Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Luke Thomas

Aside from being caught out arially in wide areas i think he did well today, very slick passing. Hopefully he learns his lesson and doesnt commit himself to winning duels like he did and stands off the opponent instead. It's better that he makes these mistakes in pre season and i think it's a fairly easy situation to avoid in the future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, honeybradger said:

Aside from being caught out arially in wide areas i think he did well today, very slick passing. Hopefully he learns his lesson and doesnt commit himself to winning duels like he did and stands off the opponent instead. It's better that he makes these mistakes in pre season and i think it's a fairly easy situation to avoid in the future.

Going forward he is already so composed, I know we can't necessarily afford for him to learn on the job in the PL but we did that with Chilwell under Puel and the team were able to cope. I think there will be a time and a place for Thomas to play 15-20 games for us next season in all competitions and that's fine. Got a great future. 

One day he might play for us with a full strength defence and midfield around him and that will aid his development too....

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

He’s a good prospect but nowhere near ready. 

He's raw and not polished as a fully fledged PL player but to say he's league one standard is a mockery. Chilwell found the Championship a doddle at a similar age and they are cut from the same cloth. He would find the Championship a level that he could perform in, I've no concern there. His attacking prowess would be even more evident, I think if we can afford to loan him out then that would be great but he is likely needed here.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, honeybradger said:

I genuinely misread that on first look 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's raw and not polished as a fully fledged PL player but to say he's league one standard is a mockery. Chilwell found the Championship a doddle at a similar age and they are cut from the same cloth. He would find the Championship a level that he could perform in, I've no concern there. His attacking prowess would be even more evident, I think if we can afford to loan him out then that would be great but he is likely needed here.

He's not ready for the Premiership but not that far away either. H'ed never last the pace in the Premiership id playing regularly.

Which is why a loan is best for him and for us.  He needs to build his physic, get strength into his legs and expand his lungs.Along with improving his positional sense.  All of which will happen naturally if playing regularly in the Championship. All young players need that experience to better understand whats expected of them.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

People are ranting and raving over Knight and KDH like they’re Maldini and Pirlo and they literally are League One standard, so there’s nothing wrong in being League One standard. 

20 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

People are ranting and raving over Knight and KDH like they’re Maldini and Pirlo and they literally are League One standard, so there’s nothing wrong in being League One standard. 

Both have experience out on loan.  Knight made mistakes but Thomas was a bit exposed.  Dewsbury-Hall benefits from being further up the pitch; any errors are less scary.  Knight is hopefully back up, Thomas is being lauded as potentially first choice.

What people need to realise is that Thomas is already looking better/at a higher level than chilwell did when he was first starting regularly. Yes I would love us to sign a quality left back. But we could and have done worse than Thomas. I sense the thought behind buying a right back that can play at left back may have been to try Thomas there a fair bit and if it didn’t work we would have cover.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dooflip said:

What people need to realise is that Thomas is already looking better/at a higher level than chilwell did when he was first starting regularly. Yes I would love us to sign a quality left back. But we could and have done worse than Thomas. I sense the thought behind buying a right back that can play at left back may have been to try Thomas there a fair bit and if it didn’t work we would have cover.

I don't think Castagne came here to be cover.  Being behind Hateboer is one thing but second fiddle to a young academy player is quite another.  He'll play while Thomas develops.

Edited by murphy

3 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

KDH isnt league 1 standard lol he scored 1 in every 2 games there whilst playing as a 6, you can argue championship level as he hasnt proven himself there yet but saying he's league 1 level when he's already bossed it there ruins your point.

11 minutes ago, Tuna said:

lol Looks accomplished in Premier League games yet he's now league one standard because of one sub par performance in a friendly.

He has done some good things.  Blackburn targeted him today successfully.  Blackburn are championship standard.  Thomas is a great prospect but in my opinion  isn't ready for regular premier league football.  My opinion  is not based on today's match only.

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Going forward he is already so composed, I know we can't necessarily afford for him to learn on the job in the PL but we did that with Chilwell under Puel and the team were able to cope. I think there will be a time and a place for Thomas to play 15-20 games for us next season in all competitions and that's fine. Got a great future. 

One day he might play for us with a full strength defence and midfield around him and that will aid his development too....

Yes I agree with that too. Being in and around the first team in training with the odd match or suitable substitute appearance has to be good. I think Chilwell's introduction by Puel is a great analogy. Clearly he's not the finished article and is easy to see yet there are so many positive aspects to his game. Being around much better players constantly, making mistakes with and learning from them at a higher level has got to be good. We have a  considerable number of players who will cause him considerable problems and give him a steep learning curve. I am sometimes very critical of our manager but I do feel that this is one of those decisions that I would certainly trust his judgement on and that of his team.

People massively underrated Chilly's aerial dominance so we're not used to seeing us getting beaten by lofted balls over to the left.

Thomas is still learning. He's played barely a handful of senior games and already looks good. As others have said, it's good he's being targeted like this in pre-season - gives him something to work on.

Rotating and keeping our full/wing backs fresh this season will be key. JJ, Castagne, Ricardo and Thomas will all get plenty of game time.

For what it's worth, I think JJ will probably start the season at left back.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

KDH isnt league 1 standard lol he scored 1 in every 2 games there whilst playing as a 6, you can argue championship level as he hasnt proven himself there yet but saying he's league 1 level when he's already bossed it there ruins your point.

What division was he playing he in last season though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thoughts on his performance last night? Defensively sound, going forward wasn't as standout as previous but pleased to see him positional being a bit better against a capable Arsenal midfield and attack. Will be a useful squad player for EL and the PL when the games come thick and fast.

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Thoughts on his performance last night? Defensively sound, going forward wasn't as standout as previous but pleased to see him positional being a bit better against a capable Arsenal midfield and attack. Will be a useful squad player for EL and the PL when the games come thick and fast.

He takes up some interesting positions in the final third, quite often he ended up in quite a narrow position. With his passing ability it could be fruitful 

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Can see him developing into a Fuchs esque type of fullback. Defensively solid but also intelligent when going forward. 

As he gains more experience I think we’ll have a well balanced fullback on our hands, similar to Fuchs in his prime.

Edited by Shane
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

One thing I like about him that may have gone unnoticed is that although he's still got quite a bit of physical development to go he's actually quite robust and determined and it's a struggle to knock him off the ball. There were a couple of senior players who could have taken a leaf out his book in that regard the other night. In football a lot of the time it's not about inherent strength but determination.

Haha, Mr Maddison being the main culprit. I don't think I've seen a player lose so much possession for diving before, it's embarassing.

On Thomas, he still looks a proper player. He'll slip right into the team when needed no problem.

• Like 3