Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Transfer targets 2020/21

6 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Everyone is taking about needing to replace Vardy in a year or two. But is it possible, given his late entry into the professional game, the way he is playing these days (ie conserving energy and just focusing on goal scoring), advances in fitness training and his naturally lean physique, that he could play at the top level for another 4 or 5 years? Ibrahimovic is still highly effective at 39, for example.

Thats the spirit. I really hope you're right. Football won't be the same for me after he retires. 

How the hell do you replace Vardy, clubs greatest ever striker? Certainly agree there are no immediate signs but realistically do we see past next seasons end as he approaches 36? 

I havent a clue how you do it. All I know is you look at the characteristics. Hunger, willingness, loyalty, mental strength, speed, flexibility to develop. It's highly unlikely his successor will be snapped up for peanuts in a 2nd/3rd tier. It may be the club arent looking for a direct comparison but those attributes have served us so well. It's the one position we simply have to get right....one day.

10 hours ago, ballisimo said:

Me personally, I think I’d like to see us bring Kramaric back. We got shot far too quick and he’s turning out to be a brilliant finisher. Would cost us a lot more than the figure we paid back then though, however a great shout.

He's 29 already. Probably not a long term solution. 

He would fit much better now than he did when we signed him though. 

Edouard is worth the gamble i think. It's likely his value has decreased somewhat, possibly to the point where even if he didn't work out as a starting calibre player, he'd even be value as a bench striking option who can offer more to us than Iheanacho does.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

Regarding the Vardy chat above ^^

Would love him to be be fully firing for the next few years but it’s not gonna happen regardless of when he entered the pro game growing old is growing old.

i personally think we should play smart with the rest of his career and start to reserve his fuel for the big games when we want to counter attack. He’s not as effective anyway when the weaker teams park the bus against us and we fail to break them down so might be better for us to get an alternative striker.

Edited by les-tah

27 minutes ago, les-tah said:

Regarding the Vardy chat above ^^

Would love him to be be fully firing for the next few years but it’s not gonna happen regardless of when he entered the pro game growing old is growing old.

i personally think we should play smart with the rest of his career and start to reserve his fuel for the big games when we want to counter attack. He’s not as effective anyway when the weaker teams park the bus against us and we fail to break them down so might be better for us to get an alternative striker.

I agree. 

As unthinkable as it is right now to have Vardy start on the bench every game, having a top class striker that we could rely on to score regularly would extend Vardy' career even longer and we would have real firepower in reserve for when we really needed it. 

As nice as it is having a striker we can rely on, I don't think I'm alone in feeling slightly uneasy at how over reliant we are on Jamie. Not to mention, having a team mate he can share the burden with would take the pressure of of JV and allow him to enjoy his last few years a bit more. 

The only problem is finding a striker within our means who can do what Jamie does week in week out...

• Like 1

What about Eddie Nketiah from Arsenal, very much doubt they would sell but he is being held back there currently despite their current 3 not firing, has so much potential and could be the Vardy mini me.

U21 stats for club and country very impressive beat Shearers record for Eng

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CloudFox said:

I mean he looks like a great finisher, but it's so hard to tell how good he is against some absolutely diabolical defending lol

...I  can understand your reservation!!!

He is a natural finisher, he just steers the ball in as opposed to trying to knock the skin off the ball. He seems to have a knack of getting in the right spot, he just feels right for us.

11 minutes ago, Fosse93 said:

Sarr from Watford, pay what it takes. His potential is scary. 

I'm not sure we need a direct replacement for Vardy, not yet anyway. An interchanging front three of Barnes - Sarr - Under would score goals IMO. 

Plus that way we'd have a player on the bench we could utilise in any of the attacking three positions, rather than having someone sitting around waiting for JV to retire. 

Very quick - not sure about his technical ability - Lloyd Dyer on acid?

Just now, Nick said:

Very quick - not sure about his technical ability - Lloyd Dyer on acid?

Valid concern however I think we have enough 'technicians' in the squad, more pace in the forward areas is defintiely needed IMO. Let's not forget Vardy was technically not the best when we first signed him, his first touch was atrocious! Plus, Sarr is only 22 so plenty of time to improve. 

One of his finishes against Liverpool last year was sublime, I can't dig it out as on my phone at work but there's a potentially world class player there I reckon. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Adama Traore linked to Leeds and not getting a game at Wolves due to his contract situation. Wonder what’s going on there, but if we got Champions League in the summer...

If he is available at all he should be our number 1 target. He scares defenders and would create space for the other players just by being on the pitch. 

3 minutes ago, frany104 said:

If he is available at all he should be our number 1 target. He scares defenders and would create space for the other players just by being on the pitch. 

He can do much better than Leeds.. scary pace and power would love that signing.

Edited by les-tah

3 hours ago, BKLFox said:

What about Eddie Nketiah from Arsenal, very much doubt they would sell but he is being held back there currently despite their current 3 not firing, has so much potential and could be the Vardy mini me.

U21 stats for club and country very impressive beat Shearers record for Eng

The one we should have gone for was Folarin Balogun from Arsenal, I suggested him last summer when Brentford were linked. Arsenal wanted up to £8m including various add ins which put Brentford off and they went for Toney instead.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Adama Traore is a routinely average footballer who had a purple patch a while ago, be a monumentally underwhelming signing

He’s that average that oppo teams double up on him every game. You clearly know more than all the other prem managers put together then. 

23 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Adama Traore is a routinely average footballer who had a purple patch a while ago, be a monumentally underwhelming signing

You're right. He's always looked a threat, but has no end-product. I can remember Boro fans complaining about him all the time. There's a reason he's not getting in the Wolves team.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Goals and assists record is absolutely abysmal

It’s always about goals and assists. Look at the space her creates for others. He’s constantly doubled up on and that would help Maddison and Barnes no end. Having some like Traore in your side is so threatening. 

oppo full backs wouldn’t bomb on knowing they can’t leave their side of the pitch exposed.