Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Who do you want Summer 2020

Looking at the money some clubs are after for their players it wouldn’t surprise me if the majority of our signings are from abroad.

Sarr,Brooks, Lewis, Ake (already gone) are being touted for huge money and all from relegated clubs.

Our best bet is to unearth some gems or hope that Rudders plays a blinder 

16 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Updated, extremely realistic wishlist:

Out: £102 million

Chilwell £70 million

Gray £15 million

Slimani £9 million

Ghezzal £8 million

In: £106 million

White £40 million

Edouard £30 million

Tsimakas £19 million

Eze £17 million

Trincao loan

As wish lists go, I like it. Mine was similar but had us keeping Chilwell & selling Iheanacho (and losing Silva, Diabate, Amartey, King & James). Demiral at CB. Zaha as second AW, net spend c£50m.

But a budget window could still work. Keep Chilwell, Iheanacho & Gray, sell/lose the others mentioned, raising c£16m.

Add M Sarr (free) Buendia (season loan c.3m) Trincao (season loan c£7m), Jovic (season loan c£6m). Net spend zero, wage bill reduced, go again when finances permit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

As wish lists go, I like it. Mine was similar but had us keeping Chilwell & selling Iheanacho (and losing Silva, Diabate, Amartey, King & James). Demiral at CB. Zaha as second AW, net spend c£50m.

But a budget window could still work. Keep Chilwell, Iheanacho & Gray, sell/lose the others mentioned, raising c£16m.

Add M Sarr (free) Buendia (season loan c.3m) Trincao (season loan c£7m), Jovic (season loan c£6m). Net spend zero, wage bill reduced, go again when finances permit.

My preference lies in the middle of those two options. 

Go cheap with squad improvements of Malang Sarr and Ryan Fraser. Spend big on a striker like Edouard for £30m and either get Trincao on loan to start on the RW or spend like £25m on Brooks. 

No major departures, try and move on Slimani,Silva, Diabate, Ghezzal, Amartey, Albrighton. Hopefully get as close to £25m as we can for that lot and it leaves us with a £30m net spend and not much of a change in wages. 

• Like 1

I'll give mine but only with players linked:

Out

Chilwell £60m

Gray £15m

Iheanacho £20m

In

Telles £25m

Edouard £30m

Brooks £25m

Demiral £35m

£20m net spend minus whatever can be got for Slimani, Silva, Diabate, James and Amartey. If we get Trincao on loan then that as well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IsItMuzzy said:

Wouldn't mind Maitland-Niles from Arsenal. Been placed on the transfer list to raise funds. Good cover in a number of positions. 

I wouldn't be against it, but they are asking stupid money for him, £30m. He's worth £15m tops.

17 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Updated, extremely realistic wishlist:

Out: £102 million

Chilwell £70 million

Gray £15 million

Slimani £9 million

Ghezzal £8 million

In: £106 million

White £40 million

Edouard £30 million

Tsimakas £19 million

Eze £17 million

Trincao 

These lists are great and I know there's plenty of time left in the window but I'm worried.  Just get the feeling we'll be lucky if we get 3 new signings.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I'll give mine but only with players linked:

Out

Chilwell £60m

Gray £15m

Iheanacho £20m

In

Telles £25m

Edouard £30m

Brooks £25m

Demiral £35m

£20m net spend minus whatever can be got for Slimani, Silva, Diabate, James and Amartey. If we get Trincao on loan then that as well. 

Demiral would be a dream signing but De Ligt is injured until November. Can’t see him moving anywhere unless Juve sign a CB

On 08/08/2020 at 16:14, jeffschlupp said:

'Ridiculous money' lemons...

You know like 'cost a f***ing fortune' Ulloa, the player with the biggest bollocks in the club's history.

Or our current record signing Tielemans who at 22 years of age looks a superb talent and is for me our best creative asset by far - we got him for a steal at £32m.

Or £25m Iheanacho, who struggled to contribute early on in his career here but has become arguably the most effective second choice striker in the division.

Or maybe <£30m Perez, who despite his critics had a good season in front of goal and will get better.

Or maybe you mean £25m for Maddison, or £20m for Ricardo, or £19m for Söyüncü, who would command fees of at least £200m combined now.

Or are you thinking of £17m Maguire, that overpriced defender from a relegated side?

The only 'expensive' flops we have signed are Slimani and Silva, and even Islam contributed significantly in the Champions League and has proven to be a good player elsewhere. Silva was always going to struggle given he had 6 months of his career robbed from him by FIFA.

Our transfer business, pound for pound, is probably the second best in the country in the last 5 years behind Liverpool. Why anyone continues to doubt the club's recruitment is beyond me, particularly when the poor 2016 summer was caused by two blokes that couldn't agree on anything, one of which left for Everton and the other was shown the door for losing the plot 6 months later.

We have done some great business but I can't agree with everything you say.

Iheanacho signed for £25m in 2017, given transfer inflation, I dread to think what that was relatively speaking back then.  Add on his big wages and he is yet to justify that fee after 3 years.

Perez has been a big disappointment for me.  After signing Ghezzal we will have to try a third time to get a decent RW/inside forward from a position of minus £40m and before anybody says he isn't a winger, he was signed for that position, Rodgers said so directly.

Just look at the players we are linked with - forwards and RW.  The club knows that they are not up to scratch.

We have signed great players for good money, more hits than misses, but lets not pretend that we haven't blown a fortune on Musa, Ghezzal, Iheanacho, Silva, Perez, Slim, Kapusta, Jakupovic and overpaid for Ward....

Really you can add Mendy and Amartey to that list as players that are by no means terrible but not what we had hoped for.  

I suppose that every club has hits and misses but your assessment just isn't balanced.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

I think the budget window is interesting, although doubt Norwich would loan us Buendia.

1 hour ago, dnewty said:

These lists are great and I know there's plenty of time left in the window but I'm worried.  Just get the feeling we'll be lucky if we get 3 new signings.

The lists are wishful thinking, undoubtedly our actual list of signings will be different to what everyone has been thinking of.

12 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

The lists are wishful thinking, undoubtedly our actual list of signings will be different to what everyone has been thinking of.

Have a feeling the lists wont even be close, that's the problem. They've got to get a central defender, winger, and a striker minimum.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, murphy said:

We have done some great business but I can't agree with everything you say.

Iheanacho signed for £25m in 2017, given transfer inflation, I dread to think what that was relatively speaking back then.  Add on his big wages and he is yet to justify that fee after 3 years.

Perez has been a big disappointment for me.  After signing Ghezzal we will have to try a third time to get a decent RW/inside forward from a position of minus £40m and before anybody says he isn't a winger, he was signed for that position, Rodgers said so directly.

Just look at the players we are linked with - forwards and RW.  The club knows that they are not up to scratch.

We have signed great players for good money, more hits than misses, but lets not pretend that we haven't blown a fortune on Musa, Ghezzal, Iheanacho, Silva, Perez, Slim, Kapusta, Jakupovic and overpaid for Ward....

Really you can add Mendy and Amartey to that list as players that are by no means terrible but not what we had hoped for.  

I suppose that every club has hits and misses but your assessment just isn't balanced.

By expensive players, I'm mostly talking players that cost us £15m or more. In the market of the last 5 years, a player sold for less than that is not a big outlay for a PL side with hundreds of millions in revenue.

Mendy for £13m has done a job. Amartey was only a few million and again has contributed. I don't believe either player was signed to play regularly - Mendy was not the Kanté replacement given they are two completely different styles of player and ideally they'd have partnered Silva with Drinkwater in 2016 had Sporting not raised the price at the last minute.

You can add Ward to the list of cover players who are more than adequate. £12.5m is a lot of money but the club has been stung with shite backup keepers before (Hamer, less so Schwarzer) and Ward has been good every time I've seen him. If the money is there why not spend it?

Has Iheanacho justified his fee? Probably not, but he was used at no.10 in a Puel team starved of creativity, then struggled for confidence when backup to Vardy. But Rodgers has got it out of him, and I think he is a great all round centre forward. 

Perez I agree has not set the world on fire but a Rodgers team at its best does not have quality individuals in terms of numbers, it's about system players. Perez is the best player in the press we have, and will hopefully have a better time next season in front of goal. We do need a slightly more creative wide player but Perez will have a big role to play I am sure.

Ghezzal was booed by our fans for no reason other than they didn't like the manager who signed him. He was no worse than any of our other wingers last season, and played well against Burnley at no.10 in particular. Puel felt Maddison would give enough creativity to replace Riyad (and he didn't do badly), and then wanted to give Gray the chance out wide more often. He was an unfortunate scapegoat for the Puel haters just like Mendy.

I won't argue with Musa, Kapustka, Slimani, Hernandez or Zieler, because they were all mostly shit. Walsh liked Musa and Slimani but not at that price, but from what we hear Ranieri was insistent otherwise. The club lost the plot that summer in a whirlwind of big fish, small pond syndrome and they learned from it once Walsh and Ranieri departed.

The club's recruitment is generally excellent, because it has built upon the good work of the people that were there before like Walsh, Wrigglesworth and MacKenzie. They do things carefully and cautiously behind the scenes; track players for a long time and in-depth, and often do well. You only have to look at the success rate at other 'mid-level' PL clubs to know that we are superb in this regard - Vallejo, Cutrone at Wolves last summer, Everton's signings, West Ham - all poor.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I think the budget window is interesting, although doubt Norwich would loan us Buendia.

We ‘borrowed’ Marcus Bent from Ipswich in similar circumstances. Norwich might prefer to park his wages rather than lose him, & take him back IF they get promotion straight away; if they don’t we could buy at a discount. A thought...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Not sure if it's just because of how last season ended but I can't get excited about any names being spoken about at the moment

Agree..

Those games post lockdown were pretty horrific viewing to say the least!

Blowing CL football we had nailed on in early March has just taken the shine off everything for me!....

Criminal really.

• Like 2

I just hope the club’s first new signing is’nt as underwhelming as the Bennet deal. I’m gonna stop reading all the gossip pages as it only heightens the expectations. Atleast this way when the club do announce I’ll get excited again. The signing of Ricardo, Tillemans and Soyunku were great at the time and have proven to be priceless. I’ll be satisfied with a few more of those kind please :fc:

• Like 1

Realistically I am not sure any longer who I would like to see us bring in. There does not seem to be anyone available that would nailed on improve what we have from PL and do not really know enough about most of those being touted from overseas. Lots of people getting excited about rumours regarding the likes of Sarr from Watford or the Brentford lad but in all reality would they be that much of an improvement? 

I have come to the conclusion like @cruzFOX that it is best to avoid all the speculation and just let the club get on with it. We will find out when it happens and hopefully we will announce a gem or two from left field.

We cannot compete with most of the big clubs on fees or wages so no point getting all worked up over names that we know they will also be interested in. If those clubs are not interested then will they be good enough for our ambitions? I suspect we will bring in someone under the radar as we usually do

• Like 1

Just now, Farrington fox said:

Absolutely no firm evidence yet of any incomings. What is going on, or should that be, isn't.  Pull your finger out Brenda, I don't want a last minute scramble, as there has been so often in the past.

Not for the first time, if it's going on we're unlikely to know about it. And I doubt Brendan (for that is his name) is at the forefront of negotiations either.

45 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Absolutely no firm evidence yet of any incomings. What is going on, or should that be, isn't.  Pull your finger out Brenda, I don't want a last minute scramble, as there has been so often in the past.

I'd expect things to start happening next week, hopefully Rodgers and Rudkin have been and had a proper few weeks break and come back mentally ready for this new season. We are in a slump and they are as pivotal to turning this around as the players. 

My prediction is our first signing within 2 weeks.