Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 hour ago, Phube said:

But beating an out of form team (albeit league leaders) at home on a Monday night  halfway through a league season after scoring in the 3rd minute?

Out of form? Liverpool was on a unbeaten run of 12 games before last night 

I would imagine it was a combination of things but I would be ecstatic at what would be a complete turn around of fortune, could have lost his job quite easily when we beat them 9-0 and certainly with the few defeats after that as well, now just over 12 months later his team has beaten the most dominant team in football for the last 2 years 

4 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

But one of the things that is encouraging for the club as a whole is the willingness to spend a few mill on development players who might turn make the first team.  This would not show up here.... you could say soyuncu was one of these 

Like who? I think we are one of the worst for trying to sign talented 16 - 20 year old who sit in our U23's and challenge for a first team spot. We pick up free transfers from muck like Norwich, Villa and Arsenal and Chelsea's cast offs. The only player I can think of who we have paid potentially significantly for in recent years is George Hirst who we paid Leuven who got him on a free. I was annoyed we failed to have one final push at being able to recruit U18 EU players prior to 2021, a lot of PL clubs were more aggressive last summer in light of this.

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Club-trained players were defined as those who had been with the club for at least three seasons between the ages of 15 and 21.

Brighton’s record is fantastic and should be something we aim to emulate but to an elite level. Their training ground was opened in 2011 and have made slow and steady progress to become a mid-low table PL side. They’re planning to expand their training ground again I believe in the near future. 

Chelsea and particularly Man Utd have a loooong history of developing quality youth players but in recent years both have ended up developing successful players for other clubs. Our title winner for example - Huth and King came out of Chelsea’s academy around the same time, whereas Drinkwater, James, De Laet and Simpson came out of Man Utd’s. 

The irony here is that those two clubs have been funding our next few generations of home made talent for decades to come. 

4 hours ago, Alan Frost said:

I hope it does n't come down to the last 4 matches. It would be a nerve wracking couple of weeks. Have a look at our last 4. Sure we'd do it but I'd be a little on edge. Would n't it be lovely If we could afford to field the reserves at Man U. I'd book an ad panel at their ground for my flying Pigs.

Our next 9 games aren't overly favourable either.

4 hours ago, Alan Frost said:

I hope it does n't come down to the last 4 matches. It would be a nerve wracking couple of weeks. Have a look at our last 4. Sure we'd do it but I'd be a little on edge. Would n't it be lovely If we could afford to field the reserves at Man U. I'd book an ad panel at their ground for my flying Pigs.

It will definitely come down to the last 4 games, just too close this year for it not to. It'll probably be the last 2/3 games until we're certainly inside/outside the top 4/6.

3 minutes ago, Yes said:

Not sure where else to put this. Is it a cause for concern where we are?

C6F9BAB5-7619-45F5-8EA3-8896A44333B6.webp 34.72 kB · 5 downloads

On a serious note though... lots of different ways to read that graph.

Atalanta for example create a lot of chances because they HAVE to, a bit like Leeds, because 9 time out of 10 they will have conceded at least a goal a game.

I think there's two factors that put us low down.

1) JV doesn't often need that many chances to convert

2) Quality wise, we try dangerous passes quite often, so I imagine if more of those came off we'd quickly rise up that table.

I don't think average/average is the worst position for us to be in currently, but when it comes to competing in the Champions league and also post JV. We would need to be more just above average to hold our heads high and compete.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

On a serious note though... lots of different ways to read that graph.

Atalanta for example create a lot of chances because they HAVE to, a bit like Leeds, because 9 time out of 10 they will have conceded at least a goal a game.

I think there's two factors that put us low down.

1) JV doesn't often need that many chances to convert

2) Quality wise, we try dangerous passes quite often, so I imagine if more of those came off we'd quickly rise up that table.

I don't think average/average is the worst position for us to be in currently, but when it comes to competing in the Champions league and also post JV. We would need to be more just above average to hold our heads high and compete.

Considering injuries as well it’s maybe not a bad position to be in, surely Maddison alone could make a big difference to our quality of chances.

2 minutes ago, Yes said:

Considering injuries as well it’s maybe not a bad position to be in, surely Maddison alone could make a big difference to our quality of chances.

The difference in him since playing as a false 9 next to Vardy has been amazing. Hope it continues!

• Like 2

I do worry about our chances created and its the obvious point to make when we don't win, but what we do well is create "good chances" which invariably lead to goals. Not sure how the stats are put together regarding chances, but some teams create lots of chances but likelihood of them scoring a lot of them is low because they aren't what we would call "good" chances. 

Obviously it is an area we need to improve though. 

1 hour ago, Yes said:

e9n5LMT.jpgNot sure where else to put this. Is it a cause for concern where we are?

It is cause for concern.  It surprises me -- I knew our volume of chances is low, but thought we were near the top in quality.

Two things have been keeping our scoring above water so far:

- Vardy is one of the rare players so good at finishing, that, in the long run, his goals significantly exceed his xG

- We've won a lot of penalties

We can't count on continuing to win so many pens.  However, I believe the re-integration of Ricardo, Madders and Castagne will boost our attacking play enough to more than make up the difference.  Also perhaps contributions from Under, and from Perez moved to his natural position.

• Like 1

The reason why we don't create as many chances as we perhaps should is that our attacking players aren't quite as good other teams that around the same position as us. Vardy is a Premier League legend, Barnes has stepped up a lot this season and Albrighton has deservedly played his way into the team. But compare that front 3 to Mane / Salah / Firmino or Kane / Son / Bergwijn etc and it might not be good enough. Currently we have a great league position and all without Ricardo who is one of our best creative outlets despite being a right back, but for me we don't score enough goals to be the finished article just yet.

Edited by MANFACE
wrong assumption
  • Haha 1

Chance creation is an issue for us without doubt. If we don't make the top 4, it will be the reason why.

The reason why we don't create as many chances as we perhaps should is that our attacking players aren't quite as good other teams that around the same position as us. Vardy is a Premier League legend, Barnes has stepped up a lot this season and Albrighton has deservedly played his way into the team. But compare that front 3 to Mane / Salah / Firmino or Kane / Son / Bergwijn etc and it might not be good enough. Currently we have a great league position and all without Ricardo who is one of our best creative outlets despite being a right back, but for me we don't score enough goals to be the finished article just yet.

We might still make it regardless because as an overall team we are still good. Great keeper, centre halves, best CDM in the league, Tielemans for me would be in the team of the season so far, Vardy up top, etc. But we are the sort of team who if we brought a 60-80m attacker would go from being top 4 challengers to title challengers! Imagine our current team with Ziyech or Mahrez in it for example! But for understandable reasons we are not that type of club and may not ever be. If we keep the spine of the team and don't sell players we might still be able to dream again. I wouldn't have thought this team could cope without Ricardo after our drop off last season, but this season despite not being as good, players like Castagne, Albrighton and JJ especially have stepped up. If Barnes went up another level to the 15 goal a season mark, Maddison gets to 10, Under comes into the team and gets 10... then those are the sort of numbers that you need.

It will be interesting to see who leaves us this season. Based on current form I'd sadly expect it to be Tielemans because he's turning into the real deal in front of our very eyes. Which sadly would then make chance creation even harder for us! Otherwise perhaps we could "do a Monaco" and really challenge for something like the season they had Mbappe, Bernardo, Moutinho, Fabinho, Falcao, etc. A mixture of amazing young players and veterans who could still do it, which is clearly the type of model we are going for.

• Like 1