Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Slimani

6 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I still haven't gotten over the fact we paid 30 million pounds for him.

Rudders had his Y-Fronts taken down twice here - First by the Recruitment Team and secondly by the Chairman of Sporting. 

He's had an excellent season in Monaco so I was hoping for a bit of demand for him.

The problem with signing the likes of Slimani and Silva for big money and big wages is you can't move them downwards. Clubs like Rennes will just plead poverty and we'll probably be left with the option of a deal on their terms or not at all. Ideally we'd see a PL club come in for him like West Brom or Tottenham as their Kane back up. 

Looks like if he goes to Rennes at best it will be on a free and at worst a loan with us paying a large chunk of the wages. What a disaster Slimani and Silva have been and a lesson that we have to be almost certain if we decide to bring in a player in their late 20's for big money and wages. We'll only ever to be able to move them on sideways or up otherwise we'll be in this scenario again.

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

The sort of clubs that will be after him will all be skint due to the pandemic, would be amazed if anyone paid any money for him, best scenario as has already been said is someone to cover the last year of his wages.

Part exchange for Edouard?  :fc:

• Haha 2

I've never understood the hatred towards Slimani.

We've recouped most of his transfer fee from loan fees over the past 3 seasons.

Has a better goal to game ratio than Nacho and with a similar transfer fee and wage. Out of the two I would have Slimani as a second striker.

Yet players like Matty James, Amarty, Jupkovic who are on big wages seem to get a free ride. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

Has a better goal to game ratio than Nacho and with a similar transfer fee and wage. Out of the two I would have Slimani as a second striker.

Yet players like Matty James, Amarty, Jupkovic who are on big wages seem to get a free ride. 

No Idea why Matty James is still here, absolute waste of space.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

Do you have any evidence to prove that as I doubt that's the case.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

It's not his footballing ability, it's been documented that he didn't get on with some players. This is more is he a team player and success of a team can hinge on dynamic of how the players bond and work for each other.

While he isn't crap people need to move on from thinking he can some good come back into the team, that ship sailed.

We move on and so does Slimani, he has done ok as has the club in his absence. An expensive lesson.  

8 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Of course he doesn't. Just as he doesn't have any evidence James, Amartey and Jakupovic are on big wages. I would doubt any of them are earning anything near to what Slimani is, but then I don't have any evidence to prove that :thumbup:

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier

7 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Well we've had a few million back, they will have been paying something towards his wages.

He scored the only goal against Porto and setup Mahrez's goal against Copenhagen.

I'm no fan of him but we haven't lost a fortune on him and we've definitely had worse signings in the past.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

I very much doubt that is the case, did he not cost about £25m, your not making anywhere near that in loan fees. I guess if most of his wages have been paid while out on loan then that's not so bad.

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Of course he doesn't. Just as he doesn't have any evidence James, Amartey and Jakupovic are on big wages. I would doubt any of them are earning anything near to what Slimani is.

Apparently, Silva is on £80k-£85k p/w until 2021

Slimani £80k - 2021

Ghezzal £25k-£45k - 2022

Amartey £55k - 2022

James £32k-£35k - 2021 or 2022

Jakupovic £23k - 2021

Diabate £15k - 2022

Might not be accurate, but seems plausible to me.

Just now, Raw Dykes said:

Apparently, Silva is on £80k-£85k p/w until 2021

Slimani £80k - 2021

Ghezzal £25k-£45k - 2022

Amartey £55k - 2022

James £32k-£35k - 2021 or 2022

Jakupovic £23k - 2021

Diabate £15k - 2022

Might not be accurate, but seems plausible to me.

Exactly this. The club don't have a problem with money for transfers, its biggest problem is the wage bill.

We had a U23 player not so long ago called Raul Uche who was on 8k a week because someone at the club thought he was going to be the next big thing, Kaputska the same this time with a huge transfer fee and stupid wages.

The club hand out new contracts like sweets.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

Slimani cost £30m, there is absolutely no way the club have recouped £15m+ from loans to Fenerbahce, Newcastle and Monaco.

How you can compare a sulking record signing to a no 3 goalkeeper I do not know.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

He's had an excellent season in Monaco so I was hoping for a bit of demand for him.

The problem with signing the likes of Slimani and Silva for big money and big wages is you can't move them downwards. Clubs like Rennes will just plead poverty and we'll probably be left with the option of a deal on their terms or not at all. Ideally we'd see a PL club come in for him like West Brom or Tottenham as their Kane back up. 

Looks like if he goes to Rennes at best it will be on a free and at worst a loan with us paying a large chunk of the wages. What a disaster Slimani and Silva have been and a lesson that we have to be almost certain if we decide to bring in a player in their late 20's for big money and wages. We'll only ever to be able to move them on sideways or up otherwise we'll be in this scenario again.

I agree Rennes will plead poverty around this deal - why wouldn't they - but they are actually very well financed and backed by Francois-Henri Pinault who is worth an absolute fortune (north of $30billion) and he has bank rolled the signings of some good players so far, plus they have Champions League revenue this season. They are no Ligue 1 paupers and certainly have some spending capability. 

As you say, in this scenario this issue is more Slimani's contract and the rumoured 80k p/w we are paying, as that will likely blow their wage structure out the water. That means it's unlikely we'll get much more than a nominal fee but at this stage even that would be a result. 

Edited by LCCFox96

On 20/08/2020 at 10:37, Steve Earle said:

I’m in no position to argue with @themightyfinbut after his season at Monaco I’d be disappointed if we didn’t get a fee for Slim. Was hoping for €10m.

But we have to get his wages off the books, him and about 8 others!

Slimani had a stellar season for Monaco, and Monaco didn't want him -- he was such a toxic presence in the dressing room, they even benched him for a while when he was scoring for fun. Another team might take a chance on him, but no one will pay £10 million for him. I don't think anyone would take him on a free, unless it was for a one year deal -- the ideal for any team would be a loan, so they can see if he can deal with his personality issues.

My guess? We will loan him out to see out the contract to some French team, and he will end his career at Sporting, the only place he seems to be happy.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2020 at 06:18, Sambiasso said:

Criticism is not synonymous with hatred.

Meanwhile, Nacho has a greater upside and has shown this past season that he can contribute more than just goals.

On 20/08/2020 at 12:18, Sambiasso said:

No chance is anyone paying us anywhere near £10M a season to loan Slimani.   You are in dreamland.