Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ben Chilwell Signs for Chelsea

Mehhhhh, not sure how i feel. A shame an academy player has left, £50m for a first choice England international seems a little low once you take the British tax off it, but then i'd say he's the best of a bad bunch, England are hardly overrun with a choice of world class LB's

However i neither get the criticism he got, or the hype. He's a decent player, good defending, good at getting forward, average attacking (compared to the new style full back) i think he's stalled a bit and changed his game since playing for England. Doesnt seem to want to take players on or attempt attacking, runs the wing, stops, passes it back

I think he is at his best now, i can't see him progressing any more or getting much better (hope i'll be proved wrong) Think he'll do quite well when he's on loan at Westham/Newcastle in a couple of seasons, but he's replaceable.

2 hours ago, foxpleasure said:

My two biggest fears...

Selling Wilf

Signing Lingard

I'm with you there.  Now that would upset me.

I think there are only really two players we have that are irreplaceable imo.  One is JV but he's not going anywhere and the other is Wilf.

Losing Ricardo would sting a bit too.

• Like 1

It's 50 mil then?

First academy and England player sold to a champions league club since Heskey.

Luke Thomas time, then.

Fuchs or Justin as the backup left back? We're going to need to buy another left or right back at least.

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

His whole family have been desperate for this move to Chelsea, just like Maguire at Man Utd. Swear I read somewhere his Dad is a Chelsea fan. Dream come true blah blah blah

That makes sense then. 

He’s from Milton Keynes originally isn’t he? 

He can spend time with his mate Jeff Schlupp again! 

Edited by Sly

28 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

His whole family have been desperate for this move to Chelsea, just like Maguire at Man Utd. Swear I read somewhere his Dad is a Chelsea fan. Dream come true blah blah blah

Am I making this up or is his Dad not meant to be a bit of a twat? I'm sure I read Liverpool tried to sign him before he'd established himself in the first team and were put off because of his dad.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sly said:

That makes sense then. 

He’s from Milton Keynes originally isn’t he? 

He can spend time with his mate Jeff Schlupp again! 

Yeah from mk. We took on a few lads for the academy for mk at the same time, my sisters boyfriend was one of them but the furthest he got to the first team was the bench for a cup game iirc.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I read somewhere his Dad is a Chelsea fan

35 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Am I making this up or is his Dad not meant to be a bit of a twat?

Well that's enough evidence for me. I mean being a Chelsea fan automatically likely makes him a twat anyway.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

What's the general feeling about this then? From my angle I think he was a good player but if one big asset were to be sold this summer he'd be the most sensible one to sell and the easiest to replace.

Depends who we replace him with, if we sell him for 50 then buy lewis for 20 then it's pretty poor business as lewis will need time to develop to chilwell's level, if we dont buy anyone and just play thomas and bank the 50 mil it could either be brilliant or a massive mistake, quite a big risk to take based on 3 appearances so not the right course of action imo, if we buy tagliafico for 25 mil it would be good business as we will have a player that suits us better short term and a potentially good long term option in Thomas. Still think we could have got more than 50 mil for chilwell though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Babylon said:

I want to **** Natalie Portman, but unless I win the lottery it’s not going to happen.

We aren’t Southampton of old, we are the same as every single club in the league system barring about 4 teams, and even they lose their best players to Spain. The only difference is that our recruitment has given us loads of players teams admire and want.... the only other option is to not buy good players. Because that’s the only way we are ever not going to lose them.

Mate that is wishful thinking.... Even with a lottery win you've got no chance :D

What you say is mostly true.... But doesn't mean one cannot be a bit gutted about losing some of our best players? 

2 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Exactly that. Feel fine about it as long as the cash is reinvested.

The only downside of this for me is that our model seem pretty well set in stone now. And that means next summer we'll probably lose someone I/we really care about, such as a Wilf or a Riccy or a Cags. That would hurt (Kante levels of hurt).

But...but if we keep progressing as a club, I'm sure we'll all be relaxed and groovy about that.:unsure:

Edited by Steve Earle
typo

4 hours ago, murphy said:

I'm with you there.  Now that would upset me.

I think there are only really two players we have that are irreplaceable imo.  One is JV but he's not going anywhere and the other is Wilf.

Losing Ricardo would sting a bit too.

Ricardo is more important than Ndidi. Ricardo and Vardy are our most important.

Ndidi is good at winning the ball back but he often mis-controls the ball or misplaces passes and that's on top of an in ability to shoot.

Edited by Fox92

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Ricardo is more important than Ndidi. Ricardo and Vardy are our most important.

Ndidi is good at winning the ball back but he often mis-controls the ball or misplaces passes and that's on top of an in ability to shoot.

Ricardo is a great player, a thoroughbred.

Wilf has his weaknesses as you have pointed out but he isn't simply 'good' at winning the ball, he is phenomenal.  His stats blow every other ball winning midfielder out of the water and for that reason, I don't there's anyone out there like him.  Hence irreplaceable. We really struggled without him.

Whichever is the most important, I would hate to lose either of them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

You only have to look at James Maddison signing a new contract and Ben Chilwell going to tell who's surrounded by people with the player's genuine best interests at heart, I know who I'd rather have kept too! 

maddison signed that purely so we can command a bigger fee next summer when he leaves, no other reason what so ever, thinking otherwise is deluded fandom, he wants to leave

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

What's the general feeling about this then? From my angle I think he was a good player but if one big asset were to be sold this summer he'd be the most sensible one to sell and the easiest to replace.

As long as we replace him well I'm very happy. And I'm willing to wait until deadline day if it means we get the right replacement in. 

• Like 1