Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CloudFox

Wesley Fofana

Just now, Finnegan said:

He'll have played some part in all of them, I'm not suggesting the manager doesn't have a voice. 

Just that people are so overly fixated on putting responsibility for signings on managers like it's 1970 and Clough and Taylor are driving round the country tapping up old Scotsmen. 

Oh, on that I am in total agreement. :thumbup:

Managers don`t scout, negotiate or sign players - its not a hard concept!

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

He'll have played some part in all of them, I'm not suggesting the manager doesn't have a voice. 

Just that people are so overly fixated on putting responsibility for signings on managers like it's 1970 and Clough and Taylor are driving round the country tapping up old Scotsmen.

Even the media do it. All those annoying click bait articles are about managers. Mourinho is selling Alli, Pep sold Sane, Klopp bought Jota. Then people actually hold them accountable for the success and failure of those signings as if the transfer dealings of the club are uniquely down to one dictator. 

And this is especially true for our club. We have a whole process of  recruitment with statistical analysis / scouting and we’re all aware of the important role Steve Walsh played while he was here, Pearson trusted this process, our recruitment process has been a major part of our success. We wouldn’t have got Kante if wasn’t for Walsh with the system he developed. Ranieri insisted on Mendy - while the player that had gone through this process was Kante. Some players I believe are recommended by the managers but this isn’t always clear. Ricardo I think may have been one, Diabate was deffo one.

Credit should be given where due but football managers are more akin to coaches. I’m sure a manager may have the ability to make the final decision based on the evidence and congerton will play a big part too. 

With our DOF doing a large part of the work to then get the player. Rudkin is becoming a very good DOF. 

34 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

CB and striker over wingbacks as I feel the rotation of JJ & Castagne will suffice with Fuchs as back up. 

As for Gray id just run the last year of his contract out. We need him for cup games and for back up if/when we get injured so as to free the better squad players to focus on the Prem/EL. 

I'd guess that Birmingham might be disappointed with that as I think there's a sell on clause involved. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lanefox said:

Not really justin, castagne, thomas and ricky p can play lb, all our full backs minus thomas are versatile 

Justin looked dodgy defensively yesterday, Castagne can play there but is more suited to rb and Thomas needs to be loaned out for experience. We dont have an experienced natural left back other than Fuchs who wont play much. 

1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

CB and striker over wingbacks as I feel the rotation of JJ & Castagne will suffice with Fuchs as back up. 

As for Gray id just run the last year of his contract out. We need him for cup games and for back up if/when we get injured so as to free the better squad players to focus on the Prem/EL. 

Yes we need a centre back as number one priority. Doubt we'll get a striker whilst we still have Vardy plus Nacho but we would be light if Vardy got injured. We dont have a natural left back other than Fuchs who wont play much and Thomas needs loaning out. If there is a left back available for a decent fee before the window closes, I'm convinced we will get one. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Castagne is going to definitely play LB once Riccardo is fit, no chance we are signing another LB.

I am assuming we are helping Castagne ease into premier league life by letting him start off in his most familiar position, before then transitioning over to LB. However, in reality he's managed to take to PL life like a duck to water, and no doubt better than Brendan could ever have hoped for! 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Castagne is going to definitely play LB once Riccardo is fit, no chance we are signing another LB.

Says who? The likelihood is that is what will happen, purely based on available options, but everyone expected him to start at left back and Justin right back for our first game, but obviously that didn’t happen.

There are quotes from Castagne which state one of the attractions of coming to us was that he was going to be able to play the same position as he wants to, but obviously if we shift him to the left when Ricky P is back that goes at odds with that.

It would not surprise me if we did sign a left back closer to deadline day, even just on loan for the season, but obviously the CB is the main target currently and until resolved any possible LB addition is lower priority.

1 minute ago, stu said:

Says who? The likelihood is that is what will happen, purely based on available options, but everyone expected him to start at left back and Justin right back for our first game, but obviously that didn’t happen.

There are quotes from Castagne which state one of the attractions of coming to us was that he was going to be able to play the same position as he wants to, but obviously if we shift him to the left when Ricky P is back that goes at odds with that.

It would not surprise me if we did sign a left back closer to deadline day, even just on loan for the season, but obviously the CB is the main target currently and until resolved any possible LB addition is lower priority.

Did he say that was RB then? Genuine question not being facetious.

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Did he say that was RB then? Genuine question not being facetious.

No I don’t think he did, but other than last season for Atalanta I think he played on the right and that is his position for Belgium too, so again nothing concrete but a fair assumption.

I’ll find the quotes if I can.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Agreed but just remains to be seen if he will be as effective playing left back as he is at right back  

6 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

not reliable person, but likely copy/paste from elsewhere 

Makes no sense whatsoever to ASSE to allow that unless we pay an inflated fee next summer under the obligation. And even then, ASSE need the money this season although  imagine they could borrow from a bank on the basis that the sum is guaranteed from us next June 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 2

It won’t be a loan, it will be money upfront. Like a few have suggested it seems the Under deal was done as it was to ensure funds were available to spend on a defender. I suspect we will cough up a full amount now for Fofana.

Then potentially a striker on loan to support Vardy and Kalechi.  

8 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

not reliable person, but likely copy/paste from elsewhere 

You don't make a hostile bid and then throw in a loan with an obligation, it will be rubbish.

The caveat to that is you throw another 10-20% of what the agreed fee would be to buy.

Just now, Pliskin said:

It won’t be a loan, it will be money upfront. Like a few have suggested it seems the Under deal was done as it was to ensure funds were available to spend on a defender. I suspect we will cough up a full amount now for Fofana.

Under wasn't a hostile bid but a mutually beneficial deal for all three parties so you can get away with certain things as everyone wants the deal to happen.

Fofana is a hostile bid that ST Etienne will do under duress if there is a deal. They will not accept being messed about.

Just now, Fightforever said:

Fofana handed in a request so I imagine that's why things are suddenly moving along and/or we agreed to pay the 30 million euros but on an obligation to buy. Either way great stuff.

@Nick said that last night but I've not seen it reported, have you got a link?

Dorsett:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/12077827/wesley-fofana-leicester-in-talks-to-sign-defender-from-st-etienne

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers has refused to comment publicly on his interest in Fofana, but Sky Sports News has been told negotiations with the French club are progressing.

St Etienne originally wanted £25m for Fofana, significantly beyond what Leicester are willing to pay to bring him to the King Power Stadium.

A structured deal appears most likely, potentially starting with a loan with an option to buy at the end of the season.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I agree, but if we did initially offer such a deal it may explain why it has been so tricky.