Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WigstonWanderer

Watford Away Pre Match

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's been a few years since we won the 1st game of the season and this restart will feel like that. Would be nice to break that.

I read way too much into the first game of each season. When we raced out to a lead against Sunderland in the title winning season, it felt like it was Leicester was picking right up where they left off from the great escape. Then we went and lost to Hull city the next season, and the magic was gone :revenge:

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's been a few years since we won the 1st game of the season and this restart will feel like that. Would be nice to break that.

The last time we won on the opening day we won the league. Not bad. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

In fairness I agree with you there Bert, Maguire was nowhere near worth 85m and I don't mean any disrespect to the player himself either as he was a very decent player for us. As you rightly say, it was a very inflated market though but I would argue perhaps that if we wanted to sign an out an out winger, Perez just isn't one, albeit I recognise that he played out on the right for Newcastle the season before. The idea that wingers traditionally are great goalscorers is a bit of a myth for me, they are there of course, but a rare and very expensive breed. Better to get a dedicated winger who will do his job rather than, if that's what you're after, employ yet another 'jack of all trades, master of none' for me.

As for his goals and assists, he'd had one half decent season where he had a purple patch right at the end of it. Even Newcastle fans were very frustrated with him in his previous seasons in fairness. All signings can be a risk but in Premiership terms, I think Perez was fairly well exposed and predictable though Rodgers, with his expertise as a coach, probably felt he could coax more out of him and who on earth am I to disagree with him. Perez does have ability, he has a nice touch and you could never criticise him for not giving of his best but ... he seems so weak for a player of his size and does relinquish possession disproportionately compared to other players for me, sometimes in key bad areas. He looks a bit like an over coached technical academy type player who would look good in training but who can't then recreate it on the pitch. He did arguably look more useful in a central role but if Vardy is quite rightly our main striker, then we have better options to play behind him. My one thought though was that the goals he has scored, particularly the hatrick, were very well and skilfully taken. Bearing in mind that his previous 12 goals were with Rondon, have we in Perez got a more very skillful opportunistic poacher type player? Though I don't see Rodgers ever playing that sort of way or, arguably with a traditional crossing winger for that matter.

I also think one of the reasons we signed him was for his versatility. The club do their homework and the majority of signings are decent. 

Most out and out wingers are simply over rated at the minute which also why there’s a premium. 

• Like 1

I help out in my local from time to time, which is of course shut at the moment. Though there is coincidentally some work that’s gonna need to be done there to prepare for reopening.

I’ll be carrying that work out on Saturday circa 10am - 3pm.

31 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Rodgers confirmed on the Football Forum that there are two injuries: Perez should be back in training tomorrow, and Bennett has had a sore ankle, didn't give a timescale for him.

Shit Bennett has Elvis's ankle injury

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Least in front of the telly you can have  a beer and go to a decent loo!!

We need the points more than you - at this time of thinking about others and being caring please be charitable !

Even if it's a point.

;)

Prediction? And any early team news? People keep questioning Deeney's fitness but I'm sure he played your warm up game? Delefeuo out? 

3 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Least in front of the telly you can have  a beer and go to a decent loo!!

We need the points more than you - at this time of thinking about others and being caring please be charitable !

Even if it's a point.

;)

If there's one game left that I had to sacrifice a couple of points .. this would be it.. really want Watford to stay up rather than The Spammers!

3 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I know from previous threads others are not that fussed about the league restarting, me.. im buzzing - can't wait to watch the game. 

Football on a Saturday for me will be a way back to normality... the match threads reading all the bollocks about who is playing shit after the 1st 25 secs, the posts of VAAAAAAAAAAAAAARDDDYYYY .. 

Can't bloody wait! 

ps @Super_hornsI hope you win every other of your remaining games, just not this one please <3 

Agree. It won’t be the same but I know I’d rather have a watered down version of football than no football at all. Roll on Saturday, 1230. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

Rodgers confirmed on the Football Forum that there are two injuries: Perez should be back in training tomorrow, and Bennett has had a sore ankle, didn't give a timescale for him.

So Albrighton for Perez but otherwise the same. 

How was the forum btw? Haven't listened in donkeys years as Stringer usually irritates me and then Owynn imitating him doesn't help.

I think this break will be good for nige. He always has his squads in top shape for the start of the season, I think we’ll be in for a tough one. 

Hopefully Deeneys sulking has a negative effect on the squad. 

Important to get momentum going early, a couple of decent results and the chasers will be acutely aware they are running out of time.

The bench is going to be stuffed with options, so I'm looking for radical, Barry Fry-style interventions from BR. 4 subs on at 60 minutes would be nice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sdb said:

Prediction? And any early team news? People keep questioning Deeney's fitness but I'm sure he played your warm up game? Delefeuo out? 

Yes - basically everyone one is fit apart from GD.

Although with our history of injuries someone is bound to get knock before Saturday!

Maybe a 1-1 draw and probably not a very exciting game given the lack of matches the players have had.

13 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I know from previous threads others are not that fussed about the league restarting, me.. im buzzing - can't wait to watch the game. 

Football on a Saturday for me will be a way back to normality... the match threads reading all the bollocks about who is playing shit after the 1st 25 secs, the posts of VAAAAAAAAAAAAAARDDDYYYY .. 

Can't bloody wait! 

ps @Super_hornsI hope you win every other of your remaining games, just not this one please <3 

Exactly this! Saturdays will feel complete again with the return of the football. Saturday routine can return!

Its nice to see little bits of normality return, I hope we can continue getting back to normal.

I absolutely can not wait until the first game fans are allowed back, even if its Burnley on a cold November Tuesday! 

Edited by Foxin_Mad
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Innovindil said:

My only regret is I won't be in charge of the fake crowd noise. 

One your shit ahhhhhhh to get us going then 90 minutes of follow up aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.

Already anticipating the comments on how that’s the best our away end has sounded in years lol

12 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

Does anyone know if we can select players who were loaned out to leagues now curtailed - eg. Dewsbury Hall at Blackpool?

I could be wrong but they have to be registered and I'm sure the PL have said those lists won't be altered.

Our original submitted list was:

Albrighton, Marc
Amartey, Daniel
Barnes, Harvey
Benkovic, Filip
Chilwell, Ben
Choudhury, Hamza
Evans, Jonathan
Fuchs, Christian
Gray, Demarai
Iheanacho, Kelechi
Jakupovic, Eldin
Maddison, James
Mendy, Nampalys
Morgan, Westley
Ndidi, Wilfred
Pereira, Ricardo
Perez, Ayoze
Praet, Dennis
Schmeichel, Kasper
Silva, Adrien
Slimani, Islam
Soyuncu, Caglar
Tielemans, Youri
Vardy, Jamie
Ward, Daniel

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I could be wrong but they have to be registered and I'm sure the PL have said those lists won't be altered.

Our original submitted list was:

Albrighton, Marc
Amartey, Daniel
Barnes, Harvey
Benkovic, Filip
Chilwell, Ben
Choudhury, Hamza
Evans, Jonathan
Fuchs, Christian
Gray, Demarai
Iheanacho, Kelechi
Jakupovic, Eldin
Maddison, James
Mendy, Nampalys
Morgan, Westley
Ndidi, Wilfred
Pereira, Ricardo
Perez, Ayoze
Praet, Dennis
Schmeichel, Kasper
Silva, Adrien
Slimani, Islam
Soyuncu, Caglar
Tielemans, Youri
Vardy, Jamie
Ward, Daniel

That must be the original list in August, we submitted again at the end of January.

• Like 1