Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ben Chilwell Signs for Chelsea

36 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Has he seriously had that much grief? The odd moan or grumble in the ground after he’s made a mistake? Almost every player gets it at every club if they’re perennially at fault for goals or moves breaking down. Chelsea are far worse for it too  

Yes, he definitely has. Pretty sure there was a thread on it at some point.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Would agree with this all the way, but we need to replace and replace well, or we’re very much the losers here.

How big a blow this is for us depends on the next couple of weeks.

Got to have a bit of faith in the clubs setup there though.

50 million buys a world class full back if you can pay their wages.

Truth of the matter is we just need a very competent player  to effectively replace chillwell. We already have a world class right back and a very competent top level Center defence pairing. 

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 2

Good luck Ben thanks for your service. When playing well he is a very good left back, just a shame his consistency was extremely erratic.

50 million is a good bit of business though, English player tax etc. Imagine if Ricardos name was Richard Peterson and he was from Plymouth or something, he would be worth enough to stop covid and expand the KP to the size of camp nou.

• Haha 1

I've been as guilty as anyone in the past for believing the hype around England players, but seeing Maguire go for 80m and Chilwell now for 50m (cementing their england places as a result) really does confirm to me how our top international players are mostly names over genuine top quality.

Chilwell will do well at Chelsea. He will bomb forward and there will be times when that weakness of being out of position is exposed, but nowhere near as much in an attacking side. But when he plays for England, and him and Harry have alot of defensive work, they'll be caught out again and again and shown up for what they are. 

7 hours ago, mucfox said:

To be honest I have to say that I'm very happy not to have to see Ben Chilwell every week anymore. His soccer skills are very limited and that annoyed me a lot at every game. When I think of his crosses alone, which mostly ended up in nirvana. But even defensively his skills are not enough for a club like Chelsea. From his salary he can at least buy himself a lot of warm long underpants, because the Champions League nights on the substitutes' bench can get very cold. Nevertheless, I'm very excited about his first appearance in the starting XI, whenever that will be...

Eh?

Nevermind.

• Like 1

He’s been good for us and it looks like we’ve received a decent fee. I can’t believe his England’s no 1 left back because I feel he has still got lots to develop. Saying that his delivery has looked a lot better when playing for England for some reason.

I like the lad but now he’s gone I hope he underperforms like with all the signings they and other big clubs make. Can’t stand the top clubs offering the contracts they do and the more flops they have the better.

• Like 1

Running a Post Office I see plenty of real corruption and incompetence so maybe why I am missing some of the rage and anger in here. I really wish Ben well but hope throughout his career we do better than Chelsea. For all those having a pop at the club take a step back, however much him going upsets some he did not have the best of seasons and the other 3 members of the back 4 all had better seasons than him. Not sure how many clubs in world football are paying their 4th best defender 190k a week for 5 years. We certainly can't and it was just too good a deal for him and us to turn down.

The owners have given us by far The best decade in our history so just maybe they deserve a little more faith. However half empty your glass is the club has got far more things right than wrong in the last decade. As posted at the beginning I have other things to moan about but if moaning on a sporting chat page about selling a player and not being fully aware of what is going on at the club to carry on moving forward is your biggest concern things are not so bad.

7 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I can't relate to this at all. I love being the underdog. I love that we're the little club upsetting the elite. I wouldn't swap the impossible PL title win on a shoestring for the world. I love that we're using nous to go toe-to-toe with the giants and the oil-baron-backed clubs. I don't get why you'd rather be the bully.

By the way, it's one player a season. Soton got rid of their whole team over a couple of years. It's not comparable in the slightest.

lol "what I am a bit gutted about is that we have become that club that buys cheap and sells high."

Don't get me wrong, I have also loved being the underdog and upsetting the elites, but you cannot deny that everytime we uncover a player and we as a club give this player the opportunity and develop them (kante, Mahrez, chilly and before that the likes of Heskey etc) that the bigger clubs come and entice them away. The quoted line you've taken out of context so thanks for that :rolleyes:. If football clubs were a business to us fans then yes we have the perfect model. But I would like, as a fan, for our club to always be growing and developing and to join the elites consistently we need to be "the bully" as you put it. Which fan wouldn't want us playing in the champions league year on year? Or fighting for a title or a cup? Don't get me wrong if you are happy with mediocrity and the occasional fight with the elites then each to their own. I want more for our club. 

Edited by hejammy

19 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Don't get me wrong, I have also loved being the underdog and upsetting the elites, but you cannot deny that everytime we uncover a player and we as a club give this player the opportunity and develop them (kante, Mahrez, chilly and before that the likes of Heskey etc) that the bigger clubs come and entice them away. The quoted line you've taken out of context so thanks for that :rolleyes:. If football clubs were a business to us fans then yes we have the perfect model. But I would like, as a fan, for our club to always be growing and developing and to join the elites consistently we need to be "the bully" as you put it. Which fan wouldn't want us playing in the champions league year on year? Or fighting for a title or a cup? Don't get me wrong if you are happy with mediocrity and the occasional fight with the elites then each to their own. I want more for our club. 

I think we would all want to be challenging for top four and playing regular European football, of course we’d all subscribe to that. There’s absolutely no reason we shouldn’t be fighting for a cup. The trouble is, you need a massive budget to do it or you need to box clever. The established clubs have that financial muscle that unless we received a Manchester City takeover, we are not going to be able to compete with. Therefore we have to box clever and build a different way. It’s a way which can be frustrating at times, but it’s the most sensible and sustainable way. We have done this since winning the league and it has seen us consistently improve our position since the season post the title season, and build a side with the likes of Maddison, Tielemans, Ricardo, Ndidi, Soyuncu, Evans, & Vardy has developed his game etc. Added to that you have the likes of Wolves - who’s strategy is also to box clever but in a different way, Everton - a prime example so far of chucking money at it and being constantly disappointed, same with West Ham. All these teams want to do what we want to do, but only we have managed to do it. The top four is now the big six because there were always two of the ‘elite’ who would miss out on the Champions League. The fact we have fractured the top six twice in six years, is more than any of us could’ve hoped for when we regained our place in the top division. The likes of ourselves, Wolves, Everton etc see an opportunity to break up the status quo, but ten into six simply does not go, and there are going to be times where sides like us and Wolves, will end up disappointed. It’s great to be ambitious and want more, but we have to have a sense of realism at where we are at. The sales we have made over the years have funded a side that has finished top five. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hejammy said:

You realise what you want us completely impossible with this ownership unless they completely change the way they fund the club?

10 hours ago, hejammy said:

I'm not necessarily gutted about him going per se, but what I am a bit gutted about is that we have become that club that buys cheap and sells high. Don't get me wrong it's great business but I'd rather be that club that players want to go to to win trophies and to play in the champions league. I want us to be that club that takes the best talent from the other teams cause they can, but I know that's never going to happen because Leicester as a city is not "fancy" enough. We've basically become the Southampton of old. 

I want to **** Natalie Portman, but unless I win the lottery it’s not going to happen.

We aren’t Southampton of old, we are the same as every single club in the league system barring about 4 teams, and even they lose their best players to Spain. The only difference is that our recruitment has given us loads of players teams admire and want.... the only other option is to not buy good players. Because that’s the only way we are ever not going to lose them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Does anyone think that we might not sign any new left-back at all? Last season we were linked with replacements for Maguire, but Soyuncu passed the pre-season test and proved to Rodgers that he was worthy of a first team spot. The rest as they say is history.

I do expect we will pick up a player that can cover one or both sides (Castagne of Atalanta?) but do you think it's possible pre-season will be used to see how Thomas gets on and just thrust him into the first team as a starter, with Fuchs / JJ to cover him?

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

Does anyone think that we might not sign any new left-back at all? Last season we were linked with replacements for Maguire, but Soyuncu passed the pre-season test and proved to Rodgers that he was worthy of a first team spot. The rest as they say is history.

I do expect we will pick up a player that can cover one or both sides (Castagne of Atalanta?) but do you think it's possible pre-season will be used to see how Thomas gets on and just thrust him into the first team as a starter, with Fuchs / JJ to cover him?

I'd only be guessing. I don't know what's going on. 

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

With Pereira out Justin has to cover there first and foremost. If this was the clubs thinking I'd brr very disappointed, especially with how we reacted when we started to lose key players last season. Not to mention the extra EL games to come this season. 

We need reinforcements on both sides. Imagine if Justin gets injured. That's cover for both sides gone. I'd hope we're not relying on just Thomas and Justin to start the season with. I know Ricardo will come back but no definite start date and it'll take him a good few weeks to get back to normal fitness. Probably won't see him play or return until November at the earliest. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I strongly doubt we won't be buying a full back. We really are down to bare bones in defence. Justin could cover LB, but he's needed at RB until Ricardo returns. Fuchs should only be emergency cover these days. I don't think he's a player you can rely on to start games regularly anymore.

I can't see Thomas being thrown in the deep end yet. He may be 2nd choice, but I think it's probably too much pressure to put on a teenager to rely on him as our main LB so soon.

• Like 1

I'm not reading 11 pages so this may be old news

It has also been confirmed that Chilwell has signed a five-year deal, with Percy suggesting he will earn £190,000 per week. According to Spotrac, this will see the Englishman overtake Christian Pulisic as the highest earning player at the club.

3 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Will chelsea finish above us ... again?

Well they should do but under a lot more scrutiny than us. Sarri finished 3rd behind Man City and Liverpool won a European cup and got sacked. Things can go wrong their very quickly 

1 minute ago, katieakita said:

Well they should do but under a lot more scrutiny than us. Sarri finished 3rd behind Man City and Liverpool won a European cup and got sacked. Things can go wrong their very quickly 

I am still sore that we are allowing chelsea to improve by selling chillwell to them. As it has been pointed out to me  hereon FT, the club are happy with this deal. Yet I feel it send the wrong message to our player and to other clubs ("don't worry about contracts and stuff - if you want to go we won't stop you").  I am not against selling chilly, but not to chelsea or any other rival for a CL spot finish.  We have to stop being little old Leicester or nothing will change. Rant over.

• Like 1