Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Our Internationals 2020/21

2 minutes ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

So looking at the teams that qualified for Euro 2021 we could have the following representatives;

Tielemans, Praet, Castagne - Belgium 

Soyuncu, Ünder - Turkey

Schmeichel - Denmark 

Ward - Wales 

Ricardo? - Portugal

Fofana? - France 

Maddison? Barnes? - England (Unlikely) 

Probably not fofana, Varane, Umtiti, Lenglet, Laporte etc would be hard to get past. I believe Laporte doesn't have a cap yet.

3 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

You do realize that if there was not an international break, clubs and players will still be playing during this period?

Having already posited that the friendlies should’ve have kept to the barest minimum this season, if you want to cut down on games this season then perhaps you should have eliminated or pared down participation in some or all of the domestic club competitions (not least baring in mind that the overwhelming majority of those EPL injury stats that you cite were incurred in domestic club games). That’s a more tenable compromise than getting rid of internationals that involve WC or continental qualifications, seeding and/or competition (and/or even arguably preparations therefor). There’s frankly little or no compelling reason for clubs in Europe to be participating in the various domestic Milk/League cups this season. 

I think that domestic cups are of value to people outside of the Premiership in fairness, there's more than just 20 teams in the football league and some are struggling for there very existence. If you had a no replay rule for both domestic cups, Premiership clubs as usual could play their second string mostly in earlier rounds which can be beneficial. 

You're right that the injuries most possibly occurred in domestic football but the point that was being made on the radio and that by certain footballers themselves, is that the type of injuries occurring are down to the culmination of far too much football overall without respite. If there weren't any international breaks as you say, domestic football could be spread out more. If we completely missed out the next Euros, would anyone really care? It certainly wouldn't be the end of the world.

If we look at the forthcoming amount of football due to come up at the end of this season onwards ie Euros, World Cup qualifiers then World Cup itself, it's all become a bit of a monster. When are players going to rest? 

I appreciate the whole thing is very subjective and some people are clearly very keen on international football. Just for me personally though, I'm far more interested in club than country and the well being of domestic football at all levels. 

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think that domestic cups are of value to people outside of the Premiership in fairness, there's more than just 20 teams in the football league and some are struggling for there very existence. If you had a no replay rule for both domestic cups, Premiership clubs as usual could play their second string mostly in earlier rounds which can be beneficial. 

You're right that the injuries most possibly occurred in domestic football but the point that was being made on the radio and that by certain footballers themselves, is that the type of injuries occurring are down to the culmination of far too much football overall without respite. If there weren't any international breaks as you say, domestic football could be spread out more. If we completely missed out the next Euros, would anyone really care? It certainly wouldn't be the end of the world.

If we look at the forthcoming amount of football due to come up at the end of this season onwards ie Euros, World Cup qualifiers then World Cup itself, it's all become a bit of a monster. When are players going to rest? 

I appreciate the whole thing is very subjective and some people are clearly very keen on international football. Just for me personally though, I'm far more interested in club than country and the well being of domestic football at all levels. 

Just as the Nations Cup and the Europa Cup are of value to the smaller nations (and smaller clubs).

What would this season without the Europa League Cup be like for clubs such Rangers and Celtic or Dundalk, or the myriad Belgian, Greek, Israeli, Czech, Polish, Slovakian, etc., clubs (who have absolutely zero chance in the Champions League) hoping that a good Europa Cup run might benefit their marketability, bottom-line and thus viability? I am not really a huge fan of international football, but I think it's relatively easier to make COMPROMISES in the domestic schedule (btw there are NO FA Cup replays this season, and the League Cup s/finals will be one-legged).

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Btw, the WC is exactly 2 years away.

And MOST of the players in the EPL (and/or their nations) will not make it. But those players (or their clubs) will play in the Milk Cup.

Meanwhile, check out the number of folks on FT almost literally crying on this thread over Scotland's Euros qualification. lol

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

And in other news …  Wales 0 - 0 USA.  One shot on goal by the red white and blue.

Kingy actually got a ten minute cameo for the home side   ...   in goal.   Talk about taking the piss.

* that last bit is a lie

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, KingsX said:

And in other news …  Wales 0 - 0 USA.  One shot on goal by the red white and blue.

Kingy actually got a ten minute cameo for the home side   ...   in goal.   Talk about taking the piss.

* that last bit is a lie

*You didn't talk about taking the piss...

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Glad there was no players in the England squad for us! 

I still think its v unlikely you would catch it outdoors from an opponent - however, managers should be saying to their players to avoid getting into situations with opponents where your're getting too close to their exhaled air - you don't want to be getting into arguments with someone who ends up shouting into your face …..

Pleased for Scotland, throughly deserved, they love the nations league and penalty shootouts.  They seem a team transformed.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them get through their (our) group, especially with a couple of games at Hampden.  It would be awful if there are no fans, a packed hampden rivals any atmosphere.

Just a shame Northern Ireland couldn't get through.

13 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I wonder if Jonny Evans might consider international retirement now.

If he decided to retire from international football the fans would recultantly accept it. 

The problem is we (Norn

Iron hat on) still need him.

Our back 4 with him are actually decent enough considering the size of our country, the rest of the team are total shit though.

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

Pleased for Scotland, throughly deserved, they love the nations league and penalty shootouts.  They seem a team transformed.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them get through their (our) group, especially with a couple of games at Hampden.  It would be awful if there are no fans, a packed hampden rivals any atmosphere.

Just a shame Northern Ireland couldn't get through.

The Nations league is the greatest tourney of all time!!

We can win our group again on sunday meaning we have another route into the next WC if needed (it will be).