Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

Wesley Fofana: Signs For LCFC

7 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

They can throw as many bank notes at winning the title as they want, but they’ll never ever be the Man Utd of old, there is no romance about there current squad that they used to portray under Fergie. I don’t care if they win the league this year as far as I’m concerned it counts for nothing when they seemingly can’t adapt to the current market; and we all can see there is no longevity in such transfer strategies. Maybe not this season or the next but they’ll return to mediocrity.

FWIW, my take on Glazer-era Man U is that it's a business, not a football club.  The football is secondary to maximizing overseas (especially Asian) income.  These hordes of fans in undemocratic, developing countries have little control over their own lives.  All the good stuff is for the powers that be.  They must content themselves with the scraps.

But -- for the price of a shirt (or a bottle of the sponsor’s drink, if you’re poor), you’ve flipped your own script.  For 90 minutes you inhabit a world where the playing field is recognizably slanted -- but suddenly in your favor.

.

Manchester UnitedTM can buy all the famous players, and tough tofu to the other clubs.  Manchester UnitedTM benefit over and over from referee’s decisions that remind you of the magistrate who screwed your uncle.  But in this 90-minute world, it’s all going your way!  Win or lose, by following this behemoth you get the illusion of being in power.

It’s not a great football club.  But it’s a perfect product aimed at these consumers, because that's what it has decided to be.  And having perfected the art of monetizing them, it generates enough revenue to wipe away the footballing flaws.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Pablito said:

A well deserved pay rise when we signed him, he was on £870 a week at Saint-Étienne. 😳

That was his youth contract pay I think. He signed a new contract with St-E just a few months ago after breaking into their first team, which would have been significantly more (surely at least 10k). He's probably on closer to 40k with us given his transfer fee.

Edited by brucey
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Gingers - the last frontier of racial abuse. We are different. No body likes us but luckily we’re not all Millwall fans. 

Anyway Scholes - he’s a massive bellend, but by god he was a cracking player. 

Take a knee -  'Bell-ends Matter'  -  Sky Sports Football support this movement massively.

Someone here talking about Scholes............

'Fofana though will be a very difficult player to sign, perhaps impossible right now. And Scholes, a pundit who has previously told United to sign Harry Kane as if it is as simple as buying an item from a supermarket shelf, forgets the realities and difficulties of the transfer market.'

42 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Someone here talking about Scholes............

'Fofana though will be a very difficult player to sign, perhaps impossible right now. And Scholes, a pundit who has previously told United to sign Harry Kane as if it is as simple as buying an item from a supermarket shelf, forgets the realities and difficulties of the transfer market.'

Honestly you would think they were just random blokes down the pub building a fantasy team, rather than ex-pro's. "Sign Fofana", "Sign Kane" is a tad embarrasing now.

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Honestly you would think they were just random blokes down the pub building a fantasy team, rather than ex-pro's. "Sign Fofana", "Sign Kane" is a tad embarrasing now.

The 'genius' of ferguson was saying things like 'sign Cole from Newcastle'... no wonder they dominated! 

Scholes is on a different planet. He really think Woodward would sign a player for 70-80mill in Jan after we signed him for 30mill 6 months ago- this would go down great with their owners. 

I don’t even know why this is ‘news’. Ex-professional says old club should sign a good player from another team.... wow some world class reporting right there 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dylanlegend said:

Scholes is on a different planet. He really think Woodward would sign a player for 70-80mill in Jan after we signed him for 30mill 6 months ago- this would go down great with their owners. 

I don’t even know why this is ‘news’. Ex-professional says old club should sign a good player from another team.... wow some world class reporting right there 

I think we'd probably ask for a bit more than £70-80m.

A club trying to sign a rival's player a few months after they signed him is something that just does not happen at this level these days. You would think someone paid to talk about the sport would know this, but apparently not. Scholes clearly thinks it's still 1995 and Man Utd can have whatever player they like.

Edited by Raw Dykes
  • Like 1

On 05/01/2021 at 12:37, talking_goldfish said:

Those criticising Maguire for his tenure at Leicester must have short-term memories. An £80m player he may not have been and we were right to sell to that Manchester team, however he certainly shored up our defence and made some quite tasty runs up field which is something we didn't have in our team previously.

If you have 10 and a half mins of your life to spare just check out this vid showing some prime Maguire at Leicester, he was surely one of our better players and improved our side no end. Yes, Evans was a great player beside him but you could argue that Little Wes also looks so good because he has a "proper defender" next to him and if/when we trial the Little Wes / Cags partnership it may not be as wonderful as we all imagine.

Luckily for us we sold Maguire with a great player in Soyuncu ready and waiting in the wings and we have since signed the awesome Wesley Fofana, but make no mistake Maguire was (and still is) an awesome defender.

Watched it and he did well for us on the whole. One thing that struck me from the video was how much he used his arms and because he always ran with them well out from his body he seemed to always get away with it. Whatever he's doing in this video I'm always aware of his arms. Not something I like much but if its a style a LCFC player has and he gets away with it then I'll stomach it.

Great management by BR last night - subs were spot on, particularly bringing Cags on. Now he needs to manage Fofana carefully over the next couple of days so he understands the rationale - equally Fofana needs to be open to it and accept that he was likely to make a mistake at some point soon. 

• Like 3