Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Luke Thomas

Got done by the one-two a couple of times but most full backs do these days. Wasn't really tested by the long ball as it isn't Arsenal's style. I thought he was solid enough and has got the makings of really good player. difficult decision as to what to do with him this season, we have Fuchs as back up so I'd be considering loaning him out with a recall option if required. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still not convinced on Thomas. His technical ability on the ball is good, yet if he is put under pressure he tends to lose the ball and on occasions last night he did so when on the halfway line. He's good at reading the game and positional awareness is far better that chillwell's was. I'm not sure he has the pace and athleticism and height though for a strong enough wing back at this level and I still think he needs a season long loan in the championship first.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2020 at 11:19, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Difference is that Chilwell is capable of controlling a ball with his right foot though even if he can do naff all else with it. Thomas is suspect and susceptible to miscontrolling when it comes onto his right, his balance in that sense needs to be improved. You can get away with this at some levels but not the PL. He can work on it and will need to before he becomes a regular for us. 

You seem to have forgotten some of Ben’s control. Plenty of times we saw him take a poor touch, or simply run the ball into touch.  

6 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Should anyone be convinced by him yet? He's 19 and only played about 5 senior games in his life. He looks promising and is demonstrably good enough to get in the squad. Injuries have promoted him to the team prematurely. He looks raw and has mistakes in him, which is completely expected

To be throwing him into EL games with the limited 1st team games is a mistake for me personally. I wrote about these issues for Thomas at the back end of last season and I see the same mistakes in his game now whether natural or unnatural. I agree that it is premature and that if we had got a couple more players in the transfer window then maybe we'd have been able to loan him out this year. Let's see how he develops this year.

• Sad 1

I thought Thomas did fine last night - the delivery he put in at the start of the second half was so good, even Vardy got caught on his heels. He's clearly got something about him and he's been chucked in at the deep end in every appearance for us - Sheffield United, Spurs, Man United, Europa League away tie - and he's always come out with relatively good to glowing reviews. 

I do think he needs to go out on loan though - I imagine he will do if Ricardo and Castagne recover from their injuries well and we don't pick up any new ones before the January window. A run of regular games will do him wonders. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I'm still not convinced on Thomas. His technical ability on the ball is good, yet if he is put under pressure he tends to lose the ball and on occasions last night he did so when on the halfway line. He's good at reading the game and positional awareness is far better that chillwell's was. I'm not sure he has the pace and athleticism and height though for a strong enough wing back at this level and I still think he needs a season long loan in the championship first.

Totally agree, he makes a habit of losing the ball under pressure in dangerous areas, usually when forced to use his right foot, and it will cost us if we keep playing him, needs to further develop and iron out the weaknesses before we consider him for the first team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/09/2020 at 10:10, filbertway said:

Haha, Mr Maddison being the main culprit. I don't think I've seen a player lose so much possession for diving before, it's embarassing.

On Thomas, he still looks a proper player. He'll slip right into the team when needed no problem.

Its not just me shouting "****ing get up Maddison" at the TV then? Much as I love him as an lcfc player, I do cringe at some of his more ridiculous falling over exploits. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

To be throwing him into EL games with the limited 1st team games is a mistake for me personally. I wrote about these issues for Thomas at the back end of last season and I see the same mistakes in his game now whether natural or unnatural. I agree that it is premature and that if we had got a couple more players in the transfer window then maybe we'd have been able to loan him out this year. Let's see how he develops this year.

Or would you prefer we risk keeping Fuchs on who could've taken a knock and had he played on could've been out for longer? 

We don't have the depth with these injuries to not give people a chance. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cameron Davidson said:

He's left now though, that makes him the best player ever and the saviour to all our problems :D

Hahhaaa. Tbh I did like Ben but he was frustrating as hell at times. I think he will do well at Chelsea but feel we have once again upgraded. 

6 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

Its not just me shouting "****ing get up Maddison" at the TV then? Much as I love him as an lcfc player, I do cringe at some of his more ridiculous falling over exploits. 

Haha nope, him and Justin have been annoying me recently with it. Bloody english, ruining out game! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

Little or no chance right now to loan him out. 

We were down to a final back up fit defender last night. I actually thought it was a wise move bringing off Fuchs. 

Where I thought Rodgers made an error was having Justin and Thomas lined up together in the back line 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Should anyone be convinced by him yet? He's 19 and only played about 5 senior games in his life. He looks promising and is demonstrably good enough to get in the squad. Injuries have promoted him to the team prematurely. He looks raw and has mistakes in him, which is completely expected

To be fair, on first impressions there's one attribute he seems to noticeably lack that doesn't tend to really come from experience or practice, you either have it or you don't. Pace. 

If he had JJ's athleticism, I reckon Rodgers would have played him a fair bit more already. 

He's got one of the best crosses I've ever seen on a kid his age, he's really got fantastic technique with a very accurate, pacey whip on the ball. It's great. He also seems to have fairly good vision and can pick our a pass. Bit like a pound shop Joshua Kimmich. 

But he does look a bit worryingly slow so far. I appreciate that's something you can improve, but only really moderately, a slow player doesn't just become a quick one. 

I can't think of many currently successful full backs in the Premier League who are noticeably lacking in pace to be honest? Certainly not at decent top half clubs. 

Absolutely by no means writing him off and people shouldn't take this overboard, I'm not saying he's a useless donkey and we should give up now. Like I said, just a first impression that's a bit concerning. 

• Like 3

Great prospect. The injuries we've got could benefit him in seeing more playing time, which is what he needs, and could really come on as a player. We've seen how much more confident Justin seems since he came in, not the finished product, but not looking out of place either. 

• Like 1

He's a player for the future. Clearly if we didn't have the injury issues he wouldn't be getting as much game time as he's had, but you can understand why Fuchs had to be subbed out. If you do have to draw on one of your younger players to supplement the squad, he's not exactly a bad option to have. Being able to develop our U23s to be able to contribute to the first team when needed is so important if we are going to be able to sustain the league and Europa. 

• Like 3

This lad has some real quality - that ball for Vardy was ridiculous. Obviously, he’s got a long way to go and he’ll need to work extremely hard, but I have high hopes that he’ll be a strong player for us. The only thing that might hold him back is that he doesn’t have that electric pace that left backs often have in the modern game. However, I think he could potentially play in a few positions given how good he looks to be on the ball.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

To be fair, on first impressions there's one attribute he seems to noticeably lack that doesn't tend to really come from experience or practice, you either have it or you don't. Pace. 

If he had JJ's athleticism, I reckon Rodgers would have played him a fair bit more already. 

He's got one of the best crosses I've ever seen on a kid his age, he's really got fantastic technique with a very accurate, pacey whip on the ball. It's great. He also seems to have fairly good vision and can pick our a pass. Bit like a pound shop Joshua Kimmich. 

But he does look a bit worryingly slow so far. I appreciate that's something you can improve, but only really moderately, a slow player doesn't just become a quick one. 

I can't think of many currently successful full backs in the Premier League who are noticeably lacking in pace to be honest? Certainly not at decent top half clubs. 

Absolutely by no means writing him off and people shouldn't take this overboard, I'm not saying he's a useless donkey and we should give up now. Like I said, just a first impression that's a bit concerning. 

I remember Babs saying that Barnes didn't have the pace to make it as a winger in the Prem. Can't say I've noticed it yet tbh, will have to pay attention to it next time he plays.

Agree his passing is outrageous. Quite strong in the tackle too. He needs to develop some pace and positioning as well as his confidence. Could do with a Chilwell type easing him in over time.