Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

West Brom (a) pre match thread

My drab instinct is also 0-0. 

That's pretty much inclined by the scheduling situation and our injuries. 

By the time of kick off, I'm hoping for a raise in my excitement levels, but not casting any expectations. 

Judging by the bile hangover, from last seasons end, perhaps it's a good job there'll be no fans in the stadium. 

I hope it is high octane, end to end stuff, with all players looking their best, creating chances, preventing chances and scoring goals, however if it isn't, I for one at this stage, will be cutting them some slack, can't see everybody agreeing with this though. 

Ruddy Chilwell. 

1 hour ago, goose2010 said:

The reason as a fan I accept it is because I imagine it's pretty hard to actually sign players and it's not a 5 minute process like it is on fifa or football manager. 

Bar two players (chillwell and Evans) we have exactly the same squad that got us to a position well above our station last year. 

Thomas will more than likely be in for Chillwell and we have enough cover for Evans and it's pretty obvious we are working on bringing in someone else to.

It's like you think Rogers and his team and the owners just thought oh well we won't bother this season. If you think that you need to give your head a wobble. I imagine it's tough enough normally but I can imagine this year it's been an absolute nightmare. 

Have a look at the positive for a change? Maddison near enough back to full fitness, Ricardo looking good in training, being linked with players which will improve our squad. It wasn't that long ago even an intense Google search wouldn't find some of the players we were linked with / signing now we are signing players that play for the best international teams in the world. 

I stopped reading at the old football manager chest nut. We’ve had long enough to plan and have things in place, we haven’t had the quoted five minutes you mention, months rather.

1 hour ago, Angus Scott said:

I don't think anybody on here wants us to lose or gets any enjoyment from it.

However if we don't sign any more players for 3 more weeks, we may be in big trouble. We have had 14 months to bring some more quality into the squad & have failed woefully, especially regarding a centre half. This, barring Man City, is one of the easiest starts to a season we have had & badly need to get points before Europe & tougher games kick in.

The end of last season cost us dearly, mainly because we were so short of decent back up. Those problems still exist, why we have been so ponderous in addressing them beggers belief

Too many if's and buts to have an opinion on saying we have failed woefully. Like you have said its still 3 weeks until it closes. Assess / Judge the club then not now. 

There is no such thing as an easy game these days in the prem. The overall standard is so poor compared to 10 or so years ago. Apart from Liverpool and Man City anyone can beat any one really and even they aren't unbeatable and rode their luck plenty of times last year. The money from the TV deals have made it almost a level playing field for around 10ish clubs in the prem. 

The end of the season was shocking I don't think anyone would argue that but decent back up players for a team like Leicester are hard to come by. We should have had enough to see us through but we didn't. 

There is not many players in the world that would happy to play back up at a team like Leicester and really we wouldn't want players to be happy taking a wage for doing little - we have enough of them already! I couldn't name a striker that would be happy to be back up for Vardy that would slot in and score at Vardy's rate but only play when Vardy isn't fit. Take Ings for instance scored roughly the same as Vardy. Do you think he would come and sit on the bench for us? not a chance but if  Man City or Man United came in for him would he? Probably yeah. 

We have made mistakes in the transfer market. None of them were on purpose. We are a club that have to take a risk on players we simply cannot afford to just pluck players from other premiership clubs. It would be great to have that power but we haven't. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

I stopped reading at the old football manager chest nut. We’ve had long enough to plan and have things in place, we haven’t had the quoted five minutes you mention, months rather.

Yeah probably just sat on the beach somewhere saying 'oh god the season starts Saturday best do something about it' :frusty:

The disrespect towards our club owners and management is shocking. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Too many if's and buts to have an opinion on saying we have failed woefully. Like you have said its still 3 weeks until it closes. Assess / Judge the club then not now. 

There is no such thing as an easy game these days in the prem. The overall standard is so poor compared to 10 or so years ago. Apart from Liverpool and Man City anyone can beat any one really and even they aren't unbeatable and rode their luck plenty of times last year. The money from the TV deals have made it almost a level playing field for around 10ish clubs in the prem. 

The end of the season was shocking I don't think anyone would argue that but decent back up players for a team like Leicester are hard to come by. We should have had enough to see us through but we didn't. 

There is not many players in the world that would happy to play back up at a team like Leicester and really we wouldn't want players to be happy taking a wage for doing little - we have enough of them already! I couldn't name a striker that would be happy to be back up for Vardy that would slot in and score at Vardy's rate but only play when Vardy isn't fit. Take Ings for instance scored roughly the same as Vardy. Do you think he would come and sit on the bench for us? not a chance but if  Man City or Man United came in for him would he? Probably yeah. 

We have made mistakes in the transfer market. None of them were on purpose. We are a club that have to take a risk on players we simply cannot afford to just pluck players from other premiership clubs. It would be great to have that power but we haven't. 

Why does this mean the overall standard is poor? 

It could be mean more teams of a higher quality than 10 years ago, able to beat each other and a more even league. It doesn't mean the quality is necessarily worse.

Personally think the PL is better quality than it was 10 or 15 years ago. Every team has some good players.

Edited by Stevosevic
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

It could be mean more teams of a higher quality than 10 years ago, able to beat each other and a more even league. It doesn't mean the quality is necessarily worse.

Personally think the PL is better quality than it was 10 or 15 years ago. Every team has some good players.

Poor probably wasn't the best use of words. The standard has dropped at the top level. Results in champs league show that other leagues are stronger recently. Everyone expected Liverpool and Man City to dominate the Champs league last season and they both got beat by inferior (on paper and what we were lead to believe) teams.

I do agree it does make it more competitive which is great - nobody wants to see the league turn into the French / Italian top flights but financially there is still the massive gulf between the 'Top' teams and us. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

I've seen pundits make the same argument. "Anyone can beat anyone. The standard is poor." How did you get from A to B? You could have a league made up of 20 Liverpools and you'd get the same result.

Based on the desperate end to last season, the fact we've not looked great in the so-called pre-season, potential injuries and actual suspension to Evans I'd be delighted with a draw.

Hard to see where any creativity is likely to come from though.

Edited by reynard

10 minutes ago, reynard said:

Based on the desperate end to last season, the fact we've not looked great in the so-called pre-season, potential injuries and actual suspension to Evans I'd be delighted with a draw.

10 minutes ago, reynard said:

Would agree with an away draw not being the worst result whereas a defeat to a newly promoted side and following on from our poor end of season form would start ringing the alarm bells.

Edited by jerry
Error

I don't know how, I don't care how... But Barnes will shithouse one in from two yards and we will the stink the place down and win. 

Or West Brom will have a very routine and very simple 2-0 win, which is probably more likely as we have as much bottle as a panda pop. 

3 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Rodgers says he likes that Ndidi can play in a back three.

I would think that means we're looking at:

Schmeichel

Justin Ndidi Söyüncü

Castagne Mendy Tielemans Thomas

Perez Vardy Barnes

Subs: Ward, Knight, Choudhury, Maddison, Albrighton, Gray, Iheanacho

Probably the most interesting line from the conference.

Looks like 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3 is the way we’ll be going.

• Like 1