Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

I expect him to have quiet moments in games but he’s starting to create some great chances and is playing well.

He can’t have many more games like the Leeds game where he was persistently giving the ball away but thankfully games like that don’t happen too often.

He’s stepped up this season so far even though he started slowly with an injury.

Hes never gonna boss a game for 90mins but players like him don’t tend to anyway.

The switch when out of possession to get Maddison up alongside the striker seems to be helping his game a lot as it gives him a much better starting position when we start our transition into attack. He's trying the same things he always did, and more. He gets himself into the box more, drifts into really nice positions to link up with the wide players, and also plays a higher line. This season I think our system does a much better job of accommodating Tielemans and Maddison together, which has helped them both really up their levels.

41 minutes ago, Cameron Davidson said:

Still won’t get an England call up.... 🧐

Well he's never really deserved one. People bang on but his numbers were poor for someone who is supposed to be our main attacking threat.

However this season he has been better and, on current form, deserves a call up.

On 04/02/2021 at 18:21, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I'm a fan. But for as many chances as he creates, I think he squanders lots or slows the build up down. Now this isn't due to lack of talent - absolutely not. It's about decision making on the moment. He loves a body swerve or two and likes to invite contact. I just want him to keep his head up and keep the ball moving. It's not about 40 yard eye of a needle every time. It's about tempo and moving the oppos constantly around. Do that more efficiently and the bigger gaps will appear.

Before I get crap. This is a bit of cod analysis. NOT a criticism. As the lad is clearly very talented. 

I agree with you. Sometimes we focus on the highlights, but when you analyse the game as a whole he did have a tendency to slow the game down, make the wrong decision, fall down a bit too much, drop a bit too deep too much when he shouldn’t. These have been pointed out by quite a few before.

And another area for improvement for me is his long range passing - pretty bad compared to Tielemans - which is why he is much better at no.10 where his short passing works much better and he also would not get in the way of Tielemans.  (I know someone will point to some “40” yard pass, but if you look at them, they are the low ground level balls; Madders can’t really hit long balls with power and precison like Fuchs or even Tielemans can.) This I have mentioned in the past, I suspect he needs to get into the gym and bulked up more and get some more strength into his legs.  I really think this will improve his long range passing and corners!

But saying all that, I think he has improved a lot over the last few months. He is playing in his more natural position further up. He has taken criticisms on board, and he is reaping the benefits. Good on him.

At the beginning of the season, when he was still out, and we were winning by the way, I think quite a few thought Praet was a better partner to Tielemans, including actually for the very reasons you mentioned that Maddison is not as good at and needs to improve - because Praet plays the simpler ball and makes good forward runs diverting the defence for others (Maddison btw always runs for himself to get the ball and not for others). So if we go back to that period, I think it proves our / your point.

But again, having said that, he is much improved (still far from Mahrez or Grealish level) and I like him now. I just wish he does not take any more corners until he has built up more strength in his legs and meanwhile let someone else more capable take them! This there is no excuse and it is selfish - if Rodgers wouldn’t take you off, Madders, admit it, do it for the team, and let Tielemans, Barnes, Albrighton, Under or Thomas take them.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 04/02/2021 at 14:21, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I'm a fan. But for as many chances as he creates, I think he squanders lots or slows the build up down. Now this isn't due to lack of talent - absolutely not. It's about decision making on the moment. He loves a body swerve or two and likes to invite contact. I just want him to keep his head up and keep the ball moving. It's not about 40 yard eye of a needle every time. It's about tempo and moving the oppos constantly around. Do that more efficiently and the bigger gaps will appear.

Before I get crap. This is a bit of cod analysis. NOT a criticism. As the lad is clearly very talented. 

Very good young player and improving, but I agree he has things to work on. As you mention, he likes a body swerve or an “Instagram pass” - seems to think to much about shaping perfectly rather than playing on instinct sometimes and that split-second lets the opposition in. There was a spell when every touch was a little roll forward with the sole before attempting to spray a pass - Chilwell was doing it as well - and it frustrated me to watch it. He’s getting better but still guilty of overplaying sometimes and, as mentioned by others, needs to work on corners or just take a break from them. Would have fancied him over Tielemans in that position for the airshot at the end of the Wolves game. 

• Like 1

I thought so, the sort of game that he needed where he didn't necessarily play the biggest part but the team were lifted by him being there.

Noticed in the first half how much Ndidi and Tielemans missed him in front of them showing for the ball.

• Like 2

Guest bennytwohats
27 minutes ago, thegaffer9 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56030564

Interview on Football Focus tomorrow 

Fine line between backing yourself and being overconfident/arrogant, and I'm not sure Maddison always gets the right side of that to be honest. He's been great recently but still has the tendency to drift in and out of games - don't get me wrong, he's amazing for us and we'd miss him badly if he left, however I do think there are people in the England squad that are deservedly ahead of him. Impossible to know, but I wonder if a little more humility might actually help him develop into a better player than the one who already thinks he's good enough for England.

3 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

Fine line between backing yourself and being overconfident/arrogant, and I'm not sure Maddison always gets the right side of that to be honest. He's been great recently but still has the tendency to drift in and out of games - don't get me wrong, he's amazing for us and we'd miss him badly if he left, however I do think there are people in the England squad that are deservedly ahead of him. Impossible to know, but I wonder if a little more humility might actually help him develop into a better player than the one who already thinks he's good enough for England.

He’s not said one thing there I can see as arrogant. Could you copy and paste the arrogant bits please? X

• Like 1

I don't think he is arrogant at all, he just has confidence in himself. The important thing is he wants to learn all the time and listens to criticism as well as the praise so I therefore don't think he is over confident either. He clearly loves football. That to me is not an arrogant person! Brendan and his team mates speak very highly of him. I'm glad he is pushing for the England call as we all know that Madders, Barnes and JJ will not truly get the England recognition they will deserve if they don't push themselves forward. Its hard to dislodge the old time favourites in that England squad. I'm glad he is pushing himself forward and saying don't forget me. He is right!

Edited by Hales
  • Like 1

The reason our midfield gives the rest of team such confidence is because the team have total faith in Tielemans and Maddison to get the ball, keep it and distribute it with incisive and accurate passes whether they are forwards, sideways or backwards. 

Maddison's set peices aren't as great as KDB's or Ward-Prowses, but they aren't far off. I'd rather have Tielemans doing long range free kicks into the box and some corners because he floats them beautifully. However, if you have Maddison 25 yards out in and around the D then I get excited everytime because he is that kind of player that does put them away and scares defences.

His general play has got better as well although this is down to BR shifting his position behind into that no.9 slot. I'm surprised it's taken this long to put him there instead of keeping him on a leash in a more left/central area.

Guest bennytwohats
1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

He’s not said one thing there I can see as arrogant. Could you copy and paste the arrogant bits please? X

To me the 'I know I am good enough.' comes across as arrogant, as I think a lot of people would find that statement disagreeable - if he was clearly good enough then fair enough (although it's still the kind of thing humble people generally don't say out loud about themselves, even if they think it), but I think people (particularly those without a Leicester bias) would be hard pushed to say he's demonstrably ahead of the others in the England team based on what we see, despite his excellent recent form.

It's so predictable that he would have an interview licking his own arse the night before one of the biggest games of the season.

Previous huge games the guy has gone missing. I hope it's different tomorrow. 

The game tomorrow requires ruthless productivity - whether it be from passing or set pieces etc.

The reason he doesn't get into the England side is because you don't have time in a tournament to find your feet...it's 2 games MAX. You have to be ruthlessly effective. This kid is not that .....yet!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Eskay said:

It's so predictable that he would have an interview licking his own arse the night before one of the biggest games of the season.

Previous huge games the guy has gone missing. I hope it's different tomorrow. 

The game tomorrow requires ruthless productivity - whether it be from passing or set pieces etc.

The reason he doesn't get into the England side is because you don't have time in a tournament to find your feet...it's 2 games MAX. You have to be ruthlessly effective. This kid is not that .....yet!

You are aware it’s the media who say who they want to interview and not the other way round? Making it sound he’s gone out of his own way... 

It’s also likely this interview was a few days  ago as Football Focus doesn’t air until Saturday... 

Edited by SHANE_
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SHANE_ said:

You are aware it’s the media who say who they want to interview and not the other way round? Making it sound he’s gone out of his own way... 

It’s also likely this interview was a few days as Football Focus doesn’t air until Saturday... 

yes I am. I am also aware he can:

• Say no to the interview and let his football do the talking
  • Not brand himself as good enough for England.....when he hasn't made it yet or even near disrupting that group

Even if the chat was had a month ago...he still would know what game it goes out before.

• Haha 1

Part of me doesn't want him in the England squad as I would rather our players have a rest over the summer and be fully fit and raring to go next season but then on the other side of it is I know how important playing for England is to Madders and we dont want our players to want to leave as they feel they wont get an England call if they are playing for Leicester. 

29 minutes ago, Eskay said:

yes I am. I am also aware he can:

• Say no to the interview and let his football do the talking
  • Not brand himself as good enough for England.....when he hasn't made it yet or even near disrupting that group

Even if the chat was had a month ago...he still would know what game it goes out before.

Not sure this is a ridiculous boast given he's already got a cap

Lolz. What’s he supposed to say “I don’t think I’m good enough for England and never will be”. He always comes across as a decent guy when I hear him interviewed. And the thing he talks about most in that interview is training hard and improving. If arrogant means “younger than you and with more money so makes you feel bad about your life” then he’s guilty as charged I guess.

• Like 1