Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WigstonWanderer

Watford Away Pre Match

Nervous for this one already. Honestly see it as a huge game. We need 4 wins from 8? Utd, Spurs and Everton away to go, plus other tough fixtures (like this one) against teams playing for something big. No easy ones left. Plus no Riccy P. And a lot of games to cram in. At Vicarage Road we play before our rivals and get the chance to extend the gap and show we're not gonna be caught. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sdb said:

Nervous for this one already. Honestly see it as a huge game. We need 4 wins from 8? Utd, Spurs and Everton away to go, plus other tough fixtures (like this one) against teams playing for something big. No easy ones left. Plus no Riccy P. And a lot of games to cram in. At Vicarage Road we play before our rivals and get the chance to extend the gap and show we're not gonna be caught. 

Lose this and everybody will be nervous!

An exciting, successful Leicester side just starting back up, minus one key player, away from home.  Am I the only one flashing back to Hull City?  That’s enough to cure me of overconfidence.  (Especially if I compare Mike Phelan with a Championship side, to Pearson with a decent one.)

That said, I still feel good.  It’s all about preparation right now, and I don’t think Rodgers will be out-prepared, even by Big Nige.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue-fox said:

Starting 11 Won’t be far off this I dont think 

kasper

justin

evans

soyunco

chilwell

ndidi

albrighton/Perez 

maddison 

teilimens

barnes 

Vardy 

Yeah I agree, the strongest XI we can field at the minute.

13 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Sometimes it is that difference that gives them something extra. Being stockier (or more correctly wider) gives that extra power in the pass from the extra leverage, in Youri's case. Beckham was a bit like that, he ran like a crab!

Kante was only possible because his slight frame gave him a mobility advantage that he fully maximised to give him an extraordinary style. Wes is one of the most barrel chested footballers imaginable, and in his pomp was virtual unbeatable, shoulder to shoulder. We could go on...

The subject brings Garrincha to mind, his shins/legs were famously not right from childhood, and he somehow exploited what he had to reach the very highest levels.

I'm not old enough to have been able to see Garrincha play in person or even on a live game on the TV, but I wish I could have seen him play! In the videos he just looks ridiculous. They say he was the best dribbler of all time, partly because his legs were not the same length so it made him hard to read and made it easier for him to turn. The scary thing is football was so different back then, pitches were often a mess and defenders got away with nastier tackles. He'd probably be even more insane in the modern game!

For similar reasons I also wish I could have seen Puskas, Di Stefano, Best, Pele and Maradona play. At least with Maradona I got to see him on the TV in his later career, but again watching videos of him at his peak were something else.

Edited by StriderHiryu

11 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I'm not old enough to have been able to see Garrincha play in person or even on a live game on the TV, but I wish I could have seen him play! In the videos he just looks ridiculous. They say he was the best dribbler of all time, partly because his legs were not the same length so it made him hard to read and made it easier for him to turn. The scary thing is football was so different back then, pitches were often a mess and defenders got away with nastier tackles. He'd probably be even more insane in the modern game!

For similar reasons I also wish I could have seen Puskas, Di Stefano, Best, Pele and Maradona play. At least with Maradona I got to see him on the TV in his later career, but again watching videos of him at his peak were something else.

Best dribbler of all time is definitely Harry Kane!

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Random (drunk) musing here, but, I often think about big Nigel Pearson telling that fan to **** off and die and it makes me smile 

That and of course the touchline strangling

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

There is a real cut off between those who were captured on film of good quality, and those who weren't. I looked for footage of Lev Yashin a while back, and whilst he does do some very modern things, the quality of the youtube vid means it is hard to make out.

I have seen old footage that has been 'improved' to a massive degree, using modern technology, correcting the speed and cleaning up the images. I wonder if they will eventually get round to our football archives, when the task becomes easier and cheaper.

• Like 2

This does make me nervous too. If we played this with both teams at full fitness I wouldn't know what to expect from the game, because Watford are designed to play teams like ours at the moment.

As it is, hopefully the absence of Deulofeu and Deeney can sway this in our favour. I have the feeling Sarr will terrorise us.

Ain it grate! 

Pre-Match thread back and in reality, everyones opinion is just about level i.e in reality, nobody knows nowt....ahhhh innit peaceful, won't last for long, enjoy it whilst it lasts.

It's going to be fascinating.

Interesting reading Ben Foster's comments about anxious players potentially coming into their own.

We assume we recognise players like that in our team, so will we see some new found extra confidence in certain individuals?

Foster does balance the theory with other players missing the crowds energy, so that will prove interesting as well. 

As people have already said, bringing academy players through the BCD environment could benefit them greatly, let's just hope we have a comfortable enough start/end to the season to see them get some experience....errrrr sorry...I forgot I support Leicester...been away too long...comfortable?....as if. 

As for team selection...it kinda picks itself.

Obviously JJ in for Ricardo and hypocritically, dare I say it, if he's carrying a muscle strain, Gray in for Perez?

Can't wait to see Sir Nigel's reactions. 

Daft question, can Top or Rudkin attend? (14 day quarantine and Top's location depending)

4 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

Ain it grate! 

Pre-Match thread back and in reality, everyones opinion is just about level i.e in reality, nobody knows nowt....ahhhh innit peaceful, won't last for long, enjoy it whilst it lasts.

It's going to be fascinating.

Interesting reading Ben Foster's comments about anxious players potentially coming into their own.

We assume we recognise players like that in our team, so will we see some new found extra confidence in certain individuals?

Foster does balance the theory with other players missing the crowds energy, so that will prove interesting as well. 

As people have already said, bringing academy players through the BCD environment could benefit them greatly, let's just hope we have a comfortable enough start/end to the season to see them get some experience....errrrr sorry...I forgot I support Leicester...been away too long...comfortable?....as if. 

As for team selection...it kinda picks itself.

Obviously JJ in for Ricardo and hypocritically, dare I say it, if he's carrying a muscle strain, Gray in for Perez?

Can't wait to see Sir Nigel's reactions. 

Daft question, can Top or Rudkin attend? (14 day quarantine and Top's location depending)

I would expect Susan and rudders to be there (assuming Susan hasn’t had a return from Thailand in the past week).  But I wouldn’t expect Top to be travelling to the U.K. anytime soon. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I would expect Susan and rudders to be there (assuming Susan hasn’t had a return from Thailand in the past week).  But I wouldn’t expect Top to be travelling to the U.K. anytime soon. 

Sorry, I fogorahbaht R Su.

Yes, I can't wait to see where they both sit in the stadium. 

Hopefully both behind the Watford goal sledging Foster. 

Edited by Danny Clender

6 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

Sorry, I fogorahbaht R Su.

Yes, I can't wait to see where they both sit in the stadium. 

Hopefully both behind the Watford goal sledging Foster. 

I believe that is their intention - would just be so reassuring for us to hear ‘you’re sh1t, aaah followed by a minute of aaaaaaggghhh ‘s, especially given its foster ! 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Not seen too many chocolate teapots notch up 7 goals and 5 assists in about 20 starts

...that's the problem with stats, not to be taken at face value!!!

As you are aware he scored 3 goals in a single game making it 4 goals in nineteen. Not sure how many assist he had in that game but when. his numbers are  analyzed it does not bear scrutiny.

If their is one poster on hear who continuously advocate for a right winger  It is yourself. We all know that we need one, we are held back by not addressing this option but Perez does not solve our problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...that's the problem with stats, not to be taken at face value!!!

As you are aware he scored 3 goals in a single game making it 4 goals in nineteen. Not sure how many assist he had in that game but when. his numbers are  analyzed it does not bear scrutiny.

If their is one poster on hear who continuously advocate for a right winger  It is yourself. We all know that we need one, we are held back by not addressing this option but Perez does not solve our problem.

Neither does Albrighton. But Perez is much more efficient at linking up the forward play, and his pressing in the front areas of the pitch help greatly with how we play

Fair enough I can see the suggestion for Albrighton when playing against a bigger side like Liverpool or City where the full back will need help, but against a team like Watford who we should control the game against, we need someone to be involved in the intricate forward play rather than swingng crosses in to just Vardy

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, sdb said:

Wonder if it'll be a diamond 4 with iheanacho staring. Got a feeling it might well be. Massive game for the selected full backs if so.

Diamond wouldn't be a great plan against Watford who utilise Sarr down the flank regularly and our midfield would be dragged all over the pitch

• Like 2