Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

http://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12301133/thomas-tuchel-chelsea-know-they-can-beat-man-city-in-champions-league-final

Look at this for comparison. I like Tuchel.

Tuchel: We are good enough and we will win.

If it was Rodgers, he would be giving himself an out and excuse for his team, to say something like: “We are still a young team. I have only been here a few months. My aim is to improve the team and get some stability back. I have done that. We have a lot of players in their early 20s so it will be good experience for them.”  Ok, you can say this is media stuff, relieving pressure on team, but combined with what we said in the threads above about the “safety first” mentality he is instilling into players, you begin to get inside his mentality.  Tuchel on the other hand doesn’t give himself or the team an excuse.  Pearson hits you hard.  Rodgers would be happy if his team “controls” the game. He is still learning as a coach, but this is costing us now (and last season).

Edited by Tom12345

1 minute ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

Let's be real this team is not mentally strong enough to finish in the top 4.

Said it before we need to count on other teams to lose.

Sadly I think they will not.

I don’t like this we need to count on other teams to lose.

We don’t, everything is still in our hands - If we beat Man Utd and Spurs and draw with Chelsea there is nothing anyone else can do!

That will be tough, but very doable - Man Utd, who knows what team they will put out, if they win against Villa they are mathematically certain to qualify for the Champions League and have a Europa League final to prepare players for. 
Spurs are very beatable as proven today.

We also play better against teams who don’t stick 11 behind the ball, no way do any of the teams we’ve played do that.

Newcastle was a shocking performance, make no mistakes, but it’s far from all over as some on here would suggest.

We talk about mentality of our players, but reading the comments the mentality of our support base is weak as shit!

We really do undervalue ourselves and overvalue those around us!

Back the lads!

If we win our next 4 games this is the second greatest season in our history and the way some go one you’d think it was Peter Taylor’s relegation season all over again.

• Like 4

Will never understand how our own fans are writing us off with 3 games to go against teams we have actually beaten this season. I'll just have to chalk it off to coping mechanisms to deal with the stress of it all. lol

But seriously, some of the abuse thrown at the manager and team in recent weeks has been appalling. If we do finish in the top 4, none of you are invited to Vardy's party! :cheers:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I don’t like this we need to count on other teams to lose.

We don’t, everything is still in our hands - If we beat Man Utd and Spurs and draw with Chelsea there is nothing anyone else can do!

That will be tough, but very doable - Man Utd, who knows what team they will put out, if they win against Villa they are mathematically certain to qualify for the Champions League and have a Europa League final to prepare players for. 
Spurs are very beatable as proven today.

We also play better against teams who don’t stick 11 behind the ball, no way do any of the teams we’ve played do that.

Newcastle was a shocking performance, make no mistakes, but it’s far from all over as some on here would suggest.

We talk about mentality of our players, but reading the comments the mentality of our support base is weak as shit!

We really do undervalue ourselves and overvalue those around us!

Back the lads!

If we win our next 4 games this is the second greatest season in our history and the way some go one you’d think it was Peter Taylor’s relegation season all over again.

It is in our hands.

I just don't have confidence in the squad and BR.

Don't get me wrong I will be supporting them on the day but I need to be truthful with myself, I don't see us doing it

Hope I'm proven wrong.

Southampton and Newcastle was our chance to go into theses last games with less pressure but we messed it up.

Can this team handle pressure? We are about to find out but last season we couldn't.

Edited by Vindaloo FOX

Just now, Vindaloo FOX said:

It is in our hands.

I just don't have confidence in the squad and BR.

Don't get me wrong I will be supporting them on the day but I need to be truthful with myself, I don't see us doing it

Hope I'm proven wrong.

Southampton and Newcastle was out chance to go into theses last games with less pressure but we messed it up.

Can this team handle pressure? We are about to find out but last season we couldn't.

The difference this season is we have had a couple of big games Man Utd and Southampton in the FA Cup were huge games and we handled the pressure perfectly.

We turn up against Man Utd like we did in the FA Cup and we turn them over again.

Remember our club moto is ‘Keep the Faith’

I’m still confident we will do it!

7 hours ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

Let's be real this team is not mentally strong enough to finish in the top 4.

Said it before we need to count on other teams to lose.

Sadly I think they will not.

I think previous squads had less talent, less skill but what they lacked in that department they made up for in grit, determination and fight.

The current crop (as a collective) have more talent and skill, more than we ever thought we'd see play for this club - they still have a long way to go mind if their desires are set higher than this club, still too many silly mistakes, still too sloppy and above all weak mentality when they've got to dig in.

Ideally you want a good a balance of both - hard to do I appreciate.

I said a few weeks ago around the Covid breaches, we currently have quite a few unlikeable characters in our squad and I don't mean that as in they're nasty - I'd appreciate a few nasty players, what I mean is pretty boy, playboys, who shy away when the going get tough.

But I guess have these talented, skilfull players in, who like things all rosy but aren't so keen on getting their hands dirty is what comes with the territory of success.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Will never understand how our own fans are writing us off with 3 games to go against teams we have actually beaten this season. I'll just have to chalk it off to coping mechanisms to deal with the stress of it all. lol

But seriously, some of the abuse thrown at the manager and team in recent weeks has been appalling. If we do finish in the top 4, none of you are invited to Vardy's party! :cheers:

It’s because we have looked terrible. It’s hard to imagine picking anything up in the next three games when you have the last two for context.

Throw what happened last season into the mix, and Evans injury, and I think people fearing the worst is completely understandable.

8 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

http://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12301133/thomas-tuchel-chelsea-know-they-can-beat-man-city-in-champions-league-final

Look at this for comparison. I like Tuchel.

Tuchel: We are good enough and we will win.

If it was Rodgers, he would be giving himself an out and excuse for his team, to say something like: “We are still a young team. I have only been here a few months. My aim is to improve the team and get some stability back. I have done that. We have a lot of players in their early 20s so it will be good experience for them.”  Ok, you can say this is media stuff, relieving pressure on team, but combined with what we said in the threads above about the “safety first” mentality he is instilling into players, you begin to get inside his mentality.  Tuchel on the other hand doesn’t give himself or the team an excuse.  Pearson hits you hard.  Rodgers would be happy if his team “controls” the game. He is still learning as a coach, but this is costing us now (and last season).

To be honest if he says we can best Chelsea and we will he will be accused of arrogance. Tuchel can say that as he has a £300m assembled squad. But I do wish sometimes Rodgers didn't play us down so much. He did it last season too  if we want to grow as a club we need to learn how to be favourites and the pressure of being favourites. We can't have the underdog tag forever and the "little Leicester" mentality.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I don't get how we can be seemingly strong enough mentally to stay in the top 4 and then mentally weak to not finish it, despite still being there with 3 games to go.

Totally off topic, but I'm glad you changed profile picture. There's another poster who had the same as your previous one, and lets just say his posts weren't up to your usual standard, and I kept thinking it was you lol

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Totally off topic, but I'm glad you changed profile picture. There's another poster who had the same as your previous one, and lets just say his posts weren't up to your usual standard, and I kept thinking it was you lol

@sishades has the same. Maybe that's why @Col city fan got confused. I'll take the apology whenever :ph34r:

Also, thank @Finnegan because he was thinking the same as you yesterday. 

Can the fans who say we've got no mental resilience able to explain why we are the 2nd best team in the league for points won from losing positions? Or is that not how you measure the ability to cope with pressure?

• Like 1

People writing us off are just making themselves feel better if it happens and preparing for the worst. Natural Leicester fan behaviour.

Recent evidence is not looking good in terms of getting it done ourselves. But it's still in our hands. Chasing back can't afford any slip ups really, hopefully Everton can bore enough to at least get a point today. 

• Like 1

Right I’ve got it. Brendan is trying to get sacked so he can walk in to the Spurs job and we’ll all sigh with relief. Obvious. Then of course we’ll get Howe as manager, or some other dross. It’s a facking conspiracy. :ph34r:

Every other team behind us would swap positions with us without a second thought.   

Its in our hands.   Need to put the last couple of games behind us and gee ourselves up for 4 massive games that could see us win the FA Cup and qualify for the champions league.   

Going to be tough, but now is the time to get behind the team! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AS78UK said:

Every other team behind us would swap positions with us without a second thought.   

Its in our hands.   Need to put the last couple of games behind us and gee ourselves up for 4 massive games that could see us win the FA Cup and qualify for the champions league.   

Going to be tough, but now is the time to get behind the team! 

But would they swap positions with us and also take our form and fixtures for the last 3 games based on how atrocious we are playing thats probably a better question.

• Like 1

Can we come to a gentleman's agreement to get the FA Cup win in exchange for giving Chelsea 3 points? Means we can rest our first XI for the Man U and Spurs which we could win and finish 4th :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Right I’ve got it. Brendan is trying to get sacked so he can walk in to the Spurs job and we’ll all sigh with relief. Obvious. Then of course we’ll get Howe as manager, or some other dross. It’s a facking conspiracy. :ph34r:

On a serious note, I was discussing this yesterday with my uncle, another life-long City fan.

Do we think Rodgers is particularly bothered if we don’t make the top four?

In terms of his career, he’s done more than enough with Leicester to get a move in the summer if he wants one, even if we do crash out again.

And if he doesn’t want to stay with Leicester, actually getting into the CL with us would make it harder for him to leave. 
Many football fans like @Bert seem to have this romantic notion that both our manager and the players are bothered about the plight of Leicester City. But are they really? Rodgers can move on, Maddison clearly wants out, Tielemans will move on at some point etc etc. 
There’s a massive chasm between the wants and expectations of the fans of a football club and many of its players. If we do crash and burn AGAIN this season it could be because the drive to get over the finish line isn’t there?

We’ll see whether this theory has any merit or not soon enough anyway.

It’s funny how the sun comes out on Sunday morning following a bleak rainy day after the night before and loads of people are suddenly filled with wanton optimism and enthusiasm about our top four chances.

I guess if it works for some fans, maybe it will work too for some of the players. Here’s hoping...

• Like 1

Guest ttfn
9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Can the fans who say we've got no mental resilience able to explain why we are the 2nd best team in the league for points won from losing positions? Or is that not how you measure the ability to cope with pressure?

I think the pressure is the same whether you’re winning or losing isn’t it? Where do we rank for holding onto one goal leads for example? (I don’t know if you can even get those stats).

One way or another there is a mental block with this team. You can’t get yourself into near unassailable positions two years running and (potentially) blow it both times in similar fashion. You can count the number of times we’ve “turned up” at the business end of the season under Rodgers on one hand. The talent and quality of coaching is clearly there as evidenced by the rest of the season, so it’s either a conditioning issue (if so why are we suffering from it so badly?) or it’s a mentality issue. The decision making of players and coaching staff at the back-end of both seasons would suggest it’s the latter rather than the former.

We have some very good players, no doubt. But not having enough of them will inevitably leave us short. We got lucky with injuries during 2015/16 but without the depth of talent of some other rivals it makes it almost impossible to compete to the very end. A fit squad including Barnes, Justin and Evans and we wouldn't be looking over our shoulders now. The squad depth is still building but to break into the top 6 for the second consequtive year (3 times in the past six years) is the stuff that most other clubs can only dream about.