Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Fan Return News/Updates

Thing is, it's still going to be ok to go to the cinema, so why can't stadiums reopen with similar restrictions? Likewise things like soft play areas, where it's impossible to socially distance.

I get the impression they want to clamp down on large gatherings inside peoples homes and larger gatherings inside bars and pubs. Parkrun is still allowed to restart in October and that is potentially hundreds of people packed in together for a period of time.

10 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Thing is, it's still going to be ok to go to the cinema, so why can't stadiums reopen with similar restrictions? Likewise things like soft play areas, where it's impossible to socially distance.

I get the impression they want to clamp down on large gatherings inside peoples homes and larger gatherings inside bars and pubs. Parkrun is still allowed to restart in October and that is potentially hundreds of people packed in together for a period of time.

You're making the false assumption that there is any genuine logic behind any of the lifting of restrictions. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

The 2 EFL Trophy games went ahead this evening with limited fans in attendance. 

Given the rise in cases and the demographic of those people, the additional restrictions reintroduced on Monday the October plan looks exceedingly unlikely. 

Ironically the terrace at Cambridge made it much easier for people to keep their distance. 

14 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

The 2 EFL Trophy games went ahead this evening with limited fans in attendance. 

Given the rise in cases and the demographic of those people, the additional restrictions reintroduced on Monday the October plan looks exceedingly unlikely. 

On top of the restrictions on Monday they've just announced that Doncaster racecourse has been told by local health officials to stop spectators attending its St Leger meeting after Wednesday's opening day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/54084761

2 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

The date for fans attending matches is confirmed to be under review 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/54094363?__twitter_impression=true

"We know fans and audiences are eager to return, and jobs depend on this too, so work continues around the clock on the 'moonshot project' with the ambition of having audiences back much closer to normal by Christmas, if safe to do so."

All the money and effort going into a system that relies on technology that doesn't yet exist. This government is on another planet.

2 minutes ago, Mapperleyfox said:

There won't be anyone in grounds this side of Christmas. This Government is frightened to death of loosening the restrictions.

I'll be surprised if stadiums will be reopened the season after next too.

This is the end of sport as we know it i'm afraid.

I thought I was pessimistic lol we will have a vaccine by the time next season starts I reckon 

• Like 1

Just now, chapero82 said:

I thought I was pessimistic lol we will have a vaccine by the time next season starts I reckon 

For many clubs it'll be too late. They'll be long gone before a vaccine is widely available.

Sure the bigger clubs might survive with the TV money but for most i'd imagine it's a matter of weeks/months unless they get some gate receipts in, which isn't going to happen.

Don't know about anyone else but I have no interest in football at all if i can't go the the match. I'd rather sack the season off and wait until I can go again, if that ever happens.

No fans, no food / drink sales, much reduced retails sales, no corporate sales etc.

Premiership teams may well be able to survive without any of this income (Arsenal is about £3 million per home game), City around the £1m mark I think.

What about the Championship, lower leagues. Rugby Union, Rugby League, Cricket, Horse Racing and many more. How the hell will they survive 6+ months without any revenue coming in? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Having watched a number of German games with fans back in reduced numbers. Can't say it's changed my mind about not wanting to go to watch us until the stadiums are fully open. Proper soulless and sad experience. 

Lucky enough to live in Sydney and been to a few sports games with reduced numbers and have found it’s actually a lot better than you would think! Everyone that manages to get to the game is in good spirits and even just being there in person supporting your team brings some semblance of normality back.

Shame that cases are rising again, but even reduced crowds (when that day comes) will be good and a step in a positive direction

15 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

I think the difference between a Cinema and Football match is that in the Cinema you aren't surrounded by guys yelling for 90 minutes "C'mon Bond, yer useless, drive faster. Ernst Stavro Blofeld what a w***er what a w***er. Getting shot in a minute, you're getting shot in a minute" and in doing so spraying mucus, lager and semi digested meat pie over each other. 

Yes & the amount of times I've missed the end of the film to get out & beat the traffic.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the longer the ban on fans continues, the more likely it is that a decent number of people won't bother. If it is until March, barring about eight selected games, fans won't have been to matches for a year- that is a long time away, out of the habit and routine.

It isn't ideal to be watching every game (and that won't last) on TV but you get your weekends, you aren't inconvenienced by kick-off times in the same way, you are saving money. How many will be keen to get up at 7am for a 12pm Sunday kick-off or take time off work on Mondays to trek across the country again?

I think, had we been gradually allowed to come back from September or this weekend, the keenness would've been high. Another six months, I'm really doubtful.

Anyone here questioning the motivation to do it all again? Will you reduce your attendance (when allowed to go regularly, of course) or still desperate to return?

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Corky said:

I think the longer the ban on fans continues, the more likely it is that a decent number of people won't bother. If it is until March, barring about eight selected games, fans won't have been to matches for a year- that is a long time away, out of the habit and routine.

It isn't ideal to be watching every game (and that won't last) on TV but you get your weekends, you aren't inconvenienced by kick-off times in the same way, you are saving money. How many will be keen to get up at 7am for a 12pm Sunday kick-off or take time off work on Mondays to trek across the country again?

I think, had we been gradually allowed to come back from September or this weekend, the keenness would've been high. Another six months, I'm really doubtful.

Anyone here questioning the motivation to do it all again? Will you reduce your attendance (when allowed to go regularly, of course) or still desperate to return?

No. I can’t wait to get back to watching us in the flesh. Get quite emotional at the thought of watching the pre match film, cheering as the lads step out onto the pitch, and getting totally absorbed in the events unfolding in front of me for the subsequent couple of hours

• Like 2