facts. You listed two players he was 'instrumental in signing' one of which he didn't sign and the other has hardly had a look in (started a single league game), so you could argue that one is just Lennon not wanting him, rather than it being an abject failure of a signing who has had a fair chance. Given that Rodgers left a couple of weeks after signing him.

We shall see anyway, just keen to get a gauge on things on a more evidence based level. Like I said I think it's too far gone with Celtic fans and you'll always hate him. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Definitely not trying to spin it, just throwing some bits back at you to check the facts. You listed two players he was 'instrumental in signing' one of which he didn't sign and the other has hardly had a look in (started a single league game), so you could argue that one is just Lennon not wanting him, rather than it being an abject failure of a signing who has had a fair chance. Given that Rodgers left a couple of weeks after signing him.

We shall see anyway, just keen to get a gauge on things on a more evidence based level. Like I said I think it's too far gone with Celtic fans and you'll always hate him. 

Yeah wasn't being confrontational, there were others that he brought in that even Rodgers didn't play, Compper the most high profile, was at the club for 18 months, on 30k a week reportedly and only ever played 40 minutes of a cup tie against a third tier side.  The player in question Congerton has signed more than once at different clubs also by all accounts. Anyway, like I've said the key thing will hopefully be at Leicester that he won't have much influence.

The Kouassi one I think Congerton was working in an unofficial capacity then as there was a quote when he signed Rodgers made about "Lee passed me a video of him and I knew after about ten seconds that he was a player, couldn't find it there but will try and dig it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

I think he definitely will eventually.

But i'm scratching my head thinking of someone who could make a similar impact to cambiasso.

I think there's a general lack of it throughout the Premier League to be honest, Spurs are another side crying out for it and Arsenal.

Jordan Henderson is the only person I can think of really, a leader and a general in the midfield.

I think it goes to show that pure skill is prioritised over character nowadays, 

I'd throw James Milner onto the list too in terms of influence.... greedy liverpool :p 

Not sure how it would work given his age, never played outside Spain or Argentina and it's a moot point anyway as he's off to the middle east but Ever Banega is maybe the closest in terms of style on the block at the moment. As another poster said these types of midfielders are a bit of a dying breed nowadays.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

What sort of money would Aaron Ramsey be on Juventus? Apparently Pirlo has told him he's not in his plans.

Anybody think he'd be a decent signing? 

If Aaron Ramsey stays at Juventus the full duration of his contract, he will have made something like £72 million (including signing on bonus).

9 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

I guess watching any side in the world for one game you could say that about any player if you catch them on an off day. You need to watch a player a bit more to have an informed opinion. Chilwell would be a great example from this season, had some horror shows but if you watched him over any considerable length of time you'd realise he's a quality player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Doucoure

Josh King

Trincao

Depay

Aouar - bold move but Lyon need cash

Thuram

new GK
Jovic - loan 

All of these would improve the 11. We need to buy players to improve the starting 11 and not squad fillers. We’ve been linked to lots of squad fillers and it’s a sure way to ensure you’re in a reaction scrap. Spend money on areas we need investing and the player whose place has been taken fills the squad out. I.e Perez, Iheanacho

Just now, frany104 said:

Doucoure

Josh King

Trincao

Depay

Thuram

new GK
Jovic - loan 

All of these would improve the 11. We need to buy players to improve the starting 11 and not squad fillers. We’ve been linked to lots of squad fillers and it’s a sure way to ensure you’re in a reaction scrap. Spend money on areas we need investing and the player whose place has been taken fills the squad out. I.e Perez, Iheanacho

Are you expecting all of these targets or 1 from each position? 

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Are you expecting all of these targets or 1 from each position? 

Haha. No, they are just suggestions. All of them would probably cost £200 million! It’s just the quality of player I’d like to see us go after. One or two quality signings is better than 4 to 5 squad fillers in my opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, frany104 said:

Haha. No, they are just suggestions. All of them would probably cost £200 million! It’s just the quality of player I’d like to see us go after. One or two quality signings is better than 4 to 5 squad fillers in my opinion.

I really want us to get Jovic. If we have to juggle a few things this summer, targeting talented players who have flopped at big clubs and therefore available for loan is perhaps a route to pursue for one or two signings. We have this happen to our expensive flops!!

• Like 2

09:54

WATFORD WANT £30M FOR SARR

Watford have told Crystal Palace they will not take a loss on £30m record signing Ismaila Sarr, according to The Sun.

The newspaper reports that Roy Hodgson would like Sarr to replace Wilfried Zaha - who is pushing for his own move away - but despite Watford's relegation, they are refusing to budge from their valuation, which is the same price they paid for Sarr when he joined from Rennes last summer.

We should be all over this.

1 minute ago, FoxinNotts said:

09:54

WATFORD WANT £30M FOR SARR

Watford have told Crystal Palace they will not take a loss on £30m record signing Ismaila Sarr, according to The Sun.

The newspaper reports that Roy Hodgson would like Sarr to replace Wilfried Zaha - who is pushing for his own move away - but despite Watford's relegation, they are refusing to budge from their valuation, which is the same price they paid for Sarr when he joined from Rennes last summer.

We should be all over this.

I'm not 100% convinced on him...I think there's a great player with the right coaching though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I really want us to get Jovic. If we have to juggle a few things this summer, targeting talented players who have flopped at big clubs and therefore available for loan is perhaps a route to pursue for one or two signings. We have this happen to our expensive flops!!

Yeah agreed. Vardy and Jovic would be a real handful. Loan and option to buy would be the way to go. Like you say there is quite a few players around who have flopped at big clubs we could look at picking up and revitalising their careers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frany104 said:

Doucoure

Josh King

Trincao

Depay

Thuram

new GK
Jovic - loan 

Aouar would never come to us, also josh king and doucoure dont really fit on that list.