Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WigstonWanderer

Watford Away Pre Match

22 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

It wasn't very interesting for Rodgers first game with us in the same fixture, or when we lost both legs against Villa in the cup.

I meant interesting in a more academic sense than anything. I don't think relying on Chilwell and J.J to consistently provide the attacking onus would be great

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Interesting.  For all the energy a high pressing style appears to require, we’re near the bottom of the pack in distance covered.  After all teams have played 29 *, we’ll be 17th.

Is it that teams that possess the ball don’t have to chase?  No.  Of the top eight teams in possession, all except Man U and LCFC will also be in the top half for distance covered.  We are the lowest.  Lazy sods  :angry:

Five clubs have run their longest distances of the season v Man City.  Against us, none.  We are not running the legs off the opposition.

Working smarter, not harder ??

* (adjusting distance covered for Arsenal, SU, Man City and Villa games in hand)

5 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Interesting.  For all the energy a high pressing style appears to require, we’re near the bottom of the pack in distance covered.  After all teams have played 29 *, we’ll be 17th.

Is it that teams that possess the ball don’t have to chase?  No.  Of the top eight teams in possession, all except Man U and LCFC will also be in the top half for distance covered.  We are the lowest.  Lazy sods  :angry:

Five clubs have run their longest distances of the season v Man City.  Against us, none.  We are not running the legs off the opposition.

* (adjusting distance covered for Arsenal, SU, Man City and Villa games in hand)

Actually I'd say that's one of the reasons we've had such a great season. Rodgers football is a combination of European controlled possesion and German style gegenpressing. We try to win the ball high up the pitch and work on quick transitions through the lines. But if we can't make a goal happen that way, we pass it around the back and recycle it a lot. Evans and Soyuncu often end the game with the most passes of any player in our team.

The reason our running stats aren't that high is because our tactics for the most part work! It's clever because it means we can steal the ball from the opposition often, but conserve energy when we have the ball so that we don't get knackered.

Liverpool and Man City have perfected the system even better than we have, but it shows you that it's very effective.

• Like 2

If anyone doesnt have BT sports and is with EE I have just signed up for BT sports as an add on and its free for the first 3 months then £15 after. Watchable on mobile, other devices and smart tv 😉😊

Can cancel anytime. No contract for the add on!

Edited by Hales
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

With 5 subs, trying to tire out the opposition through monopolising possession probably won't work as well. Might have to change up tactics.

Interesting point, the sheer amount of 2nd half goals we scored this season as a likely consequence of doing just what you say does pose a need to mix it up a bit. I think this is why we might well go 3-4-1-2 to get both Vardy and Iheanacho in together to create a different problem to the opposition.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Interesting point, the sheer amount of 2nd half goals we scored this season as a likely consequence of doing just what you say does pose a need to mix it up a bit. I think this is why we might well go 3-4-1-2 to get both Vardy and Iheanacho in together to create a different problem to the opposition.

Or even 4-3-1-2, our 3rd centre back is not nearly good enough to warrant removing one of our mids imo.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2020 at 09:26, KingsX said:

Honestly, I highly doubt it's going to matter. I think what's more telling is that the teams with the most distance covered are generally the ones in a relegation scrap. James Ward-Prowse is the player with the single most distance covered... and he probably did most of that in one night trying to get the ball off us at St. Mary's. :D

It's like getting worked up over xG stats - there's an obvious correlation between a team's performance and the stats themselves in the extreme examples, but otherwise the link is far more vague.

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Dreaded diamond again though?

I think it could be solved by playing a harder working mid in the three maybe. Instead of Tielemans put in Hamza for example. It probably wouldn't work as a possession dominating side though if I'm being realistic, would probably be best as more of a counterattacking team.

2 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Why dreaded? Didn't we use it at the 4-1 win away at villa? We were electric that day.

In fairness we were hardly perfect that day, there were clear weakness - namely our lack of defensive width - that Norwich happily exploited the immediate game after.

On 09/06/2020 at 09:27, StriderHiryu said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11996016/premier-league-running-stats-this-season-revealed

It's odd because Youri has a physical build where it seems like he's a bit chubby and is neither the fastest nor able to run for that long a time. But he's actually our hardest working midfielder in terms of distance run in a single game and per every game! So looks can most definitely be deceiving!

I'm astonished by that, I had no idea... thank god for the tech that gives us the data, because it changes how I view Youri a bit. Maybe he just got found out a bit earlier in the season, and struggled to adjust. I think he definitely got pressed harder than has ever had before, as other teams worked out what a danger he is.

I do recall Mahrez having some games as our top runner, and still getting panned for not working hard enough.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2020 at 09:52, StriderHiryu said:

He reminds me a bit of the MMA fighter Fedor Emelianenko or even Tyson Fury. Fedor and Tyson don't look like a typical "athlete" but are still world class as what they do. Not everyone is blessed with the type of body that we'd usually associate with top athletes!

Actually I think that was one of the most endearing things about our title win. Players like Mahrez, Vardy, Kante and Wes Morgan... you can see why other teams didn't initially pick them up as they don't have the sort of physical attributes you'd associate with an elite footballer. It's one of the reasons I love football and players like Messi, Xavi, Zola as well. Football is a game where being skillful / intelligent is just as (if not more important) than being a physical specimen. It's also why I love Steph Curry in the NBA too.

Sometimes it is that difference that gives them something extra. Being stockier (or more correctly wider) gives that extra power in the pass from the extra leverage, in Youri's case. Beckham was a bit like that, he ran like a crab!

Kante was only possible because his slight frame gave him a mobility advantage that he fully maximised to give him an extraordinary style. Wes is one of the most barrel chested footballers imaginable, and in his pomp was virtual unbeatable, shoulder to shoulder. We could go on...

The subject brings Garrincha to mind, his shins/legs were famously not right from childhood, and he somehow exploited what he had to reach the very highest levels.

Edited by Vardinio'sCat
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

I'm astonished by that, I had no idea... thank god for the tech that gives us the data, because it changes how I view Youri a bit. Maybe he just got found out a bit earlier in the season, and struggled to adjust. I think he definitely got pressed harder than has ever had before, as other teams worked out what a danger he is.

I do recall Mahrez having some games as our top runner, and still getting panned for not working hard enough.

In fairness a lot of midfielders run a lot but don't necessarily have a huge impact, the classic example being Eriksen who would basically never tackle somebody.

2 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Sometimes it is that difference that gives them something extra. Being stockier (or more correctly wider) gives that extra power in the pass from the extra leverage, in Youri's case. Beckham was a bit like that, he ran like a crab!

Kante was only possible because his slight frame gave him a mobility advantage that he fully maximised to give him an extraordinary style. Wes is one of the most barrel chested footballers imaginable, and in his pomp was virtual unbeatable, shoulder to shoulder. We could go on...

The subject brings Garrincha to mind, his shins/legs were famously not right from childhood, and he somehow exploited what he had to reach the very highest levels.

If we could just clone Garrincha our team would be good to go I reckon

• Like 1