Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ktfox59

Injuries at the club.

On 19/02/2021 at 09:42, Aus Fox said:

Seriously though with injuries, Praet and JJ are out for most of the season we’ve now effectively got a 22 man squad for the remainder of the season - 3 of which  are goalkeepers.

Also included in that 22 is Captain Morgan - who in my opinion is unlikely to play for us again.

We now have Fofana and Perez out injured and not a lot of quality ready to step up from the U23s. 
There is no room to rotate and we are still alive in three competitions.

It could be a tough end to the season.

Never mind end of season its tough from here on in with an especially tough minispell of Man U in the cup and ManC (H) and West Ham away coming up. We wanted "tough",.Untough would be safe mid=table, no injuries and bored to F---. I'm glad we've achieved tough. That's success and we've probably gained some extra respect in getting there. Lets hope we've always got "tough." When we have n't we've started the descent into mediocrity and a more pathetic and painful kind of tough. The sort we often used to have before 2015/6 and most clubs  have.Thank you Nigel, Claudio , the owners and Brendan (and probably others) for changing the kind of Tough we have. 

I think the key is how BR handles Cengis Ünder. Whether BR trusts him is immaterial . The facts are he is an asset, fully fit AFAiK, and the best player we are not using effectively. We need him and partly due to how the cookie has crumbled and partly how he's been handled the solution is important and needs some attention from BR. Ünder is stocky and compact and the importance of integrating him fully is he's imo less  prone to injuries from here on than the more slightly built Maddison and Tielemans. I can't see an easy way of integrating him into the team and providing cover for Tielemsns and Maddison but there is one (there is always a solution) and BR is paid welI to find  that way. I feel he will altho he probably needs a bit of prodding to start thinking about it. 

The left side of the team is fine.as it is although injuries could change that . I did n't foresee JJ being injured. I forgot everyone is human . We've coped well with that. (thanks ,Luke) If we could find a way to get the right side as good that's part insurance against injuries to the left side . 

The right side has Castagne and Pereira which worked well v Villa (first half) and potentially Ünder. I have no idea of BR/Ünder planning and relationships  but suspect Ünder is a little pissed off with his "chances" so far (he probably has n't complained ) and handling and I'm not sure BR has yet realised he and the team needs him. I suspect BR would prefer other options but to my mind a great manager utilises the options he's got, not the options he'd like. I think its important he forgets the other options and concentrates on this one, which admittedly would be a change of direction. Thats OK and a very good sign, not the change but having the ability to change.

I have some ideas on how we could use our biggest unused asset but rather than type my possibly stupid (but more likely brilliant) ideas surely someone with more football knowledge on the forum has some  and we'd all be impressed to hear them,  I at least promise not to laugh mainly because I don't like being laughed at (but I can stand it). The obvious way is to regard Ünder as a reflection of Barnes but he's not and I have a feeling that does n't work. Ünder so far has been a more traditional type of winger than Barnes. He tends to cut in later (further up the field), he tends to dribble past players ,where Barnes tends to run round them. Both styles can be equally effective and result in an equally useful product..  

Edited by Alan Frost
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Fofana, Praet, Justin, Perez and now Maddison from the first team squad out through injury. 

Anyone else? 

Morgan, but that doesn't make too much difference at the moment. Surely we can't continue this record of somehow coping with so many players constantly side lined, it's got to catch up with us sooner rather than later. 

2 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Fofana, Praet, Maddison all returning in time to get called up for the upcoming round of internationals. 

T'riffic :rolleyes:

:nigel:

I don't think any will get called up purely on the basis that they won't be properly match fit, especially the first 2. And Maddison's latest injury gives Southgate an excuse not to pick him. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

Fofana, Praet, Maddison all returning in time to get called up for the upcoming round of internationals. 

T'riffic :rolleyes:

:nigel:

I doubt they will all be called up .. little wes will need to regain fitness so wouldn’t have a problem if he was

dennis’ Belgian squad position is pretty secure so I suspect he will do what’s best for his recovery/fitness 

madders is a problem - he must be desperate to be selected....missed last autumn’s on the back of fitness issues early in the campaign 

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

You can't vouch for those sorts of injuries, it's just pure bad luck. Muscle injuries maybe. 

We didn’t pick up a single injury when we won the league and few the season after when we played in Europe.  Physio team got loads of plaudits. What has changed? Not sure if it’s all bad luck. 

• Like 1

Its not the pitch that's the problem. Its matches on two three days rest without a break and with a squad that needs more quality. We don't have a top 4 squad built for this type of stress.