Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Luke55

Ayoze Perez

7 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Didn't really get it when we signed him and still don't. We needed a goalscoring right sided forward and brought a non scoring second striker who plays off target men. How does that make sense? Dross.

Not sure it's fair to call him a non scoring second striker. At Newcastle, didn't he get into double figures in that position in the season before we bought him? Agree that he doesn't really offer what we need, though.

Edited by Sunbury Fox

33 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Always suspected that Chilwell's departure would lead to the spotlight falling on Perez as the weakest link (surprised that it hadn't fallen on him before tbh). Have to say that he is underwhelming, especially for the money we paid. We certainly wouldn't get that money back now but let's be honest he's still a decent squad option, as his overall stats showed last season. If he's now judged to be our worst regular starter, it shows how much we've increased the quality of our squad.

This is it for me as well. He's not bad, he's just not as good as the players he's playing with so he sticks out. My concern is that he's looked completely disinterested so far this season which could be an indicator of a larger problem. 

21 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Didn't really get it when we signed him and still don't. We needed a goalscoring right sided forward and brought a non scoring second striker who plays off target men. How does that make sense? Dross.

He had a very good 6 month spell at Newcastle and is still living off Southampton away with us. Apart from that, I struggle to see the quality either here or at Newcastle.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

He got 12 goals playing off the right, he wasn't playing behind a big man like a second striker. What they did was mostly countering and not a possession game. Plus, when they found him they found him mostly on the edge of the final third, we have tended to get the ball to him deeper, where he's playing with his back to the opposition. 

If you can get him higher up the pitch, on the front foot you'll get something different. As it is, out patient build up means the oppo' often resets before we even get into their half, with two tight banks of four and he has to play back to goal, surrounded by players. He doesn't seem to have the feet or strength to play like that. 

• Like 2

He won’t be in the team once we are fully fit and Under has settled in.

Him and Nacho give us attacking options off the bench.  Not worth £30m but a decent squad player - you win some and lose some but as a bad buy he isn’t in the same league as Slimani, Silva, Ghezzel

I've got no idea what his best position is.

What I do know is that too many attacks break down when he receives the ball. Not strong enough or quick enough for the level we should be looking for.

He's not great at anything, but he's just ok at most things. Not a great first touch, finishing is erratic, not quick, first touch sometimes great and other times shocking.

Useful squad player overall but given the choice I wouldn't start him.

Guest Cujek

When i used to see him on the team sheet for Newcastle against us, i was always happy in the knowledge they wouldnt score against us.

I like him, there is somthing about him, i dont know what though, he is a useful squad player for sure, but i dont think he is the answer.

41 minutes ago, Cujek said:

When i used to see him on the team sheet for Newcastle against us, i was always happy in the knowledge they wouldnt score against us.

I like him, there is somthing about him, i dont know what though, he is a useful squad player for sure, but i dont think he is the answer.

Didn't he score winners against us in consecutive home games v Newcastle? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Cujek
23 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Didn't he score winners against us in consecutive home games v Newcastle? 

no idea, but thats just how i felt when i saw his name on it.

I find watching him very frustrating. Same as Gray.

I have no idea why he is preferred to Albrighton who has a better work rate defensively, and can create chances from wide positions, possibly even Gray, as to me, both he & Perez do nothing positive for the collective.

Perez has some of my sympathy however, as I believed he was a striker when we bought him, now here he is predominantly played as a winger / CAM. Now he obviously is doing a job that he is asked to do, and that deserves recognition. Even if he is poor at it. Hopefully now we have signed Under, Perez can fill a spot on the bench or fill in for Vardy if we have 3 games a week.

The thing is... You have to be effective on the pitch to justify wearing a shirt, either in or out of possession. Perez is neither. He doesn't create, cross, or score & he is not highly committed to defending, so what is his effectiveness?

I have waited ever since he signed to see the £30 million player (fee not his fault), and we believe that we have a great recruitment department, but so far, we got this 1 wrong, hes not a disaster, but hes not deserving of a shirt in the first 11.

whilst i agree to a certain extent that we have never really got the best out of Perez, he is far from as bad as some people seem to make out. He does a lot of running off the ball, making space for others and is a cog in the wheel for our system. Aside from yesterday, when we were collectively poor, we generally seem to do better with him in the side than without.  He is one of those players who quietly goes about his business without being flash or ripping up any trees. If Under works out as the right winger we have been crying out for then i think he will be the one that makes way and he will be used more as a forward utility player. That is not a bad thing to have on the bench and i think he will still have an important role in the squad for some time to come. If he does not like that, then despite the fact that i do like him as a player then i won't lose too much sleep either if he decides his future lies elsewhere.

3 hours ago, m4DD0gg said:

Perez and Nacho are both awful players and its a disgrace we have gone 3 transfer windows in a row without signing support/cover/competition for our soon to be 34 year old only lone striker.

Come on now. That's mental.

Both good players but both need game time. Neither getting much at the mo. AP was our best player post lockdown imo. Not that there was much competition.

On 05/10/2020 at 16:00, sdb said:

Come on now. That's mental.

Both good players but both need game time. Neither getting much at the mo. AP was our best player post lockdown imo. Not that there was much competition.

Is that you Brendan? You know Perez is an abject failure and was utterly useless before lockdown. You also played him constantly and he had plenty of game time. Iheanacho has improved and 'hasn't' had a lot of game time albeit he makes much more difference to a game than powder puff Perez. If you hurry, you may be just able to dump him with Slimani in Europe somewhere, you know it makes sense 🤣🤣

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Haha 1

On 05/10/2020 at 12:47, m4DD0gg said:

Perez and Nacho are both awful players and its a disgrace we have gone 3 transfer windows in a row without signing support/cover/competition for our soon to be 34 year old only lone striker.

Not easy to find someone to provide genuine competition to a Golden Boot winner, and who would also accept being second choice.

I just don't get this Perez hate thing.  Is it simply because he cost a fair bit?  Well so have plenty of others. Or the fact that he hasn't scored in double figures? Name me another player, other than the obvious one that did last season. Doesn't take on three men, beating them all at pace and finishing off with a screamer or a perfect cross? - Barnes may be quick but he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo (although put it in a keepers jersey and he would have no problem). or is it because he is not some bloke from Algeria called Riyad? - move on people.

Instead of just picking out things to criticise, and repeating the same old stuff about being too lightweight, loses possession too easily etc. take a look at what he actually does for the team and its overall shape, he runs his socks off, his movement off the ball, creating space for others, quick interchanges to keep the play moving., tracking back etc.  I am not saying he is a great player, or indispensable but neither is he as bad as some like to make out. He is versatile, can play anywhere across the front line or just in behind and do a job.

Unlike some of our so called fans, I like to to think that the majority are fair minded, by all means criticise or praise as appropriate and if deserved, but i find this singling out by some, and jumping on the bandwagon by those looking for excuses or trying to appear knowledgeable disappointing. Too many form an opinion (and not always their own) without any knowledge of how a team operates and without actually watching what is happening on the pitch rather than 5 minutes of highlights on MOTD.

On 05/10/2020 at 13:47, m4DD0gg said:

I would say, average players...!!!  Perez 2nd season, now through this season no excuses, Nacho Now Time to prove our patience was worth it.

Both have to go up a notch, & Show they can influence & be game changers...

Normally I defend all things foxes, & will find the convenient compromises.. Though their Price tags might not be their fault, the club liked the Boxes they ticked...

We cant afford to have these 2 slipping into the Musa & Slimani catagories of wasted space, poor Scouting mis-hits...and this Vardy/Slimani Mrs complex,cant

just cant be the reason we are allowing Slimani's career und high Contract to drift...That would leave me with desperate degenerate thoughts on our best player of all time,and the immatue, unprofessional Workings of "my club"

Even when I am one of the most chilled ...I agree & sympathise whole-heartedly with your 3 transfer windows statement...

Too many easily blaming Rodgers tactics, No .!! this also  now up to players to grasp their own & Teams moment..

We simply cant afford  2 wet flannels in our pivotel  secondary partner striking roles...!

Ayrez & Nacho Jobs is to find the net..more than Maddison,Tielemans,  Praet, or Mendy,probably even more than Barnes...!

The club's job, is not to find Another Vardy, just 1-2  forwards who can keep us competing for those covetted high PL- positions.

They are not having much success since our title winning season....Managers/Coaches are not responsible for the Player investments..

We cant Live on our 2 year successful Scouting & Investment Process for ever....!!!

Now I am going back into my happy-clapper-cave & wont be having any more silly unconstructive negatives, over my beloved foxes..

This was just a one-off..:blush:

• Like 3

Just now, fuchsntf said:

I would say, average players...!!!  Perez 2nd season, now through this season no excuses, Nacho Now Time to prove our patience was worth it.

Both have to go up a notch, & Show they can influence & be game changers...

Normally I defend all things foxes, & will find the convenient compromises.. Though their Price tags might not be their fault, the club liked the Boxes they ticked...

We cant afford to have these 2 slipping into the Musa & Slimani catagories of wasted space, poor Scouting mis-hits...

and this Vardy/Slimani Mrs complex,cant  just cant be the reason we are allowing Slimani's career und high Contract to drift...

That would leave me with desperate degenerate thoughts on our best player of all time,and the immature, unprofessional Workings of "my club"

Even when I am one of the most chilled ...I agree & sympathise whole-heartedly with your 3 transfer windows statement...

Too many easily blaming Rodgers tactics, No .!! this also  now up to players to grasp their own & Teams moment..

We simply cant afford  2 wet flannels in our pivotel  secondary partner striking roles...!

Ayrez & Nacho Jobs is to find the net..more than Maddison,Tielemans,  Praet, or Mendy,probably even more than Barnes...!

The club's job, is not to find Another Vardy, just 1-2  forwards who can keep us competing for those covetted high PL- positions.

They are not having much success since our title winning season....Managers/Coaches are not responsible for the Player investments..

We cant Live on our 2 year successful scouting & investment process for ever....!!!

Now I am going back into my happy-clapper-cave & wont be having any more silly unconstructive negatives, over my beloved foxes..

This was just a one-off..:blush: