Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Transfer targets 2020/21

1 hour ago, winteriscoming said:

Tarkowski is such a West Ham type signing. As already stated I would look at a forward. We missed a trick imo on not getting Bowen or adams when they were available. January is always a difficult time to try and sign anyone. As long as we don’t end up with another Ryan Bennett I’ll be happy. 

West Ham in what way? Their signings have been pretty good last twelve months. Seems odd to give them stick for players and then say we should sign Bowen 

• Like 2

Guest StevieLynex
42 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

If there's one thing that will be going on behind the scenes, it will be planning for Vardy's retirement.

That will be in 2030

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Can't see us spending too much in the summer unless we sell someone, probably 50m or so again. We've got Morgan and Fuchs to replace, we'll obviously get nothing for them so the only bonus will be saved wages. Gray and Slimani we might get something for in January, if not then they'll also both be off in the summer for nothing. That's four players we need to replace in the squad, that could easily be the whole budget spent.

We've got Matty James for another 18 months as well, hopefully he can be sold in January or next summer for at least something. Finally, Unders next 5 months here will be critical if we're going to sign him, needs to get more game time and put in some good performances.

I agree - we probably won't be spending big in the summer. I don't think many clubs will be compared to seasons gone, and I think we'll be mainly be looking at young prospects unless we have to replace a key player. I did think Ricardo would be sold, but maybe his injury changes that.

Morgan is only an emergency backup now. He doesn't really need replacing. Knight (or Benkovic if he can put injuries behind him. Big if, I know) can be 5th/6th choice CB. Fuchs has played a lot recently, but only because of injuries. I think Thomas is his replacement. Slimani has been surplus for years. Doesn't need replacing, just needs binning off. You could argue that Under is Gray's replacement, although I think we could maybe use another young striker/winger/wide forward in the squad. In a perfect world, I think we'd sign a young striker as Vardy's apprentice who could also play out wide so he can fill in more than one position and get more minutes as a result.

I doubt we'll get anything for Gray or Slimani. Even if we wanted to sell, I think they'll both be eyeing a big pay day in the off-season.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Hamza sold and KDH replace him in the squad in the summer.

2 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I agree - we probably won't be spending big in the summer. I don't think many clubs will be compared to seasons gone, and I think we'll be mainly be looking at young prospects unless we have to replace a key player. I did think Ricardo would be sold, but maybe his injury changes that.

Morgan is only an emergency backup now. He doesn't really need replacing. Knight (or Benkovic if he can put injuries behind him. Big if, I know) can be 5th/6th choice CB. Fuchs has played a lot recently, but only because of injuries. I think Thomas is his replacement. Slimani has been surplus for years. Doesn't need replacing, just needs binning off. You could argue that Under is Gray's replacement, although I think we could maybe use another young striker/winger/wide forward in the squad. In a perfect world, I think we'd sign a young striker as Vardy's apprentice who could also play out wide so he can fill in more than one position and get more minutes as a result.

I doubt we'll get anything for Gray or Slimani. Even if we wanted to sell, I think they'll both be eyeing a big pay day in the off-season.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Hamza sold and KDH replace him in the squad in the summer.

Agree with most of your points.

I think Morgan will be replaced by Benko or Knight, the other one will be loaned out then sold, but I do think we'll sign another CB, as we like to use 3 at the back. Under was Grays replacement, but still think it leaves us a little short on the wing, would ideally like Under (If proven to be good enough) and someone else, especially as Albrighton probably only has 2 or 3 years left with us. Would like a replacement for Slimani in some respect, we can't function on two strikers.

What's worrying is that we need to dish out new contracts too, Ricardo, Cags, Iheanacho and Tielemans all need new deals. Amarteys only have 18 months left on it too. I think we could do with a couple of older experienced freebies to fill in for a couple of years.

A lot will depend on if we qualify for Europe again, if we do we'll need a squad as big as it is this year, if not then we might not need to replace all the players leaving or retiring.

• Like 1

I’m fearful of Jovic, was good in the Frankfurt system with Rebic and Haller around him but for some reason has flopped at Madrid... he’d have to be an option to buy deal for us to entertain it at all.

Edouard would be a more interesting option and considerably cheaper.

13 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Agree with most of your points.

I think Morgan will be replaced by Benko or Knight, the other one will be loaned out then sold, but I do think we'll sign another CB, as we like to use 3 at the back. Under was Grays replacement, but still think it leaves us a little short on the wing, would ideally like Under (If proven to be good enough) and someone else, especially as Albrighton probably only has 2 or 3 years left with us. Would like a replacement for Slimani in some respect, we can't function on two strikers.

What's worrying is that we need to dish out new contracts too, Ricardo, Cags, Iheanacho and Tielemans all need new deals. Amarteys only have 18 months left on it too. I think we could do with a couple of older experienced freebies to fill in for a couple of years.

A lot will depend on if we qualify for Europe again, if we do we'll need a squad as big as it is this year, if not then we might not need to replace all the players leaving or retiring.

Likewise - agree with much of this.

Re: centre-backs. I think it will mostly depend on injuries. I think we've used 3 at the back so much because we've been without Ndidi, Soyuncu, Ricardo and Castagne for so long. I think Brendan's said that he won't make a back 4 the norm until his first choice defence is available. So, if they're all or mostly fit, then we will probably only need 4 or 5 CBs in the squad. With Evans, Soyuncu and Fofana, I think we have 3 excellent options and it might be a problem giving them all their fair share of games if we're mainly using a back 4. Then you've got Amartey or Knight (or Ndidi in an emergency) as backup. If we are to carry on with 3 at the back, or we continue to struggle with injuries in defence, then I agree there is perhaps room for one more, although JJ can deputise in a 3 very well as we've seen.

Re: wingers. I do agree that we could maybe use another young winger, especially if we're mainly using a back 4. Under's not played much so far, but I think that has much to do with the formation we've been using, and him getting fit and adjusted to the PL.

Re: strikers. I stand by my point. Slimani's been out on loan for years and hasn't been missed. We only ever use one striker, so two in the squad is probably enough. We can play Perez or Barnes as a no.9 in a pinch. It's a problem pretty much every club faces. How do you attract a striker good enough to fill in for your main man, who is also happy to sit on the bench all the time? I think the best answer is to find one who can also play out wide, so that they get on the pitch more often. It's certainly not an easy problem to solve, though.

I agree re: contracts. I hope we're working on those. I saw yesterday that Evans is about to sign a new contract, so that's a good start. I'm sure the club will be doing all it can to retain those players (with the exception of Nacho, who I wouldn't be surprised to see replaced).

You are right - being in Europe will be a factor in the size of the squad, I'm sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Is that true?

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/wolves-aim-land-leicester-reject-ivan-toney-today-4050694#popup-sso

'Toney grew up in Northampton but was snapped up by Leicester's academy only to be released as a 16-year-old. '

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2014/11/26/wolves-close-to-500000-deal-for-ivan-toney/

Looks to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

We need to get a top prospect and then loan him to leuven

Not sure about that. 

If a prospect was of the kind of quality that would be improved by playing for Leuven, he'd either have to be so young as to not necessarily be the right age to be Vardy's immediate successor or just of questionable quality. 

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Wow that’s a huge shame. Big fan of him.   Personally I think he will be better than Watkins. Perhaps we can grab him in the summer, but I have a feeling brentford will do it this season. 

Even though Vardy is approaching 34 he’s not slowing down in terms of pace or goals.

The likes of Jovic or Eduoard could have to sit on the bench and wait for two years until they’re the main man.

Its either we sign someone of that standard and they’ll have to understand that they need to be patient, we sign them now and Vardy understands that there is will be some rotation (can’t see that happening) or we wait until he’s done and worry about it then. 

Whilst the signing of a young understudy may appeal, imo we need someone able to hit the ground running and produce results straight away. He’s imperative to how we play so can’t afford to get this wrong 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ballisimo said:

Me personally, I think I’d like to see us bring Kramaric back. We got shot far too quick and he’s turning out to be a brilliant finisher. Would cost us a lot more than the figure we paid back then though, however a great shout.

He'll be 30 at the end of the season, hardly the long term Vardy replacement I'd imagine we are looking for. 

1 hour ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

Even though Vardy is approaching 34 he’s not slowing down in terms of pace or goals.

The likes of Jovic or Eduoard could have to sit on the bench and wait for two years until they’re the main man.

Its either we sign someone of that standard and they’ll have to understand that they need to be patient, we sign them now and Vardy understands that there is will be some rotation (can’t see that happening) or we wait until he’s done and worry about it then. 

Whilst the signing of a young understudy may appeal, imo we need someone able to hit the ground running and produce results straight away. He’s imperative to how we play so can’t afford to get this wrong 

....Batuhan Kor..19 years old, a natural!!!

Perfect time to bring him in and he will get games, I am sure.

13 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....Batuhan Kor..19 years old, a natural!!!

Perfect time to bring him in and he will get games, I am sure.

I mean he looks like a great finisher, but it's so hard to tell how good he is against some absolutely diabolical defending lol

Edited by CloudFox

17 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-tipped-ideal-club-4829862?fbclid=IwAR3Oxc27MiqyldMjMcfmsR3Vv0TVgMZjyByQ6QxXgTO3Oh3KH6hgDPhUZsI

Leicester City tipped as ideal club with Manchester United ready to sell midfielder
The forward looks set to move away from Old Trafford in January with Sheffield United, Brighton and Hove Albion and Aston Villa amid the clubs linked.

Former Premier League player Trevor Sinclair has said that Manchester United midfielder Jesse Lingard would be a ‘very useful’ signing for Leicester City, where he would ‘suit the manager’s ethos’.

The 28-year-old looks to be heading to the exit doors at Old Trafford after failing to make an appearance in either the Premier League or Champions League so far this season.

He'd be good cover for us at least we could give him one game a season. :P

Maybe I’m just feeling a bit grumpy today but how are the random thoughts of a bloke who played football about 20 years ago with no great distinction on whether we should sign some under achieving muppet who can’t buy a game for a rival club and who is on at least £100k pw a thing ?

bah humbug 

no offence Davie - it wasn’t aimed at you :santa:lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

That’s my take on it too. Whilst we have a very good track record at bedding in young players; e.g. Chilwell, Barnes, Soyuncu, Fofana now Thomas, this is a position that is key to the side. If we were going to break our transfer record, then doing it for Vardy’s successor when he’s 36 to come in immediately and start scoring sounds right to me. Vardy could still well be an impact player at that time too. 

The issue is that signing will always be a risk. We famously signed Akinbiyi after selling Heskey and forcing Collymore out of the club and it got us relegated! But these days our scouting is much better so I’d be surprised if we got it spectacularly wrong like that again. 

When we do make the signing I expect it will be a young player. It won’t be someone like Mbappe or Haaland - IE young players who are expected to go to the very top, but it could be someone like Oshimen who went to Napoli this season and is by all accounts doing well. So probably someone under 25 that is highly rated from the French / Dutch / Portuguese leagues. 

All that said, it wouldn’t surprise me if we signed Edouard from Celtic either. I’ve always been impressed by him and he’s worked with Rodgers before. There is some bad blood between the two, but one visit to Seagrave would fix that pretty quickly!

Everyone is taking about needing to replace Vardy in a year or two. But is it possible, given his late entry into the professional game, the way he is playing these days (ie conserving energy and just focusing on goal scoring), advances in fitness training and his naturally lean physique, that he could play at the top level for another 4 or 5 years? Ibrahimovic is still highly effective at 39, for example.

35 minutes ago, surrifox said:

Maybe I’m just feeling a bit grumpy today but how are the random thoughts of a bloke who played football about 20 years ago with no great distinction on whether we should sign some under achieving muppet who can’t buy a game for a rival club and who is on at least £100k pw a thing ?

bah humbug 

no offence Davie - it wasn’t aimed at you :santa:lol

None taken I only posted it for a laugh, nearly put it in the joke thread.

• Like 1