Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

3 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

I'd love to see West Ham go down. Dodgy owners and Olympic stadium deal don't deserve to be in the top flight

West Ham are due another stint in the Championship. They're stinking up the Premier League the way Sunderland used to.

Who'd of thought if you sign average players, you'll have an average squad? I'm sorry but the players spurs have signed this season are completely bang average and don't address any of their flaws. No wonder they got turned over today. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, surrifox said:

I’ll be distraught if Everton finish above us . Part of the enjoyment in following football is watching these perpetual underperforming and useless wasters flirt with relegation and finish bottom half . 

Never have I read a post where every single word is exactly my sentiment. 

Goodison (pre covid) is a wonderful gallery of booze addled, pock marked faces of parents and pale, vitamin deficient kids ...all bewildered that their expensively assembled press hyped  team scrapes a 1-1 home draw to Norwich. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Never have I read a post where every single word is exactly my sentiment. 

Goodison (pre covid) is a wonderful gallery of booze addled, pock marked faces of parents and pale, vitamin deficient kids ...all bewildered that their expensively assembled press hyped  team scrapes a 1-1 home draw to Norwich. 

I've got no real hatred of Everton but I agree that I want to see them fail. 2020 has already been a year of uncertainty and change so Everton suddenly becoming World beaters is a step too far. 

34 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Everton have bought really good in this transfer, Carlo Ancelotti knows what type  of player he wants. James Rodriguez's passing was sublime yesterday Tottenham's midfield couldn't cope with him. £12million for Rodriguez seems like the buy of the season.

For me what is clever is that they balanced his signing by bringing in both Docoure and Allan. When Ancelotti was coach of Milan they had two of the best technicians in Europe with Kaka and Pirlo, but he balanced that with Gattuso and Seedorf who had amazing energy, and kept their midfield narrow so that their fullbacks could overlap. It meant that Kaka and Pirlo had more freedom to play but they were still tight defensively. Gattuso famously was there to help Pirlo out. He's effectively giving James the licence to be a bit lazy because he's got two players that can cover for him, meaning he can do what he does best. This is why some players are great for some teams but poor for others - at Real and Bayern they were never going to let him have that much freedom because there were bigger stars in the team.

But I think they may still struggle with the sheer volume of games that all teams need to play this season, though that will apply to everyone. But on paper it's probably the strongest Everton have looked in the Premier League era. Even though they finished 4th with Moyes, that was an attritional team, whereas this one has good technical players that can play. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Not a good opening round for the promoted clubs with a combined total of 10 goals shipped. Welcome to the Premier League. 

First time all the promoted sides lost the opening game since 2013 I think. Palace, Hull and Cardiff. 

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

For me what is clever is that they balanced his signing by bringing in both Docoure and Allan. When Ancelotti was coach of Milan they had two of the best technicians in Europe with Kaka and Pirlo, but he balanced that with Gattuso and Seedorf who had amazing energy, and kept their midfield narrow so that their fullbacks could overlap. It meant that Kaka and Pirlo had more freedom to play but they were still tight defensively. Gattuso famously was there to help Pirlo out. He's effectively giving James the licence to be a bit lazy because he's got two players that can cover for him, meaning he can do what he does best. This is why some players are great for some teams but poor for others - at Real and Bayern they were never going to let him have that much freedom because there were bigger stars in the team.

But I think they may still struggle with the sheer volume of games that all teams need to play this season, though that will apply to everyone. But on paper it's probably the strongest Everton have looked in the Premier League era. Even though they finished 4th with Moyes, that was an attritional team, whereas this one has good technical players that can play. 

Great post, I don't follow football from the continent so I don't know alot about the teams and their playing styles, your knowledge and understanding is excellent

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Some of those replies really are funny. 
"Has he scored any of those in a champions league final?"

Completely ignoring the fact that it's premier league goals. 

Chelsea fans are weird. Since they've started winning stuff they like to compare what other players have won in arguments. Yet they love players like Zola, rightly so tbf, but also consider players like that won only a couple FA Cups because Chelsea weren't backed then. Do they forget about that?

Edited by Fox92

Mourinho complaining about a lack of pressing from the front is strange to me.

He has a point and it's one of the reasons I don't like Kane as an option for England. It never has been his game. 

But it's kind of like a lactose intolerant complaining about stomach cramps after devouring a main of cheese on toast followed by milk and choccy biscs for dessert.  

Drop him if that's the problem. 

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Mourinho complaining about a lack of pressing from the front is strange to me.

He has a point and it's one of the reasons I don't like Kane as an option for England. It never has been his game. 

But it's kind of like a lactose intolerant complaining about stomach cramps after devouring a main of cheese on toast followed by milk and choccy biscs for dessert.  

Drop him if that's the problem. 

He won’t drop him, he has stated many times Kane is irreplaceable, have Spurs even got another striker? 

33 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Sorry if it’s already been said but I have just noticed that Man Utd played Villa in a preseason friendly on Saturday, if they could play that then surely they could have played their league game against Burnley 

It wasn’t the clubs decision it was one made by the premier league.

Made even more farcical by the fact a lot of the players had to play international football beforehand with the Nations League games so it’s not as if they could have a rest anyway!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

He won’t drop him, he has stated many times Kane is irreplaceable, have Spurs even got another striker? 

Could play Lucas there.

Just find it amazing that he can in one breath blame lack of pressing and in another call Kane irreplaceable.

It can be difficult to argue with the stats of Kane but I just don't enjoy football matches he plays in. Don't like his style. Doesn't help that he's such an unlikeable character.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, twister said:

Another point to be added

the media going mental because leeds only lost by one goal on saturday,I do find find.

If their this big club why are people treating them like plucky underdogs for losing by one. They lost end of story.

Because its their first game in the Premier league, against one of the best Premier leagues ever, and they gave as good as they got? The Leeds hatred precedes my interest in football, as they've largely been irrelevant for the last 17 years or so, but I think our lads will be in for a big shock when we play against them in a month or so. They're a very good, and very intense team. Wouldn't write them off, as they'll put more pressure on us than most teams.