Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Kasper Schmeichel

Just now, ClaphamNorthFox said:

I agree, but to captain a cup winning side and win the league with us surpasses Banks / Shilton now in my opinion. 

Well, I think Banksy might still nudge it with his World Cup Winners medal and that save in Mexico.

It's said great players are judged by what they do in the big games.

I can only imagine the pressure Kasper was under with his Father having won it previously along with several league titles.

What a performance from the him, and those two saves which he must have seen late.

He can now say Dad I've done it too.

He's now officially a true legend.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sampson said:

According to some on here, error-prone Kasey Keller and Tim Flowers who had about 6 great months for us, were still better...

Players are always judged differently when they are still playing. Keller and Flowers both helped us to trophies but Schmeichel's overall presence and his ability in big moments mark him as the best since Shilton and Banks.

It's one hell of an act to follow in a few years.

14 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

You just sensed he was doing it all for Vichai. Like I don’t know if anyone’s seen The Quick and the Dead? But Sharon Stone’s character isn’t anywhere near as fast in the draw as Gene Hackman but she beats him in the final shoot out to avenge her father. Gene’s like “but you’re not as fast as me” and ol’ Sharon says “today I am”.  That’s like Kasper. Today he was. Today he was the best ever. Sorry. Rambling. Basically, nice one Kasps. X 

Love that film, great analogy.

vlcsnap-2011-03-31-09h35m08s2511.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Well, I think Banksy might still nudge it with his World Cup Winners medal and that save in Mexico.

Unlike outfield play , goalkeeping doesn't change that much. I saw both Banks and Shilton many times. Kasper's shot stopping and agility is just as good as them. He doesn't dominate his area like they did though and that has been his major weakness. His father however I would rate as one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time. What Kasper has though is a tremendous personality and leadership qualities and that has been crucial in our recent success.

Just now, An Sionnach said:

Unlike outfield play , goalkeeping doesn't change that much. I saw both Banks and Shilton many times. Kasper's shot stopping and agility is just as good as them. He doesn't dominate his area like they did though and that has been his major weakness. His father however I would rate as one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time. What Kasper has though is a tremendous personality and leadership qualities and that has been crucial in our recent success.

I beg to differ with your assertion that "goalkeeping doesn't change that much". You only have to look at the myriad of rule changes affecting goalkeepers since the 1960's to know that is not true.

The fact is a goalkeeper is expected to play like an outfield nowadays as well as have all the attributes such as sense of positioning and being a good shot-stopper. Long gone are the days where keepers predominately just used their hands.

Edited by David Hankey

32 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

I beg to differ with your assertion that "goalkeeping doesn't change that much". You only have to look at the myriad of rule changes affecting goalkeepers since the 1960's to know that is not true.

The fact is a goalkeeper is expected to play like an outfield nowadays as well as have all the attributes such as sense of positioning and being a good shot-stopper. Long gone are the days where keepers predominately just used their hands.

As I remember many a goalkeeper made last ditch tackles outside of their areas and occaisionally bamboozling opposition forwards with their footwork. A good many were quality outfield players if not of the highest standard.

• Like 1

I was one of the people that fancied Ben Hamer over Schmeichel a few years ago, can’t believe how silly that sounds now. He’s got to be in the top 3 goalkeepers we’ve ever had, 100% a big game player. Those 2 saves he made yesterday especially the second were absolutely world class, and won us potentially the biggest game in the clubs history. One of the most consistent goalkeepers of the last 5 years and fully deserving of his winners medal

• Like 1

He didn't put a foot wrong the entire game. Even without the 2 jaw dropping saves it was still a near perfect performance in any case.

I'd still say his finest hour was Sevilla in the Champions League. He pulled off some outrageous saves when the foundations of Nigel Pearson's era were collapsing all around him.

If anyone wants to argue in favour of Last Saturday I wouldn't complain though.

Legend.

Two worldie saves.

Went to get Vardy away from the interview for celebration.

Offered to lift the cup with Wes. 

Went to get Top.

Get the feeling he takes that armband seriously. What a man.

• Like 2

Amazing shot stopper. Hopless on crosses. The only way he Improve on defending corners is getting him replaced. I'm not saying we should but with him in goal we will concede a lot more from corners. 

• Like 1

Just now, adam said:

Amazing shot stopper. Hopless on crosses. The only way he Improve on defending corners is getting him replaced. I'm not saying we should but with him in goal we will concede a lot more from corners. 

and concede a lot more elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adam said:

I'd also suggest that we mark people rather than standing like statues and hoping the ball comes to our head.

Our set pieces both attacking and defending are proper embarassing under Rodgers.

• Like 1