Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

Just now, Finnaldo said:

Thanks for the replies lads, @David Guizacovered everything I would mostly, I think the context of being in a museum is the important one for me. We need to be more critical of our past in my opinion, I’m very proud to be British & English, but for all we’ve given to the world there’s plenty we’ve taken as well. I’ve never been ‘guilty’ of our past but I think there’s parts that was glossed over we should account for and look at who we venerate and celebrate in public spaces. 

And I agree, I have always said this! I've always said how can we celebrate our victories, but ignore our failures... The partition of India, the scramble for Africa, the colonisation of Australia the list is endless, and I can't remember touching on any of these topics until sixth form, and even then it was just a quick scim over it. We seem to be embarrassed to teach it or cover it. We need to drastically improve our education when it comes to history, my nephew once asked me "why are there Indian people in army uniform" whilst watching a remembrance parade on T.V, he didn't even know what allied forces were.... and he's 15..... We are failing diversity thanks to our inability to accept out part in acts of inhumanity. This is the start of how the outlook changes, how we educate our younger generations and how we attempt to move forward in hope of abolishing racism (which i'm not naive to think we can totally abolish it).  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Thanks for the replies lads, @David Guizacovered everything I would mostly, I think the context of being in a museum is the important one for me. We need to be more critical of our past in my opinion, I’m very proud to be British & English, but for all we’ve given to the world there’s plenty we’ve taken as well. I’ve never been ‘guilty’ of our past but I think there’s parts that was glossed over we should account for and look at who we venerate and celebrate in public spaces. 

Agree that as a nation, we are culpable, very culpable in terms of our past activities, and we should never shy away from accepting our roles in these. However, in partial reverse of what yourself and @David Guiza say, although I can offer no better solution, sticking a statue or a plaque in a museum sort of dilutes the effect in my mind, as the audience is instantly shrank.

However I can also see that leaving such a statue out in a public space is tantamount to justifying past actions, so it is a difficult one and perhaps removal is the least worst option, yet it just somehow feels like we are airbrushing such beliefs from history if we were to do so.

:dunno:

Our democracy has been hard-won and is precious to many, including myself.

We elect our representatives to act on our behalf, including the making of laws.  Our society functions in the way is does because of those laws.  Without the rule of law there would be anarchy, where we would have much less control over our lives.

As much as I have sympathy for some of the causes, I cannot condone the wanton disregard of the law by individuals who place their own values above those of our society.  We are in the middle of a pandemic, a situation that requires discipline from us all to defeat it.  That should be our primary objective.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

Our democracy has been hard-won and is precious to many, including myself.

We elect our representatives to act on our behalf, including the making of laws.  Our society functions in the way is does because of those laws.  Without the rule of law there would be anarchy, where we would have much less control over our lives.

As much as I have sympathy for some of the causes, I cannot condone the wanton disregard of the law by individuals who place their own values above those of our society.  We are in the middle of a pandemic, a situation that requires discipline from us all to defeat it.  That should be our primary objective.

Quite.

image.jpeg.25f06352705b1219cc8a04a675017e70.jpeg

Now I know there are selfish elements of these protests who would have paid no regard to social distancing whatever the situation, but the ministerial response to the Cummings incident served as a catalyst for everyone across society to interpret the rules (particularly in these times) in the way they want to. That's asking for trouble when a situation like the BLM protests arises.

Of course it's completely dismaying to see those scenes think of the consequences mass gatherings could have for all of our immediate futures, and yes, people should ultimately take responsibility for their own actions, but the lack of discipline has come from the very top here. The government lost the moral authority to govern this crisis when they backed him. They need to get a grip - and quickly.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Anyone else ****ing sick of the constant whataboutery going on?

Again, I'm all for sensible and peaceful BLM protests but the weird pre-empted defence against any second wave is absolving themselves of any blame, by pinning it on people going to the beach, the park, VE Day and Dominic Cummings. You don't have to pick a side and you can be rightly pissed off at the lack of social distancing from everyone involved, no matter what their cause is.

Obviously these protests are more important than topping up your tan and more important than any street party, but the stuff I'm reading about the media waiting to pounce on black people instead of idiots doing the conga is just not going to wash. 

Agreed. I've even seen people taking children to protest and justifying it by saying it's a huge historic moment. Bigger than a global pandemic? 

14 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Anyone else ****ing sick of the constant whataboutery going on?

Again, I'm all for sensible and peaceful BLM protests but the weird pre-empted defence against any second wave is absolving themselves of any blame, by pinning it on people going to the beach, the park, VE Day and Dominic Cummings. You don't have to pick a side and you can be rightly pissed off at the lack of social distancing from everyone involved, no matter what their cause is.

Obviously these protests are more important than topping up your tan and more important than any street party, but the stuff I'm reading about the media waiting to pounce on black people instead of idiots doing the conga is just not going to wash. 

But if Cummings didn't **** about no one would be breaking the rules. 

Sorry. Legit can't even make a joke out of it. lol

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Meanwhile the rest of us abhor both of the groups that attack the police.

What do you mean 'the rest of us'? 

Are you implying I don't? 

Cos I'm pretty sure I have stated my thoughts about those that attack police over the weekend/last week being totally wrong... 

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What do you mean 'the rest of us'? 

Are you implying I don't? 

Cos I'm pretty sure I have stated my thoughts about those that attack police over the weekend/last week being totally wrong... 

I mean those of us not in either video, and indeed not their supporters.  The vast majority.

2 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Agreed. I've even seen people taking children to protest and justifying it by saying it's a huge historic moment. Bigger than a global pandemic? 

It'll be an historic moment if something comes out of it but, i very much doubt there will be any changes in this country. What can you change?

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

It was chucked in to the harbour afterwards lol

They had to roll it a fair bit before it got dumped. 

I think they're gonna fish it out and stick it in a museum. Will add a little extra to the narrative. 

Yeah that was a long way to roll it.. Over cobbles as well. Impressive effort. 

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Oooh easy one. We'll send him when they send that woman that killed that young lad. 

I disagree. I don't think that justice for victims of rampant paedophiles should depend on bargaining tools and I don't think justice for Harry Dunn should depend on bargaining Prince Andrew. I hate how corrupt this all is in both cases. Yet we're the free democratic west who sneer on China/Middle East. Are we really that much better? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I disagree. I don't think that justice for victims of rampant paedophiles should depend on bargaining tools and I don't think justice for Harry Dunn should depend on bargaining Prince Andrew. I hate how corrupt this all is in both cases. Yet we're the free democratic west who sneer on China/Middle East. Are we really that much better? 

We just hide it better. 

And tbh I agree with you, I hate pedos with a passion. But epstein is dead. Can't really do a lot to him now. That woman still walks free. That doesn't sit well with me at all, and if we have to play some dirty games to get it done, so be it. 

• Like 1