Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CloudFox

Wesley Fofana

In comparison to what we have, Soyuncu, Benkovic (when fit) and Evans of course, is Fofana as good as or better than our players or is he similar to what we have in our U 23s. We need a player fit and ready to play at their asking price and I would hope he is as good as Soyuncu... :scarf:

• Like 1

looking at the current financial situation at king power i'd be very surprised if we spend much more than we have, possibly bring in some loans or freebies. AOT are struggling and their share price has drop by 8% to support king powers struggle through lack of travel. its a shame but finances aren't where we want to be. it isn't happening move on.

4 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

In comparison to what we have, Soyuncu, Benkovic (when fit) and Evans of course, is Fofana as good as or better than our players or is he similar to what we have in our U 23s. We need a player fit and ready to play at their asking price and I would hope he is as good as Soyuncu... :scarf:

We should be all over Tah. Always liked him. Ofcourse I have no idea how much they want but surely progress would be easier than it seems to be with this lad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t blame St. E for their position at all, but usually these things change when a player expresses a desire to leave. Then it’s usually just a case of the buying club meeting the asking price. That's basically what’s happened to us with Mahrez, Drinkwater, Maguire and Chilwell even if each of those cases had its own saga.

If St. E have received an asking price bid, the player wants to leave and they are still refusing - than it’s a bit of a dangerous game they’re playing. The gamble can work both ways.

We’ve seen it work, but quite often the player’s value is never quite as high. The Maynard saga is a case in point. Bristol City ultimately accepted a much smaller bid from West Ham, which affected the former’s ability to build a squad and they have stayed in the Championship ever since. Maynard’s star was never as high and he slipped down the leagues. 

In my view we should make a fair, and final, bid and be clear it’s final. If it’s ultimately rejected then move on to other targets whilst we still have time. 

• Like 1

In my mind only the player (or player's agent) can be blamed for this transfer not happening (assuming it doesn't).

In April, he signed a 4-year deal and came out and said he was happy to stay at the club to further his career, had this just been posturing and behind the scenes he was simply trying to get ASSE a bigger paycheck then his agent should have asked for a minimum fee release clause to be inserted into the contract. This would have meant that should a team come in with the asking price then ASSE would let him go with their blessings, and with £26m in their pocket to spend on new players, which in the French league would go a long way to ensuring their safety. However, what (appears to have) happened was that he signed a 4-year deal with no release clause but (if the French press are to be believed) had a gentleman's agreement with the club that if X figure was met he could leave. The problem is, a gentleman's agreement means about as much as the non-existent paper it's written on - absolutely diddly.

Whether the club 'did him over' or not is moot, ASSE are well within their rights to decide that they want to keep a player that they now have tied down to a big contract. In their minds in 1-2 years time he could potentially be worth double that, and from the player's point of view would still be only 20/21 years of age and could easily command a move to the Premier League. He may not get to play for his dream club Leicester City, he may just have to settle for some other no mark like Manchester City. Diddums.

Claude Puel is doing exactly what we would expect Brendan to be doing in this situation - trying to keep his best young talent. He may be a lot of things, but he does know a decent young player when he sees one. (Could we get him to take over at Leuven at some point?)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

If he’s as good as Soyuncu is now then he would be costing us a lot more than we are offering 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, talking_goldfish said:

In my mind only the player (or player's agent) can be blamed for this transfer not happening (assuming it doesn't).

In April, he signed a 4-year deal and came out and said he was happy to stay at the club to further his career, had this just been posturing and behind the scenes he was simply trying to get ASSE a bigger paycheck then his agent should have asked for a minimum fee release clause to be inserted into the contract. This would have meant that should a team come in with the asking price then ASSE would let him go with their blessings, and with £26m in their pocket to spend on new players, which in the French league would go a long way to ensuring their safety. However, what (appears to have) happened was that he signed a 4-year deal with no release clause but (if the French press are to be believed) had a gentleman's agreement with the club that if X figure was met he could leave. The problem is, a gentleman's agreement means about as much as the non-existent paper it's written on - absolutely diddly.

Whether the club 'did him over' or not is moot, ASSE are well within their rights to decide that they want to keep a player that they now have tied down to a big contract. He may not get to play for his dream club Leicester City, he may just have to settle for some other no mark like Manchester City. Diddums.

Claude Puel is doing exactly what we would expect Brendan to be doing in this situation - trying to keep his best young talent. He may be a lot of things, but he does know a decent young player when he sees one. (Could we get him to take over at Leuven at some point?)

'In their minds in 1-2 years time he could potentially be worth double that, and from the player's point of view would still be only 20/21 years of age and could easily command a move to the Premier League'.

Great post, but with Corona seemingly not going way any time soon, future transfer fees are potentially in danger of dropping further as opposed to increasing. It's a gamble by ASSE if that is their strategy.  Forget Chelsea, Manure and ManC, it seems all other EPL Clubs are feeling the pinch?   Any way we will see!

1 hour ago, Plastik Man said:

I think Aranguiz was summer 2014? Maybe wrong. Kante arrived 2015, obviously. 

I just checked it . We were after him and so were Bayern and he signed for them in August 2015 . Made some disparaging remarks about us even though we offered a lot more money . Still we know what happened next :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jobyfox said:

I don’t blame St. E for their position at all, but usually these things change when a player expresses a desire to leave. Then it’s usually just a case of the buying club meeting the asking price. That's basically what’s happened to us with Mahrez, Drinkwater, Maguire and Chilwell even if each of those cases had its own saga.

If St. E have received an asking price bid, the player wants to leave and they are still refusing - than it’s a bit of a dangerous game they’re playing. The gamble can work both ways.

We’ve seen it work, but quite often the player’s value is never quite as high. The Maynard saga is a case in point. Bristol City ultimately accepted a much smaller bid from West Ham, which affected the former’s ability to build a squad and they have stayed in the Championship ever since. Maynard’s star was never as high and he slipped down the leagues. 

In my view we should make a fair, and final, bid and be clear it’s final. If it’s ultimately rejected then move on to other targets whilst we still have time. 

The Maynard saga was the saga of all sagas lol

for some reason it seemed like Bristol would not do business with us at any price and I wondered if there was some personal animosity behind the scenes . I don’t think Maynard was totally sold on joining us either but veterans of that episode use it as a yardstick for  time wasted 

Edited by surrifox

9 minutes ago, surrifox said:

for some reason it seemed like Bristol would not do business with us at any price and I wondered if there was some personal animosity behind the scenes . I don’t think Maynard was totally sold on joining us either but veterans of that episode use it as a yardstick for  time wasted 

I think the Maynard saga is one to quote because everyone remembers it. There are numerous examples, but it would make for a long and boring post to quote them all.

The short answer is that hanging onto a player who wants to leave is a big gamble for a selling club. It can work, but it can also be a very expensive mistake. 

30 minutes ago, surrifox said:

he came out and said he would've joined. but it was out of his hands. strange how they held onto him for a few months then sells him for 4 mill less lol 

fantastic business from them.

2 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I personally don't buy the hole, "I'm a victim" card he is playing. We were first linked with him in April, around the same time he signed a new deal. If he really wanted this move, then he shouldn't have signed a new contract.

Me too as they don't seem to be available anymore.

81DlHtAw5lL._SL1500_.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, surrifox said:

Harry conducted himself in exemplary fashion during the negotiations ( in public at least). I think a lot of people dislike the fact that he appears to have gone full Man U tw@t since he left 

As soon as he left our support base turned on him. I have no particular love for the guy - as an England fan I like him because I know he loves playing for his country. As a Leicester fan we made a great profit on him and he was a good player for us. That’s as far as my opinion on him goes, but.....

I always hate it when players do what Mahrez and Fofana have done, I understand their frustration, but I think it is disrespectful to the club and fans when they publicly demand a move. I lost all respect for Riyad in the transfer saga despite being one of the biggest fans of his play.

However, I respected the way Maguire went about things. We got a great price, he got a big pay rise and United did well(ish) out of it as well Just my opinion, but you won’t find me hammering Maguire and saying Fofana is doing the right thing. I just don’t see it that way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NewquayFox said:

He's good enough to go straight into the first team for sure.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

hate to break it to you .......

...funnily enough, this would probably complicate the matter, to our detriment!!!

Should another club match, our even surpass by a few million. what we have bid and Fofana insist his best interest is to come to Leicester, then irrespective of what St. Etienne requires, Fofana is not compelled to go to the other club. We now have a player who wants to leave, St.Etienne has a firm bid for money to strengthen their team and we are pushed to the back of the deal as a nuisance.

The interjection of another club in this matter, is something, we do not need.

He publicly said he hopes Puel can respect his decision and grant him his transfer yet he was the one who pushed for him to stay. He defo won’t be happy, just gotta see over the next few days if he tries to push for a deal even more by refusing to train or handing in a transfer request.

3 hours ago, Sambiasso said:

Is he really worth around 30m? Seems expensive for someone who has so little experience.

Take solace in the fact that St Etienne believe he is or they couldn't shift him out the door quick enough. He'd be ideal to come here with his great assets of speed and aerial ability and at 19 we could still use him as back up to Evans and Soyuncu and he'll get plenty of game time this season anyway with our Europa Cup schedule. 

• Like 1