Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

17 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

His general play is average at best, for me. Changing to a 4-2-3-1 just means he can sit behind the holding midfielder(s) and go missing, and he no longer drops deep to find the ball like he did at his best for Norwich and for us under Puel.

Yet he keeps scoring and assisting. It's similar to Mahrez, except we would constantly look to and be able to get the ball to him, because he would drop to the halfway line and look for it off Simpson, then drag us up the pitch. Maddison does not have that effect, and we rely too much on Tielemans for that kind of playmaking - Barnes can do it in a more direct fashion which is something we've rarely had in recent memory, but playing the 'key pass before the assist' is not something Maddison is particularly good at for me.

I'm glad he's stopped dropping deep, he was a nuisance when doing this. Get him the ball on or around the edge of the box and he makes things happen. Class player

7 hours ago, FoxOnWheels said:

Regardless of wether he’s having a good game or not he always has the bit in him where he can still score or assist out of nowhere

It is obviously the case that he's got great skills - anyone putting together one of those YouTube skill videos can be selective and produce a great sequence.  But in the games where he seems to go missing - is that his fault, or maybe we should look at the instructions he gets from the coach, or the team structure.

18 hours ago, TK95 said:

Actually didn't think he had a great game prior to that goal lol

Who cares. Did it when needed 

17 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

No, mind you I thought the lot of them were garbage bar Wilf and Ricardo for 3/4 of the game tbf 

17 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

His general play is average at best, for me. Changing to a 4-2-3-1 just means he can sit behind the holding midfielder(s) and go missing, and he no longer drops deep to find the ball like he did at his best for Norwich and for us under Puel.

Yet he keeps scoring and assisting. It's similar to Mahrez, except we would constantly look to and be able to get the ball to him, because he would drop to the halfway line and look for it off Simpson, then drag us up the pitch. Maddison does not have that effect, and we rely too much on Tielemans for that kind of playmaking - Barnes can do it in a more direct fashion which is something we've rarely had in recent memory, but playing the 'key pass before the assist' is not something Maddison is particularly good at for me.

Maddison is brilliant.  It is not easy for him to shine constantly as highly skilled opponents are aware of his ability and targeting him.  He takes risks and so is bound to make mistakes  it enough of them come off for him to be considered a top, top player.  

I agree that N'didi was excellent.  Perreira's class was also clear to see particularly taking into account how early he is in to his come back.  I thought the team were far from 'garbage.  We had a game plan against a Liverpool side packed with accomplished players.  Mane rarely looked dangerous.  Salah did.  On balance, I thought we had the better chances but I might be wearing obstacles.  It was frustrating now often our play broke down but to score three goals and not convert some other presentable chances shows the game plan was working.  At 1-0 down, I was convinced we would lose... but not for long.  Overall, it was a master-class by an injury ravaged team.

The back heeled flick for Vardy when he hit the bar yesterday was sublime and every bit as good as the skill from Firmino for their goal. Also scored.

Yes he was not in the game as much as we would have liked but when your team spends so long defending in numbers without the ball, it is hard to influence a game. 

The fact is his free kick turned the game on its head and that is what he is a game changer. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

Last season as it went on,  I think he and brendan has a go at making him more of an eight with a view to his England prospects. That had a negative effect on us because we need him higher up the pitch 

I expect the decision has now been made that his best position is a ten and trying to make him into a different player is counter productive 

3 hours ago, SkidsFox said:

It is obviously the case that he's got great skills - anyone putting together one of those YouTube skill videos can be selective and produce a great sequence.  But in the games where he seems to go missing - is that his fault, or maybe we should look at the instructions he gets from the coach, or the team structure.

Think it could be all them factors and also the opposition snuffing him out 

5 hours ago, majaco said:

Maddison is brilliant.  It is not easy for him to shine constantly as highly skilled opponents are aware of his ability and targeting him.  He takes risks and so is bound to make mistakes  it enough of them come off for him to be considered a top, top player.  

I agree that N'didi was excellent.  Perreira's class was also clear to see particularly taking into account how early he is in to his come back.  I thought the team were far from 'garbage.  We had a game plan against a Liverpool side packed with accomplished players.  Mane rarely looked dangerous.  Salah did.  On balance, I thought we had the better chances but I might be wearing obstacles.  It was frustrating now often our play broke down but to score three goals and not convert some other presentable chances shows the game plan was working.  At 1-0 down, I was convinced we would lose... but not for long.  Overall, it was a master-class by an injury ravaged team.

Terrible for 75 minutes, the only thing we did well was limit there really clear cut chances but that was again because Wilf and Ricardo were a big part of that, on the balance of play you could see us going behind and the goal summed up the performance to that point perfectly. Amartey bombs forward gives the ball away then falls over, Tilemans gets back bails him out then plays a pointless cross field ball gives the ball away again then bang 1-0. We just did not retain the ball anywhere near enough or anywhere as much as we have been in other games.

We did manage to break away three times in the first half but then this is why Vardy is included in those not being up to scratch because against Liverpool those chances need to be taken, normally.

last 15-20 minutes we turned up and they collapsed, it was like watching two different games.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It is quite obvious that he is an intelligent lad and a fine player but your career can go downhill quickly if you don't have discipline. Sportsmen have to make sacrifices and you have to accept that you can't behave like other young men of your age. Let us hope that this is the last time he f**is up. Too many talented young players have let it slip off the field.

• Sad 1

Maddison tielemans ndidi have started ~ 40 games in midfield (not counting maddison on the wing) for us since rodgers has arrived and have gotten ~85 points (!) from just those games. They are the backbone of our team and having just one not start usually sees a massive drop in performance, like it or not we badly need maddison back in the starting XI as soon as possible even if he did **** up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

I suspect JM10 would have been moving on irrelevant of this; but that's another thread.

The club sell top players only at the peak of their value.  Maddison's hip, his recent behavior, and a depressed buyers' market will cost us many millions if we sell him this summer.

But given your recent track record, I'll accept that as fact.  Can you enlighten us on who (player or team) first decided to move on?

31 minutes ago, KingsX said:

The club sell top players only at the peak of their value.  Maddison's hip, his recent behavior, and a depressed buyers' market will cost us many millions if we sell him this summer.

But given your recent track record, I'll accept that as fact.  Can you enlighten us on who (player or team) first decided to move on?

Not fact mate; just opinion in this instance.

I do agree with you, but also our owners just don't tolerate damage to reputation/brand. Principle means a lot in a club like ours.

JM10 wants to play for Manchester United, but we all know that, that's pretty much a matter of public record.

10 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Not fact mate; just opinion in this instance.

I do agree with you, but also our owners just don't tolerate damage to reputation/brand. Principle means a lot in a club like ours.

JM10 wants to play for Manchester United, but we all know that, that's pretty much a matter of public record.

His issue with wanting to play for Man United is the fact he's behind Fernandes, Van der Beek and likely Pogba. Every big team has his position pretty much covered currently.