Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Fan Return News/Updates

football really is a difficult and delicate one to open. I get the frustration when cinemas and theatres are opening slightly but there are huge differences. Like it or not, a lot of football fans are less likely to follow guidelines but i would say the type that would do that probably break the rules every day anyway. If football grounds were opened up then hundreds of thousands people will be going, bit more than one-off shows at certain venues. Having said that though, limited capacities and much changed football experience will attract the types of football fan who are more likely to follow the rules.

Its also really hard to justify localised lockdowns in Manchester and Liverpool say, when 20,000 people can still go to the football. Also difficult to say some clubs can have fans but others can't, depending on whether you're in a local lockdown or not. Best way would be to gradually go through the leagues, introducing measures and see how well they are followed in the smaller capacities. 

The government got massive pelters for allowing sporting events to carry on in march, I know its different now and sporting events won't be the same as before but I can see why they're being cautious. 

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Do not know where you have got those two points from whatsoever.

Point 1 - Football is no longer a working class, flatcap wearing, pie and mash devouring, ale drinking pleb sport. It's watched, attended and enjoyed by the entire class spectrum in the UK. Likewise you can pick up theatre tickets from £10 these days. You don't need a tuxedo to attend.

Point 2 - Really? Whooping, cheering, standing ovations, singing along to the songs, gasps, groans, tension. Big meet ups in pubs and restaurants pre and post performance to disect what has just been witnessed. That's theatre and concerts.

I go to theatre and musicals often, as well as football matches. I am baffled as to why you are so confident and steadfast in your belief that they are entirely different in this country

Someone's obviously not been to Rocky Horror

• Haha 1

[quote] 

Premier League statement on the return of fans to stadiums

Fans return to Premier League ground as Brighton host test event

Matchday Support Fund boosts over 1,000 clubs

The Premier League, EFL, The FA, Women’s Super League and Women’s Championship want to assure all fans that together we are fully committed to your safe return to football grounds as soon as possible.

The health of the nation remains our overriding priority, and for many months we have been working with experts to make our grounds as safe as, if not safer than, any other public activity currently allowed. And we are consulting with the Football Supporters’ Association to keep supporters updated every step of the way.

We know attendance at matches can play a positive role in people’s lives during these challenging times. And the past few months have shown how clubs can still feel the support of their fans.

Even when you have been unable to get together, you and your clubs have found ways to make a difference in your communities, with clubs delivering food parcels, taking part in phone calls and online conversations with fans, the elderly and vulnerable and moving services and programmes online to make a difference in unprecedented and challenging circumstances.

But we all know football is not the same without fans. Every player and manager is missing the direct connection with you and the impact that you have on our games.

Successful test events

With the EFL, Premier League, Women’s Super League and Women’s Championship already staging 11 successful test events recently, we have demonstrated that we can deliver matches safely. The sooner we can return, the sooner we can reunite communities and support local jobs, livelihoods, regional businesses and also the national economy.

We will continue to urge Government to allow us to return fans safely to stadiums. It is positive progress that major arts and music venues have been told they can run socially-distanced events indoors. And now football should be allowed to do the same - in highly regulated and stewarded outdoor environments.

Additionally, representatives from football are active members of the Government's Sports Technology and Innovation Group, as well as being involved with their "Moonshot" mass-testing project to open up the economy.

And in light of the postponement of test events we will intensify our efforts to pioneer new approaches - working with epidemiologists, scientists and medical experts in areas such as public health, clinical processes and occupational hygiene. This will make sure stadiums are COVID-safe by considering best-practice screening and hygiene methods to ensure that fans and the general public will be safe and drive the Government's sporting plans to move faster.

Reducing risk of transmission

Stadium environments can be modified and carefully managed. Measures could include screening spectators before they enter the ground, installing temperature checks, requiring masks to be worn, one-way systems and providing a code of conduct for all those attending on a matchday. This will all be bolstered by deep-cleaning practices to help further reduce the risk of virus transmission.

Clubs want to be pro-active on this matter and are willing to consider measures both in the stadium and on the approach that will allay any concerns as to fans’ safety.

From a travel perspective, clubs will work closely with experts and local authorities to model solutions relevant for each stadium to ease pressure on public transport, while extra parking facilities could be available so a greater proportion of you can travel by private car or bicycle.

We are determined to identify a path forward with Government. We need clarity for our clubs and for you as supporters as to what the roadmap for change in this area looks like.

We all know why caution is needed, and we ask Government for consistency in their policy so sport is treated as fairly as other activities currently allowed to welcome spectators.

So, we will continue to urge the relevant authorities to let us, together, use innovative ways to bring fans safely back into football grounds, starting with a return of the test event programme. If we do so, then the benefits will be felt not just by fans but throughout society and the economy.

[/quote] 

Premier League statement on wanting to get fans back in stadiums...

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1857558?sf238536187=1

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fightforever said:

Doesnt the virus spread much less in open air? I can't see why 50% capacity wouldn't be allowed providing they find a way to not let everyone out at once and prevent loitering.

Because it isn't just "open air". You have the concourse, the toilets, arrival, leaving the game amongst others. It would need to be so so so organised to allow 50%. Some grounds will struggle to even get to 30% safely. 

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Because it isn't just "open air". You have the concourse, the toilets, arrival, leaving the game amongst others. It would need to be so so so organised to allow 50%. Some grounds will struggle to even get to 30% safely. 

You have most of these for the theatre and cinema too though.

12 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Listen, I know it is FT where we are all pre determined to argue points but there are to points you simply can not argue....

1, people who go to theatre are completely different from those who go to football.

2, people who go to football and people who go to Theatre act in two completely different manners.

...With that being said, I'm confused as to why you think the same rules should apply to two completely different groups.

...the points in regards to logistics appears to be the salient part!!!

There may be two different types of crowds but the common problem is logistics, getting there and getting back, the use of tubes in order to get from A to B does present a problem and it is all very well having a strategy for CV19 when you are in the building but outside of the premises, crowd congregating is totally outside of the venues control.

• 1 month later...

Do people really want to go that badly? 

Infection rates are as high as they have been at any point in the pandemic at the moment. I genuinely don't see why anyone is so eager to go and sit with thousands of others in any setting.

I do agree that it's ridiculous that people can watch a game in a cinema but I don't agree that we can use that argument to justify mass attendance. 

Nobody in government will say it because it's perceived as political suicide (it isn't because people vote for a party that shits on them every day) but they don;t want fans in grounds because they can't be trusted before and after the game when in locations away from the ground and high levels of control.

I just don't see the sense in starting mass attendance in the middle of winter. 

• Like 2

I think I've come to terms with domestic games being behind closed doors this season.

But would be absolutely gutted if the Euros are affected in the summer. It feels like the celebration of football we need after this period ahead of a new season where fans can finally return to their clubs.

I don’t really understand if you’re going to let supporters in, why would it only be for Tier 1 places. It just doesn’t make sense for a few reasons.

One of which being many people travel to the games, especially for the bigger clubs. For instance, if United fans in London were living under tier 2/3 rules - what sense would it make for them to be able to go to the United game?

Also, it has been clear throughout this pandemic that some areas have been hit worse than others so having clubs who could have fans in more regularly than others is likely to cause a dispute. The inconsistency in allowing fans wouldn’t really sit well with many I don’t think. 

The main problems as I see it.

1 - The games where fans have been allowed to attend, instead of equal spacing between each person, people sit in clusters.  Ok if they from same household, not so sure if not, granted it is outside though.

2 - No proposals for how to police of not letting in people who are supposed to be self isolating and on the covid risk lists.

3 - Perhaps the biggest issue, how to manage, the choke points, turnstiles, toilets, people outside the ground, walking there etc.

I want fans back, but is some issues to sort out, and it shouldnt happen in any tier 2/3 areas or during national lockdown.

30% capacity also seems too high for a starting point.

Edited by Chrysalis

All teams allowed fans, limited capacity obviously or no teams allowed fans. Nothing else is fair.

Given that Manchester and Liverpool are areas with high rates, and the 3 most influential clubs, they won't accept other clubs having fans if they can't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lako42 said:

they don;t want fans in grounds because they can't be trusted before and after the game when in locations away from the ground and high levels of control.

This. If people could be trusted more we could ALL be back in the grounds before long, the pubs could be opened up and life would be much more pleasant but it's because people were stupid we are now back to square one. The trouble is we all suffer.

9 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

The main problems as I see it.

1 - The games where fans have been allowed to attend, instead of equal spacing between each person, people sit in clusters.  Ok if they from same household, not so sure if not, granted it is outside though.

In tier 1 you can be with people outside. you will have to wear masks and you won’t be allowed to sing 

2 - No proposals for how to police of not letting in people who are supposed to be self isolating and on the covid risk lists.

there will be a system to deal with this - and the fast tests they have trialled in Liverpool will be used but I suspect the fans will have to make a contribution to the cost  

3 - Perhaps the biggest issue, how to manage, the choke points, turnstiles, toilets, people outside the ground, walking there etc.

you will have staggered fifteen minute windows to arrive at the ground - those arriving earliest will leave earliest afterwards 

I want fans back, but is some issues to sort out, and it shouldnt happen in any tier 2/3 areas or during national lockdown.

30% capacity also seems too high for a starting point.

I think it’s unworkable financially below 30% for many stadia although I think the largest grounds may have to accept 20% loading, especially to begin with