Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Luke Thomas

With the 55 or so games we'll have next season we'll need two left backs, so I'd keep him here rather than loaning him out. Depends on how much we're gonna want Fuchs to be playing, and where (CB or LB), for me Thomas would be perfect in the earlier rounds of Europe and earlier rounds of cups, with the odd couple of Prem appearances thrown in too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nnickn said:

We have to stop deluding ourselves as to Fuchs and Morgan being able deputies or back up. For a wannabee top 4 club they are not.

They can come in and perform great against a certain kind of opposition, as proved brilliantly by Morgan a couple of games ago.

Unfortunately you do not get pick when injuries and suspensions occur,and Sunday is not the game for Morgan, Dashford and Martial are going to just bypass him with their speed 

Morgan must be praying that Rogers plays both Hamza and Ndidi to try and slow the tempo down, because if the game is played at any kind of pace, with our injury list we have very little chance on Sunday.

The club would not have given Fuchs and Morgan new contracts if they were not able deputies.

Look at cover left-backs at the top clubs. Liverpool don't have one, before they had Moreno. Man City have Zinchenko (a midfielder). United have a kid (Williams). Spurs had Danny Rose and now have Sessegnon or Tanganga. Chelsea have Emerson who doesn't get a game. Bang average players. Fuchs has been very good this season when called upon, in fact in some games I think he's been better than 2015-16.

4th choice CBs are similarly difficult to have quality players in, unless you are rotating regularly like Manchester City. Phil Jones, Dejan Lovren, Juan Foyth, Fikayo Tomori, Rob Holding. Some of these players have had shocking seasons year after year, but they stay because they can do a decent job every so often and won't complain that they aren't starting over the top players in their position. Morgan brings you off field experience and he has improved on the pitch since 2016 undoubtedly.

Real life football isn't FIFA, where you recruit a squad of U21s with 99 potential, and where a player's ability drops like a stone when they hit 30. Also, pace and physical ability is nowhere near as important in today's Premier League as it used to be, IMO, and even then Morgan and Fuchs would probably beat most average folk in a race.

The club have not experienced an injury crisis like this since Pearson brought his sports science lot in 12 years ago. Us and Wolves have by far the best injury record over the past 2 seasons in the division.

There seems to be far too many here that think the club have chucked 100k/week+ at two very good players for them to not get a kick all season. It's just stupidity. And a 'wannabe top 4 club' we might be, but we haven't got the resources to go out and pay £30m for cover players even if that was realistic.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I think a loan would be better for him, whilst him staying with the squad would be better for us short term. From that interview in LCFC HQ, he is an attacking player first and foremost, and adapted to being a leftback. That means that positionally and mentally, he still probably has a lot to learn, and I really think that's the sort of thing that can only come with a lot of practice and experience with competitive football. 40-50 games in the Championship would allow him to make his mistakes and figure out how to stop making them, in a much less punishing environment than competing with 3 other senior players in the leftback position.

On the other hand, that fantastic crossing ability would certainly come in of benefit to unlock certain defences next season, but he probably wouldn't get enough time or enough games in a row to really work on the part of his game that seems to need it most. So it's probably in our long term interests to send him on loan next season (especially whilst we still have a capable left back deputy in Fuchs).

Makes perfect sense, although I do think we’ll need him next season. So it might actually be more beneficial for him to stay here. 

He might be good for one of the relegated teams, in an effort to come back up.

Edited by Sly
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

The club would not have given Fuchs and Morgan new contracts if they were not able deputies.

Look at cover left-backs at the top clubs. Liverpool don't have one, before they had Moreno. Man City have Zinchenko (a midfielder). United have a kid (Williams). Spurs had Danny Rose and now have Sessegnon or Tanganga. Chelsea have Emerson who doesn't get a game. Bang average players. Fuchs has been very good this season when called upon, in fact in some games I think he's been better than 2015-16.

4th choice CBs are similarly difficult to have quality players in, unless you are rotating regularly like Manchester City. Phil Jones, Dejan Lovren, Juan Foyth, Fikayo Tomori, Rob Holding. Some of these players have had shocking seasons year after year, but they stay because they can do a decent job every so often and won't complain that they aren't starting over the top players in their position. Morgan brings you off field experience and he has improved on the pitch since 2016 undoubtedly.

Real life football isn't FIFA, where you recruit a squad of U21s with 99 potential, and where a player's ability drops like a stone when they hit 30. Also, pace and physical ability is nowhere near as important in today's Premier League as it used to be, IMO, and even then Morgan and Fuchs would probably beat most average folk in a race.

The club have not experienced an injury crisis like this since Pearson brought his sports science lot in 12 years ago. Us and Wolves have by far the best injury record over the past 2 seasons in the division.

There seems to be far too many here that think the club have chucked 100k/week+ at two very good players for them to not get a kick all season. It's just stupidity. And a 'wannabe top 4 club' we might be, but we haven't got the resources to go out and pay £30m for cover players even if that was realistic.

Who are the two £100k a week players you are referring to?

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Who are the two £100k a week players you are referring to?

100k combined for the two, I'd imagine. Always guesswork but I don't imagine either have taken significant pay cuts to stay on and both got hefty new deals after the title win.

On 22/07/2020 at 17:54, nnickn said:

We have to stop deluding ourselves as to Fuchs and Morgan being able deputies or back up. For a wannabee top 4 club they are not.

They can come in and perform great against a certain kind of opposition, as proved brilliantly by Morgan a couple of games ago.

Unfortunately you do not get pick when injuries and suspensions occur,and Sunday is not the game for Morgan, Dashford and Martial are going to just bypass him with their speed 

Morgan must be praying that Rogers plays both Hamza and Ndidi to try and slow the tempo down, because if the game is played at any kind of pace, with our injury list we have very little chance on Sunday.

You talk a lot sense here. Wes is great when you are facing with an 'air-force' team like the Blades, Burnley and Watford.  But against mobility and speed and where being dragged into playing a high-line (i.e. last Sunday), this really is not a solution that is likely to work.  The other negative is, other players will be looking to cover this lack of speed which detracts them from their other duties during the match.  Last week surely demonstrates the players that cannot cope with mobility?

BR has some big and possible brave decisions to make for Sunday, but that is what he is paid for.  Having said this, he will be blamed whatever if we play badly and get found-out.

I like him enough to keep him on and not loan him out. He is a tidy little player, still areas to improve obviously, but I would actually prefer him over Fuchs. He will develop into a very tidy player over the years. Keep hold of this one. 

• Like 1

I think we keep him here at least until the winter transfer window. If his game time has dropped off by then, loan him out to get minutes under his belt. This is all dependent on how well Chilwell and Ricardo recover from their injuries and whether we keep hold of them, of course.

I like him though. He seemed to win a lot of defensive headers in the Sheffield United game and his passing and crossing are already excellent. In an ideal scenario I'd like to see him get a few cup games and the odd league game next season to keep Chilwell fresh, then promote him full time when he's ready.

• Like 1

Still a lot of room to improve but he has been thrown in at the extreme deep end and still hasn't looked at all out of place.

Will be interesting next season dependent on Chilwell's status. As good as Thomas has seemed, can't imagine him every week at present against some of the wide players in this league. Its the kind of league where even the smallest of mistakes get punished - as he will have seen at Tottenham.

1 minute ago, adejo92 said:

Still a lot of room to improve but he has been thrown in at the extreme deep end and still hasn't looked at all out of place.

Will be interesting next season dependent on Chilwell's status. As good as Thomas has seemed, can't imagine him every week at present against some of the wide players in this league. Its the kind of league where even the smallest of mistakes get punished - as he will have seen at Tottenham.

Ben who?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, majaco said:

Put him and Dewsbury-Hall in a squad of 27

Right now, we don't have enough "home grown" players to fill a UEFA 25 man squad, even fewer if Chilwell leaves. (No including possible over 21 players in our U23 team being added for makeweight.) There is also that consideration. Brendan says he likes a small squad, though.

13 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Right now, we don't have enough "home grown" players to fill a UEFA 25 man squad, even fewer if Chilwell leaves. (No including possible over 21 players in our U23 team being added for makeweight.) There is also that consideration. Brendan says he likes a small squad, though.

Chilwell, Barnes, Choudhury and Josh Knight/Dewsbury-Hall would be the 4 you’d have thought 

2 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

So our incoming should address this.  

2 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Vardy, Albrighton, Maddison, Justin, Evans, Gray if we retain,, Schmeicel, Ward

Barnes, Chilwell, Choudhury.  Maybe Knight.  

We are okay for home grown players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Chilwell, Barnes, Choudhury and Josh Knight/Dewsbury-Hall would be the 4 you’d have thought 

Not if Knight and Dewsbury-Hall (who I admit I thought was younger!) go on loan, as is rumored. But if Knight and/or he stays and fights for their place, then, yep. Although I thought this fact might be worth a few extra £££ if Chilwell goes...

1 minute ago, majaco said:

Vardy, Albrighton, Maddison, Justin, Evans, Gray if we retain,, Schmeicel, Ward

Barnes, Chilwell, Choudhury.  Maybe Knight.  

We are okay for home grown players.

UEFA requires four homegrown players be from the club's youth system -- so that top line is out. I had forgotten about Knight supposedly wanting to skip a loan and fight for his place (although Blackwell seems to think he has no real future at the club) and thought Dewsbury-Hall was a year younger. 

7 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

UEFA requires four homegrown players be from the club's youth system -- so that top line is out. I had forgotten about Knight supposedly wanting to skip a loan and fight for his place (although Blackwell seems to think he has no real future at the club) and thought Dewsbury-Hall was a year younger. 

No they don't......only half

Off the UEFA website;

UEFA defines locally-trained or 'homegrown' players as those who, regardless of their nationality, have been trained by their club or by another club in the same national association for at least three years between the age of 15 and 21. Up to half of the locally-trained players must be from the club itself, with the others being either from the club itself or from other clubs in the same association.

Edited by coolhandfox