Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mickyblueeyes

Ben Chilwell

1 minute ago, Mr Weller said:

He said he lost his confidence rather than suffer from serious mental health issues. Some people seem to think any loss in confidence is a medical issue; it’s not, it’s a normal reaction to a job with highs and lows.

Chilwell wasn’t great at times and clearly wasn’t himself but there is no suggestion it was an episode of clinical depression. People with serious issues deserve our real compassion and support but unless you know otherwise this sounds like a young player who had a wobble.

He said it affected his every day life so that's clearly more just a confidence issue.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Weller said:

He said he lost his confidence rather than suffer from serious mental health issues. Some people seem to think any loss in confidence is a medical issue; it’s not, it’s a normal reaction to a job with highs and lows.

Chilwell wasn’t great at times and clearly wasn’t himself but there is no suggestion it was an episode of clinical depression. People with serious issues deserve our real compassion and support but unless you know otherwise this sounds like a young player who had a wobble.

No-one is saying there was clinical depression or anything that extreme.

I think the main point Chilwell is making is that it's good to talk to people even when you're having a tough time, be it lack of confidence or something a bit more deep-rooted and worse.

For all we know it might have been serious but he just didn't say as much. Something clearly affected him and people need to think twice about what they say/do because they have no idea what that person might be going through...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bmt said:

Cant wait for a load of you lot to deflect blame. 

Good lad who got a load of abuse for no reason.

Look this is the kind of unbalanced post that causes the controversy.

We're all Leicester fans who share the passion for our team. The players rightly or wrongly will be under the microscope constantly. Some personalities will be more susceptible to criticism than others, it's just the way it is. 

To say "he got abuse for no reason" is such a lazy statement that will just add fuel to the fire as if you're now with hindsight on your high horse playing some sort of moral hero. 

Chilwell was under scrutiny like any professional footballer. He was shit for quite a while and took some abuse. I don't know what the answer is, more support when players are young  in this topic perhaps?

I think clubs need to be more mindful of the personalities they have in the squad and direct support where needed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My issue is he clearly was suffering, that's was clear and Brendan said at the time they were providing him with a pathway of support to help and still "supporters" booed him and hounded him on social media etc. That's ridiculous and clearly isn't going to help with the issues he had. Support your own if they are so obviously suffering. I dont understand the lack of empathy.

Edited by Hales

1 minute ago, matty98 said:

It's an absolute disgrace the abuse Chilwell got from some 'fans'. He came through our academy and became a first team and England regular but that isn't enough for some 'fans'. Absolutely embarrassing. 

Abuse really on a match day he hardly got any stick it was hardly Ghezzal levels it was constructive criticism at worst lol do you think he reads this forum or takes any notice of the odd Instagram negative post! 

• Like 1

I'm not interested in whether BC had mental problems or still has them. He has never been able to do good crosses and he will continue to do so.

I think it was more the big money from Chelsea that turned his head and he really seems to think he's a very good LB.

Finally I'm very happy he's no longer playing for the Foxes....

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

Sorry, are you suggesting that there is ever justification for getting abuse?

Before the game I watched a video of a Leicester fan dancing around naked in Belgium with his bladder stick swinging around as people egged him on. Would that be ok for him to do that in a schoo or supermarketl? 

"Abuse" can't be used as a term that translates across society with the same meaning. 

Chilwell took "football abuse" which like or hate it will always be here no matter what.

• Like 1

It's a shame that mental health, reading a post or two in here (well, the idiotic and ignorant comments before they rightfully got deleted), is still a taboo.

Hope the ones who dismiss such a frustrating 'illness', deal with it alone well if they ever encounter the difficulties within it..

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 2

I know the struggle had a athlete cant name. Crying there eyes out once saying how they would swap jobs with me any day of the weeks cos even tho he has all the money in the world he never gets to enjoy it cos he's cant wait what he wants cant do what he wants or buy what he wants

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mucfox said:

I'm not interested in whether BC had mental problems or still has them. He has never been able to do good crosses and he will continue to do so.

I think it was more the big money from Chelsea that turned his head and he really seems to think he's a very good LB.

He’s not great defensively, he’s good at getting forward and his final ball is woeful at times but I’d rather have him at left back than any of our current options!

• Haha 1

There was a guy in the stand that I sit, who even during our winning run would slate Chilwell at least 10 times a game. He sits 3 rows from the front so there is no doubt Chilwell could have heard it. He was certainly scapegoated by a fair section of our fans imo. 

Did he say he was depressed or just that his confidence took a hit? Surely there’s a difference.  Everyone suffers from a lack of confidence in one way or the other, but not everyone suffers from depression. I have always considered there to be a big difference in the two. 

as someone who has suffered from depression many times over the years I’m concerned that the way the newspaper have worded this, that it will trivialize depressed in so much as people will think those with depression just need to get a bit of confidence back and they’ll be fine..

Edited by MPH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mucfox said:

Well you should be. Someone's mental health is way more important that their football ability. He is as it happens is a very good left back. One of the world's biggest football clubs has just paid £45 million for his services, and he is first choice for his country.

I'd like to nominate your post for the award of being one of the top five most unpleasant and uninformed posts in the long history of Foxestalk.

Other than all good

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

all going well for him at Chelsea and I'm good with that - I never understood the vitriol directed at him . He will be under as much pressure there to keep his standards high- he saw the hostile reaction before he even signed- if he hits a rocky patch they will be all over him

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Before the game I watched a video of a Leicester fan dancing around naked in Belgium with his bladder stick swinging around as people egged him on. Would that be ok for him to do that in a school or supermarket? 

Can you try and explain to me the relevance of this question please?

• Like 1

It's alright I'm sure one of our resident experts can confirm that he's not good enough to warrant being alive!

I'm sorry this wasn't my original post but I saw some really shitty posts in the meantime  and I just couldn't take any more

Edited by nwl fox
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Look this is the kind of unbalanced post that causes the controversy.

We're all Leicester fans who share the passion for our team. The players rightly or wrongly will be under the microscope constantly. Some personalities will be more susceptible to criticism than others, it's just the way it is. 

To say "he got abuse for no reason" is such a lazy statement that will just add fuel to the fire as if you're now with hindsight on your high horse playing some sort of moral hero. 

Chilwell was under scrutiny like any professional footballer. He was shit for quite a while and took some abuse. I don't know what the answer is, more support when players are young  in this topic perhaps?

I think clubs need to be more mindful of the personalities they have in the squad and direct support where needed. 

Yeah I can remember you were incredibly balanced in posting about Chilwell

• Haha 2

Really happy to see Ben kicking on a bit. It was clear that his confidence was low last season at times, but he is very good player.

I wish our fans didn’t turn on our academy products so quickly, I love to see our youth products get into the first team. Really happy for Hamza tonight too - he seems to be the most recent target for disproportionate criticism. 

• Like 2