Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Luke Thomas

21 hours ago, filbertway said:

2 performances and I'm convinced this lad is at least the 2nd best left back we have already. I don't care about the mistakes, it wasn't bad decision making, it was just unfortunate. He looks a better player than Justin to me already as well, he just looks more comfortable. The biggest thing he needs is just to develop physically. I'd be happy to keep him in the squad if he's getting 10-15 starts next season. Otherwise I'd send him on loan to the highest team that wants a  left back that just needs bulking up.

I think he would walk the championship like Chilly did.

the mistakes was probably down to the pace of the game you don't get time on the ball in this league and he was caught out.

everything else he done was good though and looks like a good prospect. 

On 20/07/2020 at 09:41, Greg2607 said:

I played the majority of my footballing career as a left back, playing in the FA Cup qualifying rounds and a decent Midlands level.   Looking at Thomas, he is a real prospect.  His defensive positioning is generally good, he gets the right side of the attacker and intercepts cross field balls well. Chilwell lacks in this area as he relies on his pace to get back goalside and recover (which he can do fairly well) 

Thomas shows for the ball and takes it in tight situations, he has linked up well with Barnes and his crossing was strong.  Some nice clipped crosses and some lovely driven ones as well. 

At 19, being thrown into the 1st team and still having the confidence to try to affect the game, gives him a bright future in the game. 

personally, I think he has seized his opportunity well. for me, he is one of the most exciting prospects to come through the academy in recent years. 

Not hard when our academy has been producing Levi Porters and  Nduwku’s for however long. 

But you are right, he’s up there as a prospect with the likes of Chilwell Barnes Hamza etc! Really like the look of him.

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

Chilwell would never have spotted the assist for Perez V Sheff Utd, no doubt he would have just hoofed in a cross into an area or passed it back into midfield. 

Thomas has shown much more footballing nous than Chilwell in his couple of starts and despite the errors (the biggest error not hacking the breakaway player down for a yellow) improvements will come quickly to him with more games. 

No comparisons with Chilwell for me but what I do like is he looks around before he crosses. The Perez chest volley at Spurs was from a Thomas cross where he had a real good look before crossing. Not enough, if any, of our players do that. Even Albrighton has his head down and cross.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

No comparisons with Chilwell for me but what I do like is he looks around before he crosses. The Perez chest volley at Spurs was from a Thomas cross where he had a real good look before crossing. Not enough, if any, of our players do that. Even Albrighton has his head down and cross.

Agreed! The other one who does it is Tielemans who omhas some great assists from doing that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonthefox said:

Any word on a new contract?. 

Tanner said after Sheff Utd they were already in talks to tie him down.

I expect he'll get 5 or even 6 years in the next few weeks on much improved terms.

Contract aside, I hope the club stick with him for the start of next season. If Chilwell and/or Fuchs are looking at September/October for a return, then that gives Thomas a run of half a dozen Premier League games at the very least.

If he takes his opportunity again and hits the ground running, he stays, and we can use Fuchs at CB when needed. Or, if he struggles a bit, then Chilwell/Fuchs return from injury, and there should still be time before October 16 to get Thomas a solid loan to the Championship or elsewhere.

• Like 3

i want him to go on loan next season to a high end champ team. More of a winning mentality than a team fighting relegation from the prem. He really needs the games. Has a very promising career ahead of him if handled correctly.

4 minutes ago, MPH said:

i want him to go on loan next season to a high end champ team. More of a winning mentality than a team fighting relegation from the prem. He really needs the games. Has a very promising career ahead of him if handled correctly.

He could well get 15-20 games here next season with Europa and both cups (if they are played) and if Chilwell suffers more injury problems which is possible then he may well play many more. Only loan him out if Chilwell and Fuchs are both properly back fit but given the amount of games and Ricardo's problems meaning Justin will be on the right and not on the left then it would still be a gamble to loan him out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

He could well get 15-20 games here next season with Europa and both cups (if they are played) and if Chilwell suffers more injury problems which is possible then he may well play many more. Only loan him out if Chilwell and Fuchs are both properly back fit but given the amount of games and Ricardo's problems meaning Justin will be on the right and not on the left then it would still be a gamble to loan him out.

It would be quite the kicker for Fuchs, who agonized over wether to be away from his family for one more year ( presumably with the notion of playing some games) to then be relegated to third choice.

I would estimate Thomas getting less than 10 games next season should both be fit.  It’s too soon for him to have a genuine breakthrough season. Id rather him get 40-50 playing in the champ for a promotion chasing team.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MPH said:

It would be quite the kicker for Fuchs, who agonized over wether to be away from his family for one more year ( presumably with the notion of playing some games) to then be relegated to third choice.

I would estimate Thomas getting less than 10 games next season should both be fit.  It’s too soon for him to have a genuine breakthrough season. Id rather him get 40-50 playing in the champ for a promotion chasing team.

Fuchs is much more likely to fill in at LCB or LB if needs be but he is like Morgan and being paid handsomely to provide invaluable experience around the place rather than playing regularly.

Something very Trent Alexander Arnold about him.

Trent made a lot of mistakes when he first broke through, however you could see the quality. 

He does look different to Chilwell, however they’re both great fullbacks (potentially). Time will tell with them both. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Fuchs is much more likely to fill in at LCB or LB if needs be but he is like Morgan and being paid handsomely to provide invaluable experience around the place rather than playing regularly.

id imagine Fuchs didn’t sign a new contract just to hang around... id also imagine we will be strengthening CB position over the summer!

Time will tell! at least we both agree that  Thomas is too much of a talent to just be sent back to the U23s for all of next season!

1 hour ago, MPH said:

id imagine Fuchs didn’t sign a new contract just to hang around... id also imagine we will be strengthening CB position over the summer!

Time will tell! at least we both agree that  Thomas is too much of a talent to just be sent back to the U23s for all of next season!

Fuchs signed last summer knowing he was likely to only play if Chilwell was unavailable and the odd cup game, he knows his role and is also allowed weeks off here and there to spend time with his family back in the US.

43 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Fuchs signed last summer knowing he was likely to only play if Chilwell was unavailable and the odd cup game, he knows his role and is also allowed weeks off here and there to spend time with his family back in the US.

but he’s just re-signed for another year i believe.

And yes he’ll understand playing second fiddle but i don’t think he will be happy playing third fiddle...

We definitely shouldn't be holding back an emerging talent to spare the feelings of an aging bit part player.

Though that is the kind of mental emotional decision our club would make. Though I don't think anything will top James' 4 year contract lol

On 19/07/2020 at 20:06, Fox92 said:

I wasn’t completely listening because I was posting on here but Stringer asked about what Rodgers thought of Thomas’ performance “is it a case of putting your arm around him” but Rodgers answered well. Didn’t slate him which is good, I don’t like managers slaying players publicly.

..I am not too sure why you thought he would have publicly slate Thomas!!!

If anything Rodgers' does not "dig" his players out and to be fair he really should set down a marker of intent. Some players react to a manager questioning their application and it is a motivational tool in the managers locker.

The trick is to know the players that can handle and need this type of management otherwise you risk resentment and an unhappy atmosphere pervading the club.

10 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..I am not too sure why you thought he would have publicly slate Thomas!!!

If anything Rodgers' does not "dig" his players out and to be fair he really should set down a marker of intent. Some players react to a manager questioning their application and it is a motivational tool in the managers locker.

The trick is to know the players that can handle and need this type of management otherwise you risk resentment and an unhappy atmosphere pervading the club.

What? I said he didn't slate him publicly, which is good. I never want to see a manager publicly slate players.

I was referring more to RL who asked the question to Rodgers about Thomas' performance. That's the part I thought was wrong.

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

What? I said he didn't slate him publicly, which is good. I never want to see a manager publicly slate players.

I was referring more to RL who asked the question to Rodgers about Thomas' performance. That's the part I thought was wrong.

..if you read your original post again you will see the reason for my post!!!

If you can't be bothered here it is again:

I wasn’t completely listening because I was posting on here but Stringer asked about what Rodgers thought of Thomas’ performance “is it a case of putting your arm around him” but Rodgers answered well. Didn’t slate him which is good, I don’t like managers slaying players publicly.

My question was, why do you think he would slate him?

On 19/07/2020 at 19:33, Fox92 said:

Can't believe how much RL were going in for him. Stringer even asked Rodgers about his performance ffs.

On 19/07/2020 at 20:06, Fox92 said:

I wasn’t completely listening because I was posting on here but Stringer asked about what Rodgers thought of Thomas’ performance “is it a case of putting your arm around him” but Rodgers answered well. Didn’t slate him which is good, I don’t like managers slaying players publicly.

11 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..if you read your original post again you will see the reason for my post!!!

If you can't be bothered here it is again:

I wasn’t completely listening because I was posting on here but Stringer asked about what Rodgers thought of Thomas’ performance “is it a case of putting your arm around him” but Rodgers answered well. Didn’t slate him which is good, I don’t like managers slaying players publicly.

My question was, why do you think he would slate him?

Because, as per my original post, I said RL asked Rodgers about Thomas. Stan said what happened. I said, as above, "didn't slate him which is good".

I didn't think Rodgers would slate him because never once have I heard him slate a player publicly. Like I said, this is good as I don't want to see this from a manager.

Don't know what you're getting at. I'm not criticizing Rodgers or Thomas. I didn't think he would slate him. I just answered a question of "what was his response". His response included not slating him. End of story.

I can be bothered to re-read when someone is interrogating me over something that I didn't do. Never once did I say I thought he would slate him.

• Like 1

I think a loan would be better for him, whilst him staying with the squad would be better for us short term. From that interview in LCFC HQ, he is an attacking player first and foremost, and adapted to being a leftback. That means that positionally and mentally, he still probably has a lot to learn, and I really think that's the sort of thing that can only come with a lot of practice and experience with competitive football. 40-50 games in the Championship would allow him to make his mistakes and figure out how to stop making them, in a much less punishing environment than competing with 3 other senior players in the leftback position.

On the other hand, that fantastic crossing ability would certainly come in of benefit to unlock certain defences next season, but he probably wouldn't get enough time or enough games in a row to really work on the part of his game that seems to need it most. So it's probably in our long term interests to send him on loan next season (especially whilst we still have a capable left back deputy in Fuchs).

• Like 1

Honestly I think this lad is to good to even loan out.

He has played 2 games in the Premier league and only made 1 or 2 mistakes.

Looks great going forward and puts in some fantastic crosses.

If Chillwell leaves then I wouldnt be fussed if we didn't sign another LB because JJ can play there aswel.

Another note we should buy Max Aaron's from Norwich as a ration to Ricardo. He is going to have a great future ahead of him

• Like 1